General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody in West Michigan???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-11-24 10:33 PM

User image

Subject: Anybody in West Michigan????
Hey everyone!

I am new to this whole TRI thing too and to the BT website. I posted a thread on the "Introduce Yourself" link - but i thought i would try to connect with the locals. I have never done a triathlon before - I have always wanted to, but with college and everything else that goes along with it i never had the time, energy, or money.  Now that i've graduated (as of April '09) i am hell-bent to start making my goals a reality. I want to participate in several TRIs this coming summer of 2010 and hopefully a half IM in September 2010. With our loooooong Michigan winters this will definitely give me enough time to get ready for some spring/summer races.
Are there any training groups in the W.Michigan area that I would be able to connect with? I am from the Muskegon area and I would LOVE to find a group to train with and keep me accountable as well. Training on your own is pretty challenging the first time around.

Let me know if you're out there

Arianne

2009-11-25 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2530441

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
Subject: RE: Anybody in West Michigan????
I live south of Grand Rapids.  The only training groups I know of in the area are tied to Gazelle sports.  I know they have a training program designed to get people prepared for their first triathlon.  I'd be happy to find some others to train with but I am an hour away from Muskegon. 
2009-11-25 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
The Trizelle group is great for the first timer. I used it and loved it. I would use it again but I have moved up to the longer races so training with a group for a sprint wont do me much good.

2009-11-26 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

There are a few of us on the west coast (Muskegon, GH) but most are in the GR area.  I live in Norton Shores.  I have not found any triathlon teams or training groups locally.   I have only been living here for 7 months.   Breakaway and a couple of the GH bike shops have group rides alot in the summer.  The Y has a masters class although I have not attended.  I swim at GH in the early AM as it is much cheaper to swim there.  Not sure on a running group.  Maybe try a challenge group here on BT to keep you motivated.

Good Luck!

2009-11-26 6:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
I live in Grand Haven.  Ditto much of what Ryan said.  I too swim at the Grand Haven High School pool, and train by myself.  I would be interested in training with a partner.  I need someone to push me.  I completed my first season last year. 

Kelly
2009-11-27 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
First, welcome to BT, great site, great place to find out anything and everything you want about triathlon or any one of the disciplines....

Grand Rapids is all I know about and they have two well known Tri-Teams, in addition to Tri-zelle which I'm less familiar with.

Village Bike Shop tri-team: you can find info on them from the Village Bike site.  I know a few members on this team and there are a lot of organized group trainings, great team for someone getting into the sport.

Blink:  I see members of this team at various events I do and they are fast.  Not as much into group rides, swims, runs etc.  I looked at joining their team and when i asked about these things I was told it isn't done a lot.  People pair up based on ability but don't do much group stuff.

Since you're in Muskegon you'll need to determine how far you want to drive for your training.  I would check out the local bike shops and ask about triathlon because you know being on the lakeshore there are a lot of triathletes there, you just need to find them...

Good luck, welcome to the sport and site.  Lots of great information can be found here.  Just don't be sensitive as there are plenty of "stat padders" who love to see their post counts go up so they will comment on anything and everything and usually with attitude....

2009-11-29 2:06 PM

User image

Regular
Rockford, MI

Although I ran my first tri last year, I'm still a beginner.  My Reed's Lake 2009 Report  I'm very interested in either starting up a training group or finding some training partners.  Something informal.  I usually swim at the Y, downtown and Belmont.  I run/bike on the White Pine Trail.  I've just been training by myself and I think having a partner (or two) would be great.  I live in the Rockford area.  Drop me a note if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Ethan

2009-11-29 3:52 PM

User image

I would definitely be interested in forming some type  of a  training group for the west michigan area. I am a beginner - but I am really determined and really want to do a couple of TRIs this summer/fall of 2010...however, I do need accountability and some people to push me - especially during our Michigan winters it's pretty hard to stay motivated!!! I know a few of you mentioned that you would be interested in being training buddies - so maybe we could all figure something out. Let me know what you think.

2009-11-29 8:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
I would be interested in having some sort of training group as well.  I know the east siders all meet together and run and bike at Kensington.  Maybe there is somewhere around Grand Rapids that would be fairly central for us to all meet to train. 
2009-11-29 11:24 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Check out blink. Those dudes are fast, organized, dedicated, and beginner-friendly.

I've met prolly 20 of 'em at races, they're all nice and palatable, and solid peeps. No affiliation with 'em other than to know that if you S/B/R with 'em, you'll have fun and get better.
2009-11-30 4:52 PM

User image

Regular
Rockford, MI
I'm sure the blink folks are fine, but it is too much for me.  They appear to be in-it-to-win-it.  Sure I want to get better, but I'll never be at the top.  Plus, at this point, I'm not looking to pay to join a training group.  That's ok for others, just not for me right now.  Smile

Anyway, perhaps the Musketawa Trail could be someplace "in the middle" for the run/bike when the weather gets better.  Musketawa Trail

2009-12-01 7:25 PM

User image

Stanton
I am in for a west Michigan training group.  No use the east side having all the fun.  I am booked solid until March, but lets something going in the spring.  Go West Coast.
2009-12-01 8:56 PM

User image

Yeah - the winter is pretty rough to try to get anything going, but until we can actually get something off the ground - in terms of a training group, perhaps we can keep in contact and accountable on BT.
2009-12-01 9:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI

Sounds good to me.  I post all my workouts on my log, to me its an easy way to be accountable and have others see what you have been doing. 

