EndorFun
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 42m 33s
Overall Rank = 327/395
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 29/33
Pre-race routine:

WARNING: Long Report. May contain drama unsuitable for persons interested in only the facts :)

Wake up an hour before leaving. Drank a cup of coffee and 2 EAS Advant Edge Nutrition Energy drinks.

Remind myself on the drive up that it was nice to have a goal time in mind (6:29:59), but my ultimate goal was to finish, and pace myself so I could finish the triathlon running.
Event warmup:

Just set up transition area and jog a little bit. Oh, and help that old guy max get his wetsuit zipped up.
Swim
  • 37m 41s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Newfound Lake. Clean water, big buoys.

Usually this event is my strongest of the 3, but I didn't do too well compared to the rest of the field. I felt relaxed but trying to swim like I do in a pool (with a black line to look at to assure that I am going straight) in open water doesn't cut it. I pull to the right A LOT. My stroke while attempting to site was non-existent, it's basically just stopping dead in my tracks and FIXING my course as I never found that I was ever going in my planned direction when I checked where I was.

Typical start where you bump into other swimmers and get kicked or inadvertantly jostled around.

The 60-degree water temperature was perfect for a full suit. No need for booties or neoprene cap although some swimmers opted for wearing them (Race Director was closely monitoring the water temp. in the previous weeks because it was in the 50s up until a week prior.)
What would you do differently?:

Get more comfortable sighting while swimming and STRAIGHTEN UP! Probably do more left-armed one arm drills in the pool to counter that severe right-pulling tendency.
Transition 1
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

Took my time in transition. 56 miles is a long way to have forgotten something, so I took my time. Wore my bike shorts over my tri suit that I was testing (never did have the opportunity to do a long ride in just the tri suit padding to see if it would work for me).

Rinsed my feet off and dried them before putting on socks.

Stuck 3 Accelgels in the cut-out slot of my saddle (hey, that cutout has use for more than one purpose!) so I'd remember to put them in my pocket and didn't have to fumble around looking for them laid out on my towel. 2 other gels were already taped to my frame.

Wore a camelbak on the ride - glad I did so I could have my fave drink with me when I wanted to drink and not wait to happen upon an aid station. Probably my best move of the day, since it was much hotter this weekend from the rest of our spring.

Nothing. I placed everything where I'd logistically need them, took my time and didn't forget anything. I guess I could have gone thru the transition with a little more sense of urgency, but why?
Bike
  • 3h 41m 45s
  • 56.25 miles
  • 15.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Lots of rolling hills and a few notable ones. As already reported from the Mooseman Quarter Iron reports, the hill by the marina where the Devil Lady was was the one I was worried about the most, especially having to do it a second time. I had to do a quad check about 3 miles approaching the evil hill the second time to make sure they had enough juice in them to climb. Not that I'd have had any issues with pushing my bike up it (which may have been faster), but coming to the race, my goal was to ride up it. TWICE.

The leg up Rte 104, Ragged Mtn Hwy, was just one laborious bastard of a climb. Some roads were rougher than others, and I am glad I didn't flat. I was worried about the roads enough that I carried 2 tubes and 2 cartridges.

It sucked climbing the hills, but I loved going down a few of the steep ones and pedalling like crazy down them in my biggest gear to gain momentum going back up the next one. This course worried me so I rode it once while training for this race (I also raced on it last year when it was an Olympic - THAT was a pretty shitty surprise the first time).

There were good caution/warning signs for the descending hills that had turns in them. For those planning this tri in the future, be careful of the steep turning downhill by the firehouse. Rumor is that one athlete took it too fast today and lost control, and they found her up in the trees. Luckily she was right by the fire station and the firefighters were out there cheering and she was tended to immediately. Just what I heard!

Also the course isn't closed to traffic. There were reports that one cyclist got hit by a car - bad enough that the ambulance was called out.

I had to pace myself so that I could come off the bike and finish the run. It worked pretty well, as I'd done my fastest mile coming off the bike, and that mile felt the least difficult of the 13.

After having back issues towards the end of April and acknowledging it finally in early May, I had to pay very close attention to my back and stand on my pedals and change position often as soon as I felt it act up. I'm thankful that I completed the whole 56 miles.

Nothing. Actually, slow down when taking water from the aid station. Never really ever grabbed a glass of water from someone holding it out for me and splashed the poor kid who I came across first. Tried again a few feet later at the same speed and splashed that kid too. Needless to say, I never got a cup of water to pour through my helmet, and I'm not sure what those kids really called me, but it started with a "b".

There were aid stations every 10 miles on the bike course.
Transition 2
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

Took my time again.

Took off bike shorts. I don't get out of my bike shoes and leave them attached to the pedals - ran with bike shoes from dismount to rack, changed shoes in my transition area. and Screwed around with the ponytail, changing it from a low one so my helmet fit to a higher one which is more comfortable with the hair off my neck while I'm running. Of course my mop was all tangled up and so that killed a lot of time. I didn't forget my race number belt which I was worried I'd do (I normally pin my number to a top that I ride and run in, but didn't wear a shirt today, just the tri suit).

