General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Intensive Training within a long term plan? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-23 7:46 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Intensive Training within a long term plan?
Hi All,

Question for you more experienced folks.  Sometime after the 1st of the year, I'm going to begin training for HIM (did my 1st OLY in Oct).  I will also likely be spending two weeks in Florida in Feb helping my Mom with some things.  From a training perspective, this is also a great opportunity to get in some longer rides, runs and open water swims.  So, the question is... should I bump the mileage up a few notches while I'm there, and if so, how much can you do without risking injury.  I will probably be totally satisfied just having a change of pace from the inside training at that point, but the question got me thinking about the benefits (or risks) of a week or two of more intensive training mixed in with a long-term plan.  Generally, my constraint is time and for those two weeks, it won't be as much of an issue.

Thanks!
Stu

2009-11-23 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2526671

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Intensive Training within a long term plan?
To me it depends on when the vacation falls in line with the race date, the overall training plan that you are using and the way that it is ramped up to get to that point.

Is it a good idea to take advantage of the environment and opportunity?  Sure, as long as you are not taking away from the intent of the trip.  Does that mean you should try and put in 5 hours a day training?  No.  Even people doing a lot of training still need a break.  A couple of longer sessions?  Might be possible.

What I find often happens though is that someone goes hard charging for the first two or three days then gets burned out or tired or just wants to enjoy their vacation.  Then the rest of the time they actually put in LESS than they usually do ......
2009-11-23 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2526700

User image

Expert
Thanks for your thoughts Rick.  This won't be a vacation per se, but that is for another board ;-)  So we can take the intent out of it... or let's say the intent is to take two weeks to train intensively.  Would that be a good thing to do with regard to the long-term goal of doing an HIM?  Or is it better just to stick to the plan of gradually increasing the distance and intensity.  The race is 4-5 months away at that point.  Would it just be "wasted" effort with regard to the long-term goal (e.g. after a couple of months of return to normal training, the impact of the 2 week intensive is gone) and at my age (50), there is always the risk of injury with sudden increases (which definitely hurts the long-term goal). 

Thanks again!
Stu
2009-11-23 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2527085

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
The best way to be able to do larger blocks of work is to do it "low and slow."  So if you approach it with that attitude and have the abilities to ramp up to the mileage you'd like to do, then I see no reason not to try something like that.

But you need to have plan for it, you need to have decent recovery built in and you need to be able to adapt and change to how the first few days proceed.  i.e. - Have a secondary plan to back it up.

The beauty of cycling is you can do it with longer periods at low intensity back to back to back.  If you got out and rode 3 - 4 hours a day maybe 4 or 5 days each week you would more than likely reap a lot of rewards from that.

Edited by Daremo 2009-11-23 1:49 PM
2009-11-23 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2527462

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
Daremo - 2009-11-23 2:48 PM

The best way to be able to do larger blocks of work is to do it "low and slow."  So if you approach it with that attitude and have the abilities to ramp up to the mileage you'd like to do, then I see no reason not to try something like that.

But you need to have plan for it, you need to have decent recovery built in and you need to be able to adapt and change to how the first few days proceed.  i.e. - Have a secondary plan to back it up.

The beauty of cycling is you can do it with longer periods at low intensity back to back to back.  If you got out and rode 3 - 4 hours a day maybe 4 or 5 days each week you would more than likely reap a lot of rewards from that.

Yep 2X on this, low and slow 4 or 5 days for the week on the bike will rock your world come spring. So long as you keep some bike fitness throught the down time.
2009-11-23 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2527481

User image

Expert
Thanks Rick and Aus... that seems like excellent advice and a worthwhile investment of time.  Can definitely improve my biking performance and endurance some and that would be a great time for me to put in some hours.  Mainly wanted to make sure I wasn't going to lose the investment.  Secondary plan duly noted :-)
-Stu

2009-11-23 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2526671

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
A friend of mine heads to California for a week or two every winter.  He generally gets 100 or so miles in on the bike in a regular training week but on these trips does well over 250.  Long and slow, generally hooking on the wheel of a buddy of his and just going.  He loves it and says he always comes back stronger and much more motivated...a few hundred miles of riding in the sun will do that to you during a long, cold winter in the Northeast. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Intensive Training within a long term plan? Rss Feed