General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Capital City Half Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-03 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2646916

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: The Capital City Half Marathon : Official Thread
I wasn't complaining about ALL the water stations - nor complaining about people walking the water stations.

I was complaining about still passing walkers at mile 2, which means they must have started at the very front. I don't mind passing walkers at mile 12, when people run out of steam. I don't mind people walking the aid stations - most people do. I mind people starting with the 6:00 pace group when they have clearly set out to walk.

Also, I only had a problem with one aid station - the water section didn't have cups of water filled and ready. They were filling one at a time as we came by, using the push button spouts. In crisis mode, always dip the cups into the cooler and go as fast as possible! I think mile 2 was a great aid station - that would have been the first aid station, I think. My recollection was it was in German Village that I had a problem with the water people being out of water. I just took Powerade instead.

2010-05-03 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Oh, I almost forgot - Thanks volunteers!! You were great! I thanked all the police, but I forgot to thank the volunteers. It was tricky getting a drink and keeping running, so I was pretty focused and forgot to say thanks.
2010-05-03 10:02 PM

User image

Regular
Columbus
Here's mine: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... - incredibly slow but very proud that I did it at all!
2010-05-04 5:46 AM
in reply to: #2834670

ahohl - 2010-05-03 8:37 PM

I wasn't complaining about ALL the water stations - nor complaining about people walking the water stations.

I was complaining about still passing walkers at mile 2, which means they must have started at the very front. I don't mind passing walkers at mile 12, when people run out of steam. I don't mind people walking the aid stations - most people do. I mind people starting with the 6:00 pace group when they have clearly set out to walk.

Also, I only had a problem with one aid station - the water section didn't have cups of water filled and ready. They were filling one at a time as we came by, using the push button spouts. In crisis mode, always dip the cups into the cooler and go as fast as possible! I think mile 2 was a great aid station - that would have been the first aid station, I think. My recollection was it was in German Village that I had a problem with the water people being out of water. I just took Powerade instead.

That's how I took you meaning your above comment. Then again that is how my wife meant it also so therfore I was able to understand what you ment.

I was proud to tell an officer that was helping out that the biggest part of the people going by and thanking him were triathletes. It was nice to hear people going by and saying thank you.
2010-05-06 12:43 AM

User image

Delaware, OH
I think most of you have read it but here is my rr: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... />
I didn't realize it was so short until I looked at it again lastnight....and added a bit.
2010-05-08 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2834670

User image

I agree with Alice. The first waterstop had a lot of dead stoppers which is rough when everyone is still bunched up. I even yelled out about 20 yards before the stop for everyone to keep moving forward. At the mile 6 station I really pushed someone hard (sorry whomever you are) because he stopped dead about 5 yards before the stop. It is proper etiquette to run through the stop and peel off if you need a walk break. I also was really needing some water at the mile 12 stop and only got about an ounce in the cup (argh). Overall evrything was well run.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Capital City Half Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2