General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter swimming locations around Shorewood Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-11 9:54 AM

Shorewood, MN
Subject: Winter swimming locations around Shorewood

Are there any public pools anywhere around the Shorewood/Minnetonka area that somebody can suggest?  I don't want to wait until the lakes thaw and warm up to start my swimming training, since my first sprint tri is mid July.

Thanks for the help,

Tom

2010-01-11 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2607339

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Winter swimming locations around Shorewood
Hi.  You could check with Minnetonka High or Middle Schools to see if they have any open swim times and the Williston Center in Minnetonka is affordable.    We belong to The Marsh, so I swim there.  Lifetime in Minnetonka is obviously an option too, but that is one of their priceist clubs.   I think there is a Masters swim program in Hopkins and one in Minnetonka too.  Good luck in your search!
2010-01-11 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2607426

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I'm pretty sure you can pay as you go at the Williston Center.   If you're not willing to commit to a membership somewhere, that's what i would recommend.

I would bet, with some hard bargaining, you could get an LA Fitness membership for no sign-up fee and $24.99/month.  Their pool is okay and the facility is better than you'd expect.  There's one on Hwy 7/Hopkins Crossroads in Hopkins.

2010-01-12 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2608391

Shorewood, MN
Biker  Grrrl,

It's funny you say that because someone told me yesterday almost the same thing.  I would hate to leave my gym but they don't have a pool but, at that price, I think I could get over it.

Tom
2010-01-12 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2609164

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

You sure cannot beat the price.  The workout floor is pretty nice and I really liked the treadmills.  They had built-in fans!  I didn't like the locker rooms myself (very small, little amenities) so I went back to Lifetime.    Love the Minnetonka Lifetime, by the way, if you have the money to spare.

(Or yes, The Marsh.  EJ and I have gone back and forth on this and can't convince the other to switch   Sounds like they are both really nice.)

mahoneynyc - 2010-01-12 7:44 AM Biker  Grrrl,

It's funny you say that because someone told me yesterday almost the same thing.  I would hate to leave my gym but they don't have a pool but, at that price, I think I could get over it.

Tom

2010-01-12 3:46 PM

The Minnetonka Swim Club, which practices out of the new Aquatics Center at Minnetonka Middle School East, has a Masters team. They have open swim too for $3 a session, but it's only on Sunday afternoons.

Good luck!

2010-01-13 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2610279

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
There's also a swim group that meets in the mornings at Wayzata Central Middle School. I've swum there a couple times. I think they charge some nominal amount to swim with them. Generally starts at 6, and I think they train at least MWF and one day on the weekend.
2010-01-14 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2609416

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Completely agree on the Minnetonka Lifetime.  That is nearly the only place I swim indoors and 90% of the time, I have the pool to myself.   (other than now it seems, BikerGrrrl who I am sure I have never said a word to!?!?)  The ammeneties are beyond my expectations. 

Also, if you are looking for some other swim times... the Pool SCS uses for their swims is wonderful, but a bit of a drive from the Shorewood area and I think $5 per session.  The Orono pool is open for swimming quite a bit as well. 

BikerGrrrl - 2010-01-12 9:42 AM

You sure cannot beat the price.  The workout floor is pretty nice and I really liked the treadmills.  They had built-in fans!  I didn't like the locker rooms myself (very small, little amenities) so I went back to Lifetime.    Love the Minnetonka Lifetime, by the way, if you have the money to spare.

(Or yes, The Marsh.  EJ and I have gone back and forth on this and can't convince the other to switch   Sounds like they are both really nice.)

mahoneynyc - 2010-01-12 7:44 AM Biker  Grrrl,

Tom

2010-01-14 5:34 PM

Shorewood, MN
I know that Lifetime is nice, member there for 3 years, but it's expensive and I was paying for things I didn't care about.  Also, at the time, I wasn't using the club, just throwing my money away.  I did go and join LA fitness yesterday and went for my first swim training today.  Got it for 29.99 a month and for that, it's a good deal.
Thanks for the help, love this site and the great people on it.
Tom
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter swimming locations around Shorewood Rss Feed