On a side note, anyone doing the resolution run in East Grand Rapids on the 31st?  I haven't signed up yet but I'm sort of planning on doing it. 

2009-12-01 10:31 PM
in reply to: #2538774

User image

I would like to do it but I have no idea what my New Year's plans will be - I may be out of town. But who knows - I may decide to do it after all. I actually kind of fell off the wagon the last couple weeks with my workouts - with the holiday and I just started a new job - so it's been alot all at once - so maybe that race will give me a little push to get back into everything

2009-12-02 10:52 AM

User image

Regular
Rockford, MI
I'm up for getting something going in the Spring.  Currently, I'm working on training for the RiverBank 25k so I'm fairly busy.  I'm a Y member, anybody else?

2009-12-02 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2539552

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI

Hi everyone,
This sounds great to me. I'm in. I've trained mostly by myself. Last year was very similar to what Arianne is thinking about. Started training in September. Did a handfull of 5k, and a 25k in May. 3 sprints, one oly and a HIM in August. It is very doable. Stay close to BT, and get a group of people together that at the very least, can look at your logs and give you support.
As far as training with people, I've done it in the past, and am ready to go again. I've trained a little with Craig, and have joined the east siders once for a made up tri, and met a bunch of them at Steelhead. They are great people, but I'm pretty sure if we do it right, we could have a faster group on the West Side Wink

I just started a 25k training plan this week for the Riverbank run in May. I'll be heavily run focused for the winter. I'd love to get a group together to train with. Maybe it could be the long run every week or something. I'm on the NE side of GR. Regularly run and bike the white pine, and have done the whole Muskatawa too.

I'm open to ideas. Let me know what you think. I also grew up in Muskegon, so I'm out there pretty regularly too. 

2009-12-03 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2538774

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
CraigT - 2009-12-01 10:14 PM

Sounds good to me.  I post all my workouts on my log, to me its an easy way to be accountable and have others see what you have been doing. 

On a side note, anyone doing the resolution run in East Grand Rapids on the 31st?  I haven't signed up yet but I'm sort of planning on doing it. 

I did that race numerous times when it was New Year's Day... However now that it's New Year's Eve it's lost the appeal... IMHO of course.....
2009-12-03 8:35 PM

User image

I think I will go ahead and  train for the 25k that's in May.  I need to definitely work on my running since that has become a weak point of mine over the past several years. Plus, this race would be a good kick off to the spring/summer racing season - and it would be nice to just run and not have to get in the water!!! Sealed

I think it would be great to maybe coordinate something for the long runs. I used to live in GR and go there frequently and am very familiar with the area.

2009-12-10 11:17 PM

User image

So I'm not much of a swimmer - how do I start training for that??? Should I take a class? I know how to swim - but not properly.
2009-12-11 5:27 AM

User image

Regular
Rockford, MI
I'm a terrible swimmer.  I think I might have been last in the swim at Reed's Lake.  I can swim a mile, it just takes a long time.

Anyway, I've taken swim lessons at the Y and they have been helpful.  Both times, I've run into folks who are learning to swim so they can tri.  I've found learning to swim freestyle as an adult has been difficult, but I'm still working on it.

E

2009-12-11 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2553548

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

rabbitar - 2009-12-11 12:17 AM So I'm not much of a swimmer - how do I start training for that??? Should I take a class? I know how to swim - but not properly.

When I decided to do triathlon a couple years ago...my sister gave me the book Total Immersion.  I read that book cover to cover before I ever jumped in the water.  I knew that swimming was very technical and that it was better to pick up good habits in the beginning then try to fix wrong ones down the line.  I immediately started doing the drills after reading the book and it was just a gradual build up to where I became pretty efficient in a short time.

I came from zero swimming background...I think this is a good way to go and I would not do anything different if I could go back.  Good Luck!

Ryan

2009-12-11 9:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
There is a triathlon swim class that is offered at the Grand Haven Pool. It  is starting in January and is late Sunday afternoons.  I took all three sessions last year.  The groups were small about 5-8 people.  You can check it out at the North Ottawa Recreation Program or go to ghaps.org and follow the link to the aquatic center.  I may signing up again.  I'm sure my technique could use some more coaching. 
2009-12-17 9:48 AM

Rockford, MI
Hey guys and gals, after a year off from triaing for Tri's/marathons/etc, I am back in the game.

I live north of GR, Rockford area, but would love to find a central place to train. For running, Muskatawa trail (towards Coopersville) would be sort of central. Swimming, not sure though, crappy weather we could do Dowtown YMCA.... until the weather turns... then maybe group open water swims in Lake Michigan????
2009-12-17 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2564398

User image

Regular
Rockford, MI
I suspect you are near me.  Northland drive and Seven mile.  I'm not starting up the tri training until about mid-January as I'm currently training for the River Bank Run.  (I'll still be training for that, but I'll also be working on the tri training.)  When the weather warms up, I'm game for some company on the bike/run.

Ethan
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody in West Michigan???? Rss Feed  

of 4