General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint Triathlon SWIM Butterflies, need advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-07 9:32 AM

Dirty Jersey; NJ, NY & CT Races
Subject: First Sprint Triathlon SWIM Butterflies, need advice?
Hi all,

I have my first sprint this Saturday. June 12 - 20th Ann. NY TRI/BI-ATHLON SERIES #1
Harriman State Park - Tri: Swim-1/2mi. Bike-16mi. Run-3 mi.

I've been training well, and put myself through a rehearsal brick workout last Saturday, so I've definitely got the endurance to do this, but I'm nervous about the swim.

Although I've spent hours and hours in the pool, I can't seem to keep my heart rate down once I'm up at 100 Meters swimming freestyle at a breath every 3 strokes. I typically will switch to side stroke, or even flip over onto my back until my BPMs come back down, so I know I'll be able to finish the swim.

How can I keep my heart rate down so I don't tire and panic for long a longer duration? Is it my breathing? I've tried switching up my breaths between 2 freestyle strokes & 3 strokes, because I though oxygen was the problem. But I noticed that the faster the interval of breaths between strokes, lets say a breath every 2 strokes, my bpms climb faster than @ 3 strokes. And if I go for 4 strokes, its too long between breaths, that my bmps start to climb fast as well.

Do I need to slow down my swim pace? If I do that, it seems like I'm swimming so slow?
What is the secret to keeping my BPM's down in the swim?

If you have any advice please shoot it too me. I could use the help and reassurance. Thanks guys.

2005-06-07 9:48 AM
in reply to: #170236

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: First Sprint Triathlon SWIM Butterflies, need advice?

dajeeman357 - 2005-06-07 9:32 AM Do I need to slow down my swim pace? If I do that, it seems like I'm swimming so slow? What is the secret to keeping my BPM's down in the swim? If you have any advice please shoot it too me. I could use the help and reassurance. Thanks guys.

Yup, you're working too hard.  Better form will make you more efficient, but that's not likely to happen for you before your race.  Just plan to take it slow during your race so you'll have enough energy left for the bike and run.

2005-06-07 9:55 AM
in reply to: #170253

Thanks IMNOTJOKING. I'm thinking of taking on a swim coach to help improve my swim. I recently found out about the Tot Immer.. method, so maybe this summer I'll go for it. I know they have a clinic in the area.

I'll take it slow like you suggested. Thanks again, Happy Racing!

~GMAN
2005-06-07 10:37 AM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-06-07 1:17 PM
in reply to: #170301

Thanks for the reassurance and supprot misscullen. my strategy at this point is to lineup at the rear of the wave, and start out nice and slow. and I get closer to 3/4's to the end of the swim I'll increase my stroke. I've got a few days to work on my technique, so I'm gonna ask the local swim instructor for some last minute tips on how to save energy.

Being my first real deal triathlon, I don't expect to even place, but I'm set on finishing, no matter how long it takes.

Thanks again!

~GMAN
2005-06-07 5:14 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
I swam for 17 years competitively and still breathe every stroke (as most professionals do as well). That will immediately change your hr. Remember, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast."-courtesy of Coach Rich Strauss.

2005-06-07 5:52 PM
in reply to: #170678

Thank Tri love. Slow and smooth is what I'm gonna work on between now and Saturday. I know its not much time at all, but its the first race of the season for me, and a plan on doing at least 4 more through October. Much appreciated

~DG
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint Triathlon SWIM Butterflies, need advice? Rss Feed