General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low weights/High Reps VS High weights/Low Reps Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-27 4:14 PM

Subject: Low weights/High Reps VS High weights/Low Reps
I have been strength training for somewhere around 8 months. I usually do somewhere around 2 or 3 sets of 15 reps per exercise. After talking to a personal trainer the other day, I think I want to change up my routine. My question is though, Which would be better for building STRENGTH not bulk. I don't want to put on much muscle. I just want to get stronger. Should I do less weight but more reps or more weight and less reps. I know more weight less reps causes the muscle to tear more, but does that mean I will increase my overall strength?

2010-01-27 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2638371

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Low weights/High Reps VS High weights/Low Reps
Lifting heavy weight will increase maximal strength. It involves more than just muscle tearing.
2010-01-28 6:27 AM

User image

New user
Austin
You can try-6 weeks of 3 sets 7,8, or 9 reps then-6 weeks 3 sets 5,4,3 reps in the off season- then 3 sets 13-15 reps while in your tri training. That really worked for me. I put on about 5 lbs of muscle in the first phase then got stronger in the second phase. The high reps i do to maintain strength.
2010-01-28 9:31 AM

New user
Charlotte, NC USA
For your stated goal of gaining STRENGTH, the 1-5 rep range is ideal.
2010-01-28 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
Whatever rep amount allows you to increase weight steadily.. which is usually reps of 5.

Bulk (once you reach a certain level of musculature) only comes from eating more calories than you burn and lots of progress in the weight room (increasing lifts over time)

2010-01-28 11:44 AM

New user
Charlotte, NC USA
BTW, I don't mean to suggest that you do your 1RM (one-rep max) every time out. In fact, I hardly ever do them personally, but they do have a place in STRENGTH training, in particular for your stated goal. I agree that you should focus on a 5-rep routine with either 3 sets or 5 sets depending on the time you plan to devote to training.

Since you'll be doing higher weight and lower reps, make sure you warm up properly. I do light stretching and a little bit of jump rope/jumping jacks/jogging, then I do just the 45 lb bar for about 10 reps followed by about 4 more warm up sets before my work sets.

2010-01-29 1:28 PM

User image

Regular

Hey Runner Dude,

You have to separate strength and bulk all together because the relationships is so dynamic and it involves variables like nutrition, amount of weight (lbs), genetics, type of muscle group, exercise conducted, form, etc.

First, a simplistic answer to your question:  lifting a 25-lbs DB (3x15) will only train your body to muscularly endure a 3x15 25-lbs marathon. 

Final answer:  You have to define what "strength" is to you:  body-centric (controlling your body weight in space)  or power lifting (bench, squat, power clean)?  Then, it's not even a question of sets, reps, and weights--it's exercise specific.  You control the tangables from there.

V/r
~LT Chanko

2010-02-01 3:24 PM

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
26.2 runner dude - 2010-01-27 4:14 PM I have been strength training for somewhere around 8 months. I usually do somewhere around 2 or 3 sets of 15 reps per exercise. After talking to a personal trainer the other day, I think I want to change up my routine. My question is though, Which would be better for building STRENGTH not bulk. I don't want to put on much muscle. I just want to get stronger. Should I do less weight but more reps or more weight and less reps. I know more weight less reps causes the muscle to tear more, but does that mean I will increase my overall strength?

I agree with ramping up the weight and reducing the rep ranges to 6-12  with 3 "working sets" Your 12 should be a controlled warmup and then pyramid up from there.  If you are finishing your last set to failure and you get 6, time to add weight the next time out.  Honestly I have used this workout for everything from cutting to bulking to maintaining.

For strength or just a plateau buster, I'm a big believer in Bill Star's 5x5 workout.  Better pack a lunch though.  It gets real in about the third week.  I am probably going to run through an 8 week cycle in March.  Also, when it comes to bulk, that has as much to do with your diet as anything.  If you don't want to gain weight, don't take in the additional calories.  When people say that diet is 85% of it, they aren't just blowing smoke.  If your diet is right, you will only be gaining muscle weight anyway. 
2010-02-04 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2648218

User image

Regular
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-02-02 12:24 AM
When people say that diet is 85% of it, they aren't just blowing smoke.  If your diet is right, you will only be gaining muscle weight anyway. 

Amen.  It's always funny to see people come back when the "light bulb comes on" to tell you they finally get it about eating clean and smart.  It's like you were lying to them whole time or something...sorry the world is really round, Al Gore is a liar, and Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame.Tongue out
2010-02-14 8:06 AM

New user

26.2 runner dude - 2010-01-27 4:14 PM I have been strength training for somewhere around 8 months. I usually do somewhere around 2 or 3 sets of 15 reps per exercise. After talking to a personal trainer the other day, I think I want to change up my routine. My question is though, Which would be better for building STRENGTH not bulk. I don't want to put on much muscle. I just want to get stronger. Should I do less weight but more reps or more weight and less reps. I know more weight less reps causes the muscle to tear more, but does that mean I will increase my overall strength?

hi, I had a similiar problem to you but I beleive you won't get any stronger if you are lifting wieghts that are too easy for you. I would suggest doing 5x5 training where you do 5 sets of 5 reps but the wieght you are lifting has to be the maximum you can lift. You shouldn't put on a lot of muscle mass because to increase muscle mass people use hypertrophic training where you do 3 sets with 10 reps with short breaks. When you do 5x5 training you will need to rest for 2-3 minutes between each set hoplefully this will help increase your strength and make you stronger.
2010-02-17 6:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jakarta Selatan, Unknown

Training for strength without adding mass is more like going to a pool and try not to get wet.

