General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New England Season Opener : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-05-10 6:02 AM
in reply to: #2847440

Subject: RE: New England Season Opener : Official Thread
We in the pink hats were wondering exactly where the buoys would be by the time we finally got in.  Or if we should just run away screaming. 

I just saw it on the news this morning as a matter of fact.  I think because Scott Brown raced.

2010-05-10 6:13 AM
in reply to: #2647475

User image

Champion
MA
Scott Brown swims at our Y and we used to see him frequently there in the mornings...and he'd share lanes with us. He is part of the tri team I used to belong to.

We spoke to him after the race...our daughter wanted a picture...

2010-05-10 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2847806

User image

Veteran
Outside Boston
Here's another story too.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/features/x1920414318/Fire-crews-rescue-swimmers-firefighters-from-Hopkinton-State-Park-pond
2010-05-10 8:22 AM

Veteran
I switched to the Du when I arrived, as this was a throw away race for me anyhow.  It was my first Duathlon and I found it interesting - definately tough to hold back on the first run will need to hold back more next time.

I switched to my 808s instead of my disc and I was still being blown around a bit, which got hairy on some of the faster downhills. 

The guy who crahsed on the bike (the one I saw) was an elite athlete (BU I think) and looked to be fine with some road rash and a broken bike.  He crashed on the downhill heading to dismount (not sure what the cause was).

I can't believe they did not pull the swim.  While hindsight is always 20/20 the combination of 43 degree airtemp, 40MPH gusts, 2 foot chop and 60 degree water seems like a logical combination to pull. 
2010-05-10 9:03 AM

User image

Regular
Westborough, MA
Kathy, That's so cool that you got to meet the senator. Jealous.

I was really bummed about the swim. Still, I need more practice before Mooseman Oly.

Is anyone putting together any OWS meetups soon? I'd volunteer except that I'm still pretty clueless about where to go.
2010-05-10 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2847817

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

So funny  -- I'd seen the flannel patriot pants, not realizing they were on Scott Brown, and thought:  Brilliant idea to bring post-race pajama's.  I am doing that next time!

Congrats on your Athena duathlon win, Kathy -- I took the Athena triathlon win without even a swim.  (My white cap wave got pulled back for the beach run)  

And for the record, I think calling off the swim would have been easier/earlier if the kayaks and swim marshal boats had gone in sooner.  If they can't stay upright, then there should be no swim.  Rescuers needing rescuing is NOT a situation anyone wants.  Still, Tim and Max Perf folks did all they could given how things went yesterday morning, and I'm glad I raced.

Cheers, -Sunny

2010-05-10 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
Despite all the condition issues and debate if Tim should've called off the swim entirely, I'm glad I got in the water - that's my fav part and would have quite disappointed doing just bike-run, and with knee issues would have hated Max Performance if they canceled the swim and offered the run-bike-run Du only.

I was also very pleased with the change to in-water start.  I think the shock of running in to such low temps is a big contributor to a lot of OW swim panic and saw that in the newbie wave last year, so glad they changed it up.  But then again, maybe I just liked the in-water start cause the water temp was warmer than the air Wink
2010-05-10 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2848122

New user
Rhode Island/Southeastern MA
SunnyS - 2010-05-10 10:07 AM

So funny  -- I'd seen the flannel patriot pants, not realizing they were on Scott Brown, and thought:  Brilliant idea to bring post-race pajama's.  I am doing that next time!

Congrats on your Athena duathlon win, Kathy -- I took the Athena triathlon win without even a swim.  (My white cap wave got pulled back for the beach run)  

And for the record, I think calling off the swim would have been easier/earlier if the kayaks and swim marshal boats had gone in sooner.  If they can't stay upright, then there should be no swim.  Rescuers needing rescuing is NOT a situation anyone wants.  Still, Tim and Max Perf folks did all they could given how things went yesterday morning, and I'm glad I raced.

Cheers, -Sunny

I