of 7

2010-03-31 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2579668

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED

Hi All,

Good to hear from you. It looks like the weather is finally improving around the world. So outdoor training becomes the norm instead of a wish. Where my course is, about an hour north of Tampa we had the 2nd coldest winter recorded. WHAT!!!! but things are improving. We'll be whining about it being hot soon. Anyway, I did my spring training event last weekend, good race it is a small local event which is good to start the season with. 2nd in agegroup, but very encouraging. The guy who got first beat us by a bunch last year, this year closed the gap some. I had a very good bike/run segment, legs feel great probably my best bike -run ever. It was a sprint but I rode hard and didn't suffer from it on the run. So very encouraged next event is on April 10th 1000 people, it is a sprint as well but I'm looking forward to it.

Good to see that you guys are getting some work and your seeing improvements in the swim. Like biking and running, you got to swim to improve. So keep it up.

Can't wait to hear how your first events go as race days are quickly approaching.

2010-04-03 2:07 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello Everyone,

Second event for this year, the zwemloop Almere, literally that means (swim-run and Almere is the place where I live in the Netherlands). I did the sprint distance 500m-5K. The swimming did not go too well, I decided for a conservative start and it's a strategy that never works for me. I did 11:59, 54sec transition, and a solid run with the 5K in 22:41. That gives me a finish time of 35:36, I don't know how that measures to others yet, the results are not out yet.

I had targeted 35 for that particular event, so I'm quite pleased with my race, even if the swim let me down a bit, the training is well on track it seems. 

Hope everyone had a good weekend, cheers, H.  
2010-04-03 11:46 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hi again,

So the results are out, did finish in 15 position out of 33, there were no age categories (cause I think I would have been better off with age groups everyone looked like a junior to me). My great swimming performance granted me the 31 position (I wasn't last...) but I had the 14th fastest running time, which I'm pleased with at this time of the season.

I really need to get that swimming under the 10 minutes on 500 if I want some level of performance, so still some work to do!

Great weekend everyone, H 
2010-04-05 4:23 PM

New user
Greetings all!

I had a great weekend training and had a really good ride on Saturday. The weather has been chilly and wet here in Northern California, but is supposed to improve this week.

Still training for the marathon in June and finding time to get seom swimming in as well.

Hope everyone is well.

David
2010-04-05 4:28 PM

New user
Roy -

Are we disbanding? I see a note about the Winter Mentor program closing and a new one will begin.

David
2010-04-06 6:48 AM
in reply to: #2769732

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

dwarner63 - 2010-04-05 5:28 PM Roy -

Are we disbanding? I see a note about the Winter Mentor program closing and a new one will begin.

David

Hello to you all, the winter mentor program has an informal deadline, but we can certainly continue our conversations. Last year I kept my group going well into late summer/early fall. So it is up to you all if you wish to continue to share and converse about the upcoming season. Seems like we have just started to get the season going, but that is the intent of the winter mentor to get the ball rolling for the participants.

So please give me your feedback about whether to continue or close it out. Its fun to get to know others even if it is via a computer. And this year having our athletes from Europe was a nice addition.

2010-04-07 2:36 PM

New user
I'm all in Roy and like this group! But, understand others may feel differently.

David
2010-04-08 1:37 AM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
I also enjoy the group and look forward to know how everyone is going to do now that race season as started, I would NOT mind continuing for a while. 

H.

Edited by HerveB 2010-04-08 12:19 PM
2010-04-12 11:31 AM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
first long ride this weekend, 120km very low average (25km/h) but very very strong wind! I was quite tired when I finally got home! I wonder how the swimming is going to work out tonight...
2010-04-13 1:36 AM

User image

First race of the year is only 13 days away - and the usual training panic has set it.

Just going to enjoy it and use it as a training session.

Weather has been gorgeous here for a week and should continue until the weekend; managed to get quite a few 5kms in at reasonable pace (for me) - still struggling to break 30mins though. Swimming is slowly improving but still struggling to get more than 100m front crawl in - however last night I was doing some drills and I felt something just click and did a couple of lengths without thinking about my breathing my feet my arms everything. Mind you some of the lane etiquette needs improving - thought it was open water for a moment :-)

Bike is still slow to get going - been using the turbo trainer and will get out this weekend to practice ride the course for the upcoming event.