Most people are afraid to get "bulky" or "big" when they start lifting weight. But the fact is, the harder you train the more muscle you damage. This is called micro-trauma. These little damages to your muscle caused by lifting heavy weight will be replaced by a new and stronger muscle.

Lower your reps to a range of 1-5 and do a lot of wam-up sets. Make sure you eat properly and rest. Give yourself 2-3 weeks before you make a change.

Focus on compound movement like bench, deads, and squat (oh yess!), and do it with the right form.

As Ronnie Coleman said "ain't nothin' to do it but to do it"

2010-03-01 8:40 AM

I think people are overly concerned with "adding bulk". It takes A LOT of effort to add any significant bulk. Besides, it's easy to limit muscle growth if that really becomes a problem. It's not like you're going to explode into a body builder overnight, that takes YEARS.
2010-03-01 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2699405

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
notorq - 2010-03-01 8:40 AM I think people are overly concerned with "adding bulk". It takes A LOT of effort to add any significant bulk. Besides, it's easy to limit muscle growth if that really becomes a problem. It's not like you're going to explode into a body builder overnight, that takes YEARS.

haha, totally agree.  People who haven't trained for it, have no idea how hard it is to add muscle mass.  90% of girls will always say something to the effect of "I don't do weights, bc I don't want to get big"  I want to tell them its that doughnut in your hand thats going to make you big.  Not the squat.  Its all in the diet.
2010-03-05 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2699413

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa

I want to tell them its that doughnut in your hand thats going to make you big.  Not the squat.  Its all in the diet.[/QUOTE]

ha ha  That's funny!  Recently I've been dabbling in bench press competitions and I knew it was REALLY hard to gain mass like that but in the back of my head was still worried that I would "get big" from doing shorter reps more sets.    I haven't gained a single pound and am now benching more than I weigh.  Strong like Bull!  ;-)

Edited by carrie1 2010-03-05 6:53 AM
2010-04-06 8:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good info in this thread.  So I assume that a byproduct of gaining strength is to gain size?  Like others in here, I want to be stronger but not add a TON of size and weight.  It looks like they go together unfortunately.

So if I don't want to add a bunch of size, I should just stick to lighter weight and 10+ reps?
2010-04-06 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2772648

New user
Charlotte, NC USA
krisko - 2010-04-06 9:31 PM Good info in this thread.  So I assume that a byproduct of gaining strength is to gain size?  Like others in here, I want to be stronger but not add a TON of size and weight.  It looks like they go together unfortunately.

So if I don't want to add a bunch of size, I should just stick to lighter weight and 10+ reps?

Size is not necessarily a byproduct of gaining strength. Size is a byproduct of increased calorie consumption, but you can gain strength w/o getting heavier.

And 10+ reps at a lighter weight is what is considered the hypertrophy (mass building) range. So you're better off doing higher weight/lower reps if you don't want to increase size. Unless of course you mean high reps at a weight that isn't challenging, which is kind of a waste of time.

2010-04-07 2:25 AM
in reply to: #2772747

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jakarta Selatan, Unknown
ScoopJackson - 2010-04-07 4:22 AM
krisko - 2010-04-06 9:31 PM Good info in this thread.  So I assume that a byproduct of gaining strength is to gain size?  Like others in here, I want to be stronger but not add a TON of size and weight.  It looks like they go together unfortunately.

Size is not necessarily a byproduct of gaining strength. Size is a byproduct of increased calorie consumption, but you can gain strength w/o getting heavier.

And 10+ reps at a lighter weight is what is considered the hypertrophy (mass building) range. So you're better off doing higher weight/lower reps if you don't want to increase size. Unless of course you mean high reps at a weight that isn't challenging, which is kind of a waste of time.

You probably confused with the theory a bit. For a muscle building (bulking) training, it is adviced to increase the weight and lower the volume, hence for maintenance and weight loss is vice versa. Example of this is power and olympic lifters whom doing only 1-6 reps per set with very heavy loads.

Heavier lift creates more micro-trauma to the muscle fiber, which allow them to replace the damage muscle with a new and stronger muscle during recovery.
2010-04-07 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2773029

New user
Charlotte, NC USA
otongki - 2010-04-07 3:25 AM

You probably confused with the theory a bit. For a muscle building (bulking) training, it is adviced to increase the weight and lower the volume, hence for maintenance and weight loss is vice versa. Example of this is power and olympic lifters whom doing only 1-6 reps per set with very heavy loads.