Trade the bike sticker on mine with a tri bike that I'd like to bring home instead of my clunker road bike. Ditch my bike and re-rack the newly acquired bike in my own space. Maybe just leave the race there and drive away with a hot bike.
Run
  • 2h 15m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Brutal considering there's two hills that were showing absolutely no love. Had to climb both twice! One hill was steep, levelled off for several yards then went up again. The other was near the "out end" of the turn around - it was short but very steep. The second time up it I re-evaluated whether or not it was faster to continue my pathetic "short, choppy stride pseudo-run" climb up it, or take long strides, while swinging my arms while ascending it. I traveled MUCH faster up the hill by "power walk-striding" up it than jogging up it with short steps, so I thought it was a smart choice. By the time I changed my climbing strategy on that hill, it took about 13 more strides to get up the rest of it. I thanked my lucky stars that I didn't get stuck "walking" and resumed right back into jogging the run. I am a person who is afraid to run-walk for fear of not resuming the run back!

I'd been having pain in my metatarsals during runs exceeding approx. 70 minutes lately (I think mostly due to lack of cushioning) so just in case so I wouldn't become completely miserable, I put callous cushions in a special needs bag. I was glad I did, because as predicted, the balls of my feet became sore - I put one on and enjoyed the second half of the half-marathon run. This race was all about being prepared and having fun, not seeing how much misery I can drive myself into and brag about it later!

It was hot, so I drank HEED at every aid station and threw a cup of cold ice water over me. I kept cool during the run. Stayed hydrated, had 3 gels (2 Accelgels I carried with me, and one of the Carbooms they had out on the course), and some Endurolytes. Not as many as I'd planned, but I didn't feel too bad since I'd been taking them on the bike. Plus HEED has a good electrolyte mix in it anyway. I seriously think the Endurolytes helped my run.

In a given field my standings in the run is usually lower overall. I am going to attribute my higher standing today to people not being prepared for the heat which compromised their run, especially after a demanding bike course. I can't say it's the lack of hill training as most of the entrants were from the Northeast/New England.

Maybe look into a more padded insert for my shoes and use them.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold towel, Energice Popsicle and right back into the cool waters of Newfound Lake! But not to swim - had enough of that crap for one day...just to cool my body down.

Burger and Jordan's Ice Cream and Pumpkin muffin after I got out of the water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inherent athletic ability!

Coming into the race, I knew the course, I trained fairly diligently, tapered, and took care of my back when it started becoming sore a month ago. During the race, I kept up my nutrition on the bike, stayed well-hydrated, and kept a can-do and will-do attitude during the whole race. I showed up at the start line relatively healthy considering my back problems and twitchy knee on hills, and crossed the finish line without any real complaints other than the pain in my balls. :)

Maybe dropping 10# and more core work would have been ideal. But even with that finish time, I am very happy with my first Half Ironman on this demanding course to kick off my second season of triathlons!

Event comments:

Rest day Monday, then massage and yoga on Tuesday. WHAT'S NEXT???

LOTS OF LOVE TO MY COACH!!

Keith Jordan for President! OK how about just Race Director and Ice Cream stand owner? :)

While it was fun to recall the memories of my race, I mostly wanted to write this report to RECOMMEND MOOSEMAN FESTIVAL (either the quarter or half) FOR 2006 it is a well-run race with great volunteers, expo, post-race food, and location!

Last updated: 2004-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:41 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 307/395
Performance: Below average
Suit: Ironman Instinct Full
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:41:45 | 56.25 miles | 15.22 mile/hr
Overall: 360/395
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Double loop around Newfound Lake, and up Ragged Mountain Highway.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:15:20 | 13.1 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 270/395
Performance: Good
Course: Double out-and-back. If you wanted to, they had a Special Needs bag area for you after the first loop. It was self-service retrieval. It looked like less than 10 people used that service. For Special Needs Bags, athletes just put thier stuff in a clear plastic bag they provide, mark your bib # on it and it gets placed in a row. Aid stations with water, HEED, Carboom Gels, defizzed Pepsi about every 1.5 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-07 4:13 PM

Online or Offline
Subject: Mooseman Half Iron

2005-06-07 6:17 PM
in reply to: #170619

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: Mooseman Half Iron
well writen and enjoyable race report. I may just have to find a way to step up to the 1/4 next year. Maybe I will push my 1/2 goal up by a year, we will see.
2005-06-07 6:25 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Great report May. The woman who crashed on the hill in Alexandria posted on the timberman forum to say that she's all right, but her bike is toast. 

It was a great weekend, and to anyone who is reading this, I would definitely second the comments about this being an incredibly well organized and fun event, and if you are anywhere near the northeast, you should consider coming up next year!

2005-06-07 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
May, the best part of this well written and well paced race was this line 'I am very happy with my first 1/2 ironman onn this difficult course to kick off my second season of triathlon'.  Very happy, that is the place to be.