Started doing some strength work - just light stuff to get the muscles moving.

Really enjoying this forum hope to continue; what's everyone got planned for April/May??

And.
2010-04-13 12:09 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hi Andy, 

Try not stressing too much (easier said than done I know). Generally, it's when you don't think about your time that you perform at your best. You should probably don't train too much this week either, you will want to overcompensate (that is rest, stretch, and rest some more - works for me). Also, go really easy on the strength training, it's a bit late in the season to get started and you don't want to break something before the party starts. If it's for cycling, generally at this time of the season, you try working on high RPM (above 90RPM) that will get you the kind of pace you're looking for. 

Good luck for this weekend, keep us posted on the results, H.  

No event for me this month, but May will be busy and it's around the corner  

2010-04-13 1:08 PM

User image

Thanks Herve - the race is next weekend but next week will be all about keeping loose.

Good advice about the strength training - I am keeping it really light more.

Just done a nice 30 min run - 4.3 km with some nice hills. Got to have a sub 30min 5km in me somewhere!!

Edited by andrew.robbins 2010-04-13 1:18 PM
2010-04-14 4:09 PM

User image

Great swim tonight - 3 x 100m and not losing form until the last 25m.

Quick nutrition question - everyone seems to be drinking protein shakes or eating bars. Does it really work or is it only after a certain amount of exercise?

It's all gone very quiet on here - what are people up to?

Edited by andrew.robbins 2010-04-14 4:10 PM
2010-04-16 5:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hello Guys,

Sorry for my lack of posting, been busy work, training etc. Life. Anyway good to see you have posted recently. Andrew like Herve said take it easy, have fun in your race. I raced last weekend, kind of a training event yet it is one where I want to do well at 19/79 in my age group. With that said, had a good swim 1/2mile open water ocean swim, the bike, YECK! rode like a sissy. I think my mentality is set for my Half Ironman in May, because thats the way I rode when I should have been going all ought. Only a 10 mile bike with a head wind, but still not pleased with the results. The run went fine, legs are feeling really good off of the bike, that is encouraging. I've got 4 weeks until 70.3 at Disney. I'm a little undertrained on the bike, nothing new there. But the next two weekends I have long bikes and a couple of long runs scheduled. So if those go well I think I'll be OK. The nutrition on the bike is where I've faltered on the last two HIMs. So got to force myself to take in calories on the bike this time around.

Andrew as to protein drinks. I use whey protein either as a shake post workout, or straight up with low fat milk just before bed. It really helps with recovery. So I wouldn't shy away from them. Just watch what kind of product your using as the protein source. Protein bars can help fill the hunger needs following a workout, if you buy the bars that have a lot of protein in them they can make you feel a little weird for a while after you eat it. At least thats my experience. I usually only eat about 1/2 at a time, and I don't buy bars much. I usually just stick to whey protein.

Edited by tri/tbay 2010-04-16 5:54 AM
2010-04-16 9:26 AM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Have been blocked in Paris by the volcano in Island... I think I got the last train ticket to Amsterdam left in Europe. Anyway, long journey home. Next week, I'm supposed to go to the UK, I might pass.

I don't know the first thing about nutrition, I'm quite old school for that matter - I'd listen to Roy's advices for that matter. 

I'm also 4 weeks away from a Sprint Tri - it's long 4 weeks and I'm doing volume training now, can't wait to race. Next week is my abs week (it's gonna hurt) I received a nice Orca tri suit I bought for this season, if anything I look good this year

Have a nice weekend, and God speed to you Andy, H 
2010-04-22 2:27 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Are we really closed? 

I was wondering how you did Andy with your first Tri of the season???

Should we get into a summer discussion group?

Cheers, H.  

2010-04-25 3:03 PM

User image

Did it!!

1:39:53; Swim 10:04, Bike 56:14, Run 33:35. Finished 357/400.

Warm day and muggy about 19c.
Swim was good but still struggled with the Front crawl, did a strong 100m then the last 300m BS, this caused problems later.
Bike was ok, long uphill to the turnaround into a headwind but the roads were very rough after the winter. Had a strong return through transition - this was were the problems started. My legs particularly were really aching and throbbing. Took 3 mins in transition just to get calmed down enough to run.