Heavier lift creates more micro-trauma to the muscle fiber, which allow them to replace the damage muscle with a new and stronger muscle during recovery.

That's incorrect. There is a great chart out there that compares rep ranges to their effects (power, strength, hypertrophy, etc.) but I don't recall the name of it. There is a simpler version at the following wikipedia link. Suffice it to say that approx. 8-20 is the hypertrophy rep range, whereas 1-5 is the strength rep range. This is why body builders use higher reps than strength athletes. The size of strength athletes is largely due to the ridiculous amounts of calories they consume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_training
2010-04-07 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2773472

ScoopJackson - 2010-04-07 10:05 AM
That's incorrect. There is a great chart out there that compares rep ranges to their effects (power, strength, hypertrophy, etc.) but I don't recall the name of it. There is a simpler version at the following wikipedia link. Suffice it to say that approx. 8-20 is the hypertrophy rep range, whereas 1-5 is the strength rep range. This is why body builders use higher reps than strength athletes. The size of strength athletes is largely due to the ridiculous amounts of calories they consume.

I think you are talking about the NCSA charts?  I have them in my textbook here at home, but there are quite a few reproductions of that online.  Check page 2 of this .pdf document.
http://www.nsca-lift.org/HotTopic/download/Specificity%20for%20Sport.pdf
and another link to program design, showing 8-20 as the hypertrophy range:
http://myweb.wwu.edu/~chalmers/PDFs/A%20sample%20program%20for%20periodizing%20the%20general%20athlete.pdf

At any rate, they both pretty much agree with what you wrote

Edited by DMW 2010-04-07 11:56 AM
2010-04-07 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2773472

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
otongki - 2010-04-07 3:25 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_training

There's actually two kinds of muscular hypertrophy, myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic.  Myofibrillar is when the muscle fibers actually grow and is associated with strength training in the 5-8 rep range.  Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is due to an increase in liquid/glycogen storage capacity and is best reached in the 8-12 rep range.  This is covered in Starting Strength and is why 5 reps were chosen  for the program

None of this will happen without enough calories, although working in the lower rep range will improve neuromuscular development to increase strength without gaining size. 
2010-04-07 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2774133

New user
Charlotte, NC USA
DMW - 2010-04-07 12:53 PM

I think you are talking about the NCSA charts?  I have them in my textbook here at home, but there are quite a few reproductions of that online.  Check page 2 of this .pdf document.
http://www.nsca-lift.org/HotTopic/download/Specificity%20for%20Sport.pdf
and another link to program design, showing 8-20 as the hypertrophy range:
http://myweb.wwu.edu/~chalmers/PDFs/A%20sample%20program%20for%20periodizing%20the%20general%20athlete.pdf

At any rate, they both pretty much agree with what you wrote

Same idea, but the one I am thinking of is more detailed. If I find it I'll post it. Thanks for those links - the second one in particular looks like a good one.

2010-04-07 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2774471

New user
Charlotte, NC USA
Bioteknik - 2010-04-07 2:25 PM There's actually two kinds of muscular hypertrophy, myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic.  Myofibrillar is when the muscle fibers actually grow and is associated with strength training in the 5-8 rep range.  Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is due to an increase in liquid/glycogen storage capacity and is best reached in the 8-12 rep range.  This is covered in Starting Strength and is why 5 reps were chosen  for the program

None of this will happen without enough calories, although working in the lower rep range will improve neuromuscular development to increase strength without gaining size. 

Hypertrophy in the body building sense is sarcoplasmic (8-12 rep range). The question was if it were possible to gain strength w/o additional size. Hence my suggestion to stay in the lower rep ranges.

And myofibrillar hypertrophy, which corresponds to strength, is actually best achieved in the 1-3 or 1-5 rep range, not 5-8.
2010-04-13 7:40 PM

If you want to get stronger, you want to do 5 sets, 5 reps each.   Start with low weights and work up.  Also, not sure if the exercises were discussed, but you want to focus on complex functional movements such as squats, deadlifts and shoulder press.  Curls, tri's etc are a waste of time, as are any "isolation" movement.  Read this http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/store.php?crn=199&rn=312&ac... (Work family safe link)
2010-04-14 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2789731

New user
Charlotte, NC USA
gobirdgo - 2010-04-13 8:40 PM If you want to get stronger, you want to do 5 sets, 5 reps each.   Start with low weights and work up.  Also, not sure if the exercises were discussed, but you want to focus on complex functional movements such as squats, deadlifts and shoulder press.  Curls, tri's etc are a waste of time, as are any "isolation" movement.  Read this http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/store.php?crn=199&rn=312&ac... (Work family safe link)

There are a lot of good programs out there aside from a 5x5 type routine. Starting Strength recommends 3x5 (3 sets of 5 reps each), then Wendler has a 5/3/1 routine that a lot of folks rave about. The key is sufficient volume and intensity.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low weights/High Reps VS High weights/Low Reps Rss Feed