Thank you for your despcriptive report. I learned alot from it. I had forgotten that I used my sabbleback for the bike and the run. It was a life saver for me in the same way. Especially on the run.

You are awesome!!!!  Looking forward to cranberry country!!
2005-06-07 9:31 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

I remember when I found out that the the race volunteers don't actually paint lane lines on the bottom of the ocean in preperation for the race.  WTF!  I did find out that there were swell, chop, currents, rip tide, kelp, seaweed, Sea lion (almost crapped myself), and 1000 people wanting to swim over me.  You should come swim with me.  I usually am a left puller so we can line up so we just bump into each other and go in a straight line.  Although, one race I do hope to left pull myself into a nice Hawaiin resort and have someone buy some mai tais for my trouble.

I think you did great! Amazing actually.  I can't believe you needed to go to the chiropractor as often as you did and still rode that damn bike 56 miles.  And to tame evil hill twice.

Come teach me how to run 13.1 after all that.  Game on Hoss!   

2005-06-08 12:26 AM

Champion
If I didn't say it on Sunday (which I think I did), you done good! It was fun watching for you coming the other way on the run. And you motivated me too, because I had to make sure I wasn't walking when you went by me each time. Good thing is, the Timberman (at least to me) is easier, so I figure you might be under 6:30 for that one!

2005-06-08 1:04 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

You done reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllll good!!!

Awesome accomplishment made even more difficult by all your injuries. You're a MESS!  

To TRAIN thru the back problems requires a lotta heart and dedication. Very easy to just say "I can't workout today".

I'm very proud of you CM - u da bomb!

YIKES, its past my bed time! (Why'd you teach me that word?) It was early when I started readin your report  :x

Oh yeah - I think your swim probs stem from not swimmin like the imunulu fish.

Edited by glf33 2005-06-08 1:12 AM
2005-06-08 10:36 AM

Veteran
Alabama
What a GREAT performance!! All your hardwork and dedication paid off, BIG TIME!!
I can't even imagine the sense of accomplishment that you must have experienced!

Again, congrats on a job well-done!

K
2005-06-08 11:56 AM
in reply to: #171026

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA

Great Race. Wonderful job of pacing and staying within your abilities to accomplish the primary goal of finishing your first 1/2 IM. CONGRATULATIONS MOOSEMAN!!!!

Alsoe , very nicely written race report.

2005-06-08 12:21 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
don'cha just love when everything works out the way it is supposed to?  Looks like all that crazy A+ training really paid off for you    Great race and a great RR as well.  Wish me & K had been there instead of cowtown!

So are you ready to pull the trigger for IMLP 06?
2005-06-08 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Great race and race report May!! 

That was a beautiful show of training, planning and racing - sticking to your goals through out it all.  Definitely a first 1/2 IM to be proud of! 

2005-06-08 2:03 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Terrific job in the race!  Congrats!  And I really enjoyed your race report.  I'm a fan of the longer, more detailed reports. 
2005-06-08 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Great job May! Thanks for the awesome race report. The drama content was just perfect

-Frank
2005-06-08 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
MA
May....terrific race and thanks for sharing it with us in your RR.

It is terrific when it all comes together after lots of hard training and things go well. I look forward to meeting you at one of these NE races this year.

Just think they had a special spot waiting for me 460..went empty....

That turn where the women went off the road caught me by surprise and I was probably 4 feet from the far side of the road...it was scary...hey I didn't use my brakes...I needed all the easy downhill power I could get. I did wonder what the firemen thought as I whizzed by on the wrong side of the road.

Great Job and glad you enjoyed it!!

2005-06-08 4:05 PM

User image

Regular
Twickenham, London
Congratulations! Amazing race....
I envy you for having so much people racing.... In my first long-distance we were only about 50
When will you jump to a complete Iron?

Cheers!
2005-06-10 9:52 PM
in reply to: #171356

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA

Ya know we would like pictures :P

2005-06-10 11:45 PM

New user

L.A. AREA
Congratulations on your acheivement!! I learned a lot from your report, so the detail was very helpful to me! Sorry they didn't paint the line on the bottom ... too funny! Your attitude and determination are inspirational. Hope the body heals and you set a new and higher goal .. Full???
2005-06-11 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HALF IRONWOMAN!

I enjoyed your RR and am glad that everything went well for you

2005-06-11 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Congrats on a great race and thank you for the thorough race report. Its so fun reading the details and you put them in there.

2005-06-12 7:31 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Congratulations on your first 1/2...way to perserve thru injuries too.  Take care -SMO
2005-06-12 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

Good job!!!  That hill by the marina sucks!  I remember that stupid hill from 2003 Granite Ledges.  Last summer when I was up there for a few weeks there was a day I did not feel like dealing with the hill, so in Hebron I turned around and went back around the lake the other way.  I can't imagine having to climb that sucker twice durig a 1/2 iron.

2005-06-12 10:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Well done! very inspiring RR Legendary stuff - I dream of finsihing a Half IM - your RR fired me up and made me believe it is possible! Thanks! Rest easy now May. M
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Half Iron Rss Feed