General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Capital City Half Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-02-01 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: The Capital City Half Marathon : Official Thread

Whose in for Cap City this year?

I signed up. If you are doing it and haven't registered yet, the Dispatch has a $5 off coupon code you can search for.

2010-02-01 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2646916

User image

Delaware, OH
Subject: RE: The Capital City Half Marathon : Official Thread
I signed up. Worried but I'm running more now than last year.
2010-02-01 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2647439

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Cool, Kate!
I have a super secret parking tip for you, if you're interested closer to the race.

Do you have your run training mapped out to get you up to at least 10 miles before race day?
The first time I did it, that's all I had under my belt and I was fine.

I actually seem to really enjoy this distance. It's about the max amount of time I can hold total concentration. I can finish longer distances, but I have mental breakdowns and things like that, and a lot more difficulty. 2 hours seems like just about the amount of time I can stay focused on my form and pace and make it to the finish line feeling good.
2010-02-01 12:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
I'm a maybe.  Haven't registered yet, I'm waiting to see how my training is coming by the end of March.  Vacations keep getting in the way. 
2010-02-02 5:40 AM

Wife is running, I'll be there w/ the kids cheering you all on.

Alice do you guys take the rv to this event? My father talked about taking his to give the kids a place to chill-out at but I'm not sold on the idea.
2010-02-02 5:43 AM

Just looked and saw that you live in the Columbus so I most likely know the answer to the rv question. (no) but what would your thoughts be about taking an rv to this event. I know that there are 1000's of people but I have never been to the event. Thanks

2010-02-02 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2649153

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
chadconley - 2010-02-02 6:43 AM Just looked and saw that you live in the Columbus so I most likely know the answer to the rv question. (no) but what would your thoughts be about taking an rv to this event. I know that there are 1000's of people but I have never been to the event. Thanks

You are correct - since it is in-town, we just have our parents watch the kids and we drive in the car.

I always LOVE having the RV anywhere, because you have your own bathroom. It can be cold for Cap City, too, and it would be great to be able to mix up some hot chocolate or get an extra hat or just warm up inside.

I'm trying to think where would be a good place to park it, though. If they wanted to be close - close enough to jump out and cheer.

it's definitely a downtown venue, and a lot of streets are closed for the race or have the meters "bagged" for no parking at meters that day.

Once the race is underway, I would not want to be trying to drive an RV around from spot to spot, so he would have to get there before dawn and try to find an ideal spot. Hmmm. In my mind's eye, when I'm doing the last half mile to the finish, there are no cars on either side of the street. Not on Niel, not on Nationwide, etc. There's a lot on the corner of Neil and Nationwide, but it is taken up with race tents, refreshments, climbing wall, etc. I think there were some cars parked in there, but maybe it is race staff and media.

I can't think of a good spot. We park our car at Burkholder-Flint office, 300 Spruce. But it's a 3 block walk to the start/finish from there, and the race doesn't pass by the lot.
2010-02-02 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2649718

Thanks for the in site. We are actually only 30 min. south of the race and used to live in Col. and played around downtown alot so I will just have to brainstorm the different lots. I will give my dad a map of the race and let him help decided also. If I have my way my parents will take over the kids during the race and I will have my bike up there and be able to travel to different spot to cheer on.
2010-02-02 2:44 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Now I'm starting to get worried- it's either run or bike.  If I run the amount I need to for the race I don't think I'll have enough time in the saddle for the Miami Tri.  Oh boy.

At my current pace it will take me 3ish hours to finish :/  Yay better buff up my ipod running playlist.

I think my David will drop me off and go park the car so I'm not too worried about parking....

BUT depending on the start time I might park up north and use the 315 bike trial and bike down to the race.  It's all downhill and a mile might be a nice way to loosen up.
2010-02-03 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2650472

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
chadconley - 2010-02-02 3:01 PM Thanks for the in site. We are actually only 30 min. south of the race and used to live in Col. and played around downtown alot so I will just have to brainstorm the different lots. I will give my dad a map of the race and let him help decided also. If I have my way my parents will take over the kids during the race and I will have my bike up there and be able to travel to different spot to cheer on.

Yeah, take a look at the course map. A lot of things have changed around the area of the race. For example, the whole Arena District was built, and then Huntington Park was built. So keep that in mind. You probably want to be on the inside of the course, so if he comes after it starts, it would be hard to get that position, since you can't get through.
2010-02-03 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2650607

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
k_watzek - 2010-02-02 3:44 PM Now I'm starting to get worried- it's either run or bike.  If I run the amount I need to for the race I don't think I'll have enough time in the saddle for the Miami Tri.  Oh boy.

At my current pace it will take me 3ish hours to finish :/  Yay better buff up my ipod running playlist.