Run was very undulating; managed to run nearly to the turn point but there was one really big hill and that did me. Ran and walked until about 1 mile to go and run all the way back in. Very please to see my wife and other friends competing.

Lessons to learn I think - save something in my legs for the run I think I went out to hard on the bike and also the breast stroke saps the legs more than front crawl. Also needed to hydrate more been struggling a bit all night.

Thanks for your support Herve and Roy - it's great being an "unattached" competitor and having someone to spur you on.

Next race in 3 weeks, so it can't have been that bad!!

2010-04-26 2:17 AM
in reply to: #2815193

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Great news! Well done Andy.

Tri is tough when you're having a good day, it becomes soon excruciating when things are not going exactly your way.

Seems like you had a pretty strong swim, even with the BS. One tip I can give you on the bike is to pace yourself in the first 5Ks or so (it's easier if you have a heart monitor - trying not to get too high - then start getting to your cruise speed till the end), finally start preparing your transition on the last K, with slowing down and increasing your RPM and stretching your legs (without taking risk with your safety, as in unclipping your shoes, stretching with one hand, and handling your bike with elbow...). The few seconds you will loose here, can turn in minutes during T2. I am a fair runner I think, but if I go all out on the bike, I also get to pay the bill on the run. 

Next week I have a timetrial on the bike (28K) that will be a good test of fitness.

have a nice week, H.  
2010-04-27 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Greetings,

Nice job Andrew in your event. Defintely pacing the bike is a hard lesson to learn at first, we see the pros going so hard but yet even they are pacing their efforts. Take what you gained from this event and use it as your preparation for the next one. Then you'll have a race plan formulated for down the road.

Herve good luck with your TT, is it a flat course?   My neighbors are from England they had company coming but were delayed several days getting flights due the ash.

I'm in my final two training weeks for the Disney 70.3, feeling pretty good and my confidence is good. Now just have to go use what I've have learned from my previous HIMs and hopefully get it done the right way. For me it's been not enough calories on the bike but I think I've got it dialed in this time. I need around 700-800 calories for the bike segment, in training I've been just short of this and can see I need just a bit more. My legs have felt good off the bike for my bricks so we'll see how it goes. 

2010-04-28 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2819772

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
It's your A race isn't it Roy? Sounds exciting. I wish you good luck hoping that your game plan comes together. 

My TT is all flat but the main danger will be the wind, it's quite a windy spot. But, everyone will have to deal with it, so we'll see how it goes (hills would have been better for me). Tomorrow, I'm off so I'll have a full training day and then I'll start tapering.

Today I've entered the Amsterdam Marathon (in October), It's far away, and I'll do only the half distance though, but I've never been above 12K, so I wonder how it's going to go. 

Anyway, good training and good race everyone, H. 

2010-04-29 11:52 PM

New user
Greetings all -

First of all I have been down and out injured so my training time has been limited. Glad to see everyone is doing well and Andy...Congrats!

I hope to back in the saddle fully in the next few days. I still have this marathon I am training for on June 6th in San Diego.

Still have yet to get any open water swimming in here. I am hoping there will be some chances in May with some folks from the tri club.

Hope everyone is well!

David

2010-05-03 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2827597

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hey David, 

Welcome back, sorry to read you got injured, that's something that awaits anyone of us. So, far I have been lucky, I hope it continues. Well, get better is all I can say.

This weekend, I did a time trial on 28K. The conditions were epic! Rain, cold 8 degrees (c), and wind against for 2/3 of the course - this all concurred to a bad time 57 min (30,32km/h avg when I was hoping for 35) the winner was the same as last year, though he was 4km/h slower than last year. I can't say I'm pleased with my time, but given the conditions I guess it's not too bad. 

Now in two weeks, first tri (looking very much forward to that) I hope that the weather will improve.

Cheers, H.  
2010-05-05 2:23 AM

User image

Hi,

Went for a run last night first training since my race - been lazy and far too many social events!

5km - 35mins, without stopping - seems to be my par time at the moment. Need to work on getting that time down.

Got my next race in 10 days and starting with a bit of a head cold which is typical. Going to keep out of the pool for a few days and get some light runs and some turbo work in.

Cheers,

And.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7