General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SCIATIC NERVE PROBLEM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-14 8:29 PM

User image

Brecksville
Subject: SCIATIC NERVE PROBLEM?

I'm new to the sport... have been training six days a week since August -- never felt better. I have an unfamiliar pain in left upper thigh (deep inside leg) that radiates all the way to my foot. Riding on the trainer for 60 minutes twice a week seem to be the cause.
Can anyone offer some ideas as to the cause and a solution? Maybe a new seat, but what kind? Not even sure it my sciatic... any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated (just not bed rest). Thanks!

2010-01-14 11:23 PM
in reply to: #2614972

User image

On the ward.
Subject: RE: SCIATIC NERVE PROBLEM?
The fact that it radiates all the way down your foot does indicate that the sciatic nerve may be involved; how it is involved is hard to say, maybe a prolapsed disc or a million other things. Since you are new to the sport and it happens on the trainer I would suggests making sure you have good form and work on back/core strength and flexibility. I know one of my biggest problems is ignoring flexibility and form until pain reminds me...which it always does.

Maybe google "dermatomes" and see if your pain follows one of the paths denoted by a spinal nerve - it can be hard to trace the exact path of the pain, but knowing that can help figure out if the problem is at the disc or lower down after the nerves have mixed in the sacral plexus.

Well I hope your pain goes away soon and if not, then I hope you find a great doc to help you continue enjoying this great sport.

2010-01-15 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2614972

User image

Brecksville
Subject: RE: SCIATIC NERVE PROBLEM?

Thanks for your advice diamed – I’ll do some investigating this weekend.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SCIATIC NERVE PROBLEM? Rss Feed