I think my David will drop me off and go park the car so I'm not too worried about parking....

BUT depending on the start time I might park up north and use the 315 bike trial and bike down to the race.  It's all downhill and a mile might be a nice way to loosen up.

That's hard-core, biking to a running race!

2010-03-29 8:04 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
So I had my longest run ever in 10 or so years - 7 miles.  I'm hoping I can add a mile every week and pray that I can get through the 13th mile on pure endorphin/GU power when it comes to race day.

How is everyone else doing?  What are most people wearing for the race?
2010-03-29 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2647690

User image

Expert
Columbus
scubagrrl - 2010-02-01 1:17 PM I'm a maybe.  Haven't registered yet, I'm waiting to see how my training is coming by the end of March.  Vacations keep getting in the way. 

if you sign up now - you are more likely to train
in the event you do sign up and aren't on your A game race day - it can still be a good training day

if you wait you are likely to not sign up and continue to not train and the next race is the same question mark

you know what they say at Nike - just do it

2010-03-29 10:58 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Husaband and I are in.  Not concerned about parking, though--that's his job.  Need to start thinking about the kids, though...  hmmm.  Should probably find a sitter...
2010-03-30 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2650607

User image

Regular
Columbus
Just signed up yesterday - I kept putting it off but wanted to sign up before the price increase.  It will be interesting.  It will probably take me about 3 hours, too, so maybe I'll see you around!  I'm a swimmer who is never going to get any better at tris unless I seriously improve my run, so this is my way of forcing myself to focus on running.  Longest run so far is 6 miles - 7 is coming up this sunday.

I did the 5k for the past 2 years.  It's a nice course.

Jamie
2010-04-12 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
How's everybody doing? I have a 1:45 minute run this weekend - my longest this year, and the big one before the race.
I am not confident about beating last year's time. I have a much better base this year, but I've hardly been doing any hills or intervals on the treadmill like I did last winter.

And my runs have been slow of late because of this blasted cold. But I'm still looking forward to it!

2010-04-12 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Is anyone heading down there from the Westerville area that I could get a ride with?

The buses don't run that early. I can drive down, but then the family is coming down later to cheer, probably, and I could ride home with them. It would save some gas anyway.
2010-04-12 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2784759

User image

Regular
Columbus
My 8 mile run last weekend was horrible.  I seriously contemplated calling my husband and asking him to come pick me up.  I made it about 4 before I started feeling bad.  It doesn't help that the last mile and a half to my house is uphill (I live in Clintonville, near the Park of Roses, and once I hit the river and start heading up the park it's uphill until i get to my house near Indianola).  It's not a huge uphill but it's enough to be noticeable.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do 13.  I guess I can walk if I have to but am afraid if I walk I'm going to miss the time cut-off (even if I run I'm looking at around 3 hours and that's if I'm feeling good the whole time).  I'm getting really nervous about it.

Need to really concentrate on running in the next couple weeks.  Just got a new road bike (had a hybrid before) and have been out playing with it (the speed and handling is a little scary!), but I really need to make myself leave it alone until after the half.
2010-04-12 9:06 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
I just finished my 8mi at the Y tonight.  Sorry to say I was on the dreadmill but I got a late start and didn't want to run in the dark.  I'm not worried about finishing the 13 miles.  I will finish.  Somewhere around 3 hours.  I just might be in a lot of pain and take a few days off of work to recover tho.

Alice, I am coming from Delaware, my Dave and I could pick you up if you want, just let me know.
2010-04-24 7:31 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
It had better not rain next Saturday. 
2010-04-28 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Mine says:
Saturday

Partly sunny in the morning...then becoming mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 70s. Chance of rain 50 percent.

2010-05-02 10:38 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Post your race reports!!!
Mine is here:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=206180

Edited by ahohl 2010-05-02 10:39 PM
2010-05-03 8:54 AM

Great Job Alice & to the rest of you.

My Wife's gripes were the same as yours - Walkers at mile 2 and the water stations.

2010-05-03 11:51 AM

I worked the water station at mile 2 I believe at high and livingston. We had tons of cups ready at our station, especially for the gaggle of people that were coming. We tried our best to be supportive and cheering as well. There did seem to be alot of people walking as they came into the station, even ahead of the 10:28 people. I was to busy trying to keep cups in my hand along with my fellows workers to really be that worried about it. This race was much more organized compared to the spirit last year, in my opinion.
2010-05-03 12:24 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
I had to get through a ton of walkers mile one- there needed to be more space between the 13:00min mile and the walkers. I will be honest- I did walk the water stations BUT I also got out of the way of runners behind me. This was my longest run ever and I had a blast.Thank you to all who stood out in the rain to make this race happen.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Capital City Half Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2