General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WILDMAN Tri Fest Weekend, ORLANDO Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-19 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
Subject: WILDMAN Tri Fest Weekend, ORLANDO
Look into the Wildman Tri Fest weekend in Orlando in March. (Butar.com)
They do a whole weekend of events @ Moss Park in east Orlando,
(very nice park, great for camping).
They offer a "My First Tri", Sprint Tri, Sprint Du and I believe a Kids Tri on Sat.
Then all the Oly events are on Sunday (Oly Tri, Du, etc)
I like to do this one as a weekend get-a-way to see old friends in Orlando and ease into the season.
Wifey and I are doing the Oly Tri on Sunday but have some friends doing events on Sat so we'll be hanging around cheering.
Just going to treat this one as a "training" and product development weekend. (breaking in the new ride) ~

FM
-----
Team Sports Beans/N.T.T.C.
http://www.myspace.com/fredtriguy65

2010-02-02 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2621196

User image

New user
Subject: RE: WILDMAN Tri Fest Weekend, ORLANDO
Just signed up for this race for the first time.  Looking for some general info on the race.  How is the water in Lake Mary Jane, clear, muddy, how is it getting in and out?  Also, I heard that transition is a little weird?  Long run from the lake to the bike racks and some pretty rough ground?  Any truth to all this?  Anything I should consider differently than any other race.  Thanks a ton guys/gals! 
2010-02-03 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stuart
The water is very dark. It is clean but very dark. It is a 2 loop swim. The run to transition is up a beach and across a parking lot. its not to bad. The bike ride is 2 loops through neighborhoods. It is very flat. The run is also 2 loops around the camp ground. On hard packed ground not pavement. I did the Moss Park oly last July. i think the distances were a little short. It was well run. Plenty of pizza afterwards. I hope to do wildman and moss park this year. Just gotta get clearence from the finance dept.
2010-02-18 9:56 AM

User image

New user

Scott is right, water is dark and murky, and I am told it is because of the tree sap in the water. Whatever you wear into the water will be stained. If you freak out in dark water, then do the du. The views are spectacular, though. Start is right as the sun breaks over the horizon, and it is beautiful. The transition from swim to bike is not much more than any other race I have run, but it is going to be in sand, then grass and tree needles, and then pavement, then more grass. You will have to run through dirt and grass with your bike, so you are going to end up with sticks and dirt in your shoes no matter what.Bike is flat, and through neighborhoods, just like scott said, and the run is through the park, which is kinda cool, but also a bit odd because you could be running past boy scout troops and around cars trying to leave. Initially there was a problem with some confusion on the trails about which way to go, but that was resolved in the last race I did at that park. All-around, this was a great local race location, relatively inexpensive, and a fun time. Kudos, Buttar.
2010-03-06 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
Looks like a cold one coming up...praying for warmer weather.

FM
2010-03-09 3:25 PM

User image

New user
Water temp 55 degrees as of yesterday!  Hopefully it will warm up at least a few degrees before the weekend.  Anybody know where the closest hotel to the race is?  The host hotel is something like 22 miles away??  There has to be something closer, right?  Thanks

2010-03-09 6:38 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
Orlando Airport Hotels is the closest.
were heading down fri. Staying with friends in downtown o-town @ The Waverly.

FM
2010-03-10 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stuart
Do not stay at the host hotel. Like Cube said stay by the airport. You are only like 10-15 min away.
2010-03-13 6:15 PM

User image

New user
Brrrrrr, that swim was cold, but not nearly as bad as I anticipated.  Highly recommend this race, although the water all over the run trail was a pain in the booty.  They need to add a few more people to direct traffic at the beginning of the run, I saw a few people running around not knowing where to go.
2010-03-20 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
That was the COLDEST swim I have ever donw...not fun.
I had MAJOR sinus problems sunday night.
Otherwise another great race. wish the run course was dry, but oh well.
happy with my start to the 2010 season!!

FM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WILDMAN Tri Fest Weekend, ORLANDO Rss Feed