General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need advice - cycle or strength training before HIM training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-06 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Need advice - cycle or strength training before HIM training
Hi.  I've been trying to plan my year and am looking for some advice.

I'm currently training for a Half Marathon in early March.so most of my training is focused on running.  The weather isn't the best for cycling right now but I may get in a ride on the weekend.

I'm planning to do my first HIM in October so my 20-week HIM training program would start in June.

What would you seasoned triathletes recommend I do during the 12 weeks between the completion of the Half Marathon and the start of HIM training?

My options are:

a) Find an aggressive 12-week cycling training program and try to significantly improve my cycling base (i.e. speed).  Less focus on running, but enough to maintain.

b) Focus on strength (P90X or crossfit).  Cycle and run to maintain fitness, but nothing hard core.  Plan on rebuilding running and bike mileage during the HIM training. 

c) any other suggestion

I'm making the assumption that a HIM training program won't significantly improve your run or bike speed.  While there will be some improvement, any significant gains in running or cycling speed need to be realized when building your base before you start the program.  If I'm way off, please tell me.

So, any suggestions?

Ray

2010-01-06 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2599109

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO
Subject: RE: Need advice - cycle or strength training before HIM training

If I wanted to get faster I'd use the time  to train for and race in a couple of sprint tri's

2010-01-06 9:17 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
If your primary objective is to improve your tri performance, then go for the plan to training your cycling in between the plans.

Although I would argue that building speed, which comes from power, should occur most of the time. if you are following a plan that isn't making you faster what are you following for? Just to finish? You're proably underestimating the value of a good training plan, especially 20 weeks long.

All of my athletes are nearly always building cycling power through a variety of workouts targeting different energy systems all year round....this is true "base" building, when you use all your tools availabe to target aerobic energy production.
2010-01-06 9:21 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Ride you bike.  Ride your bike a lot.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need advice - cycle or strength training before HIM training Rss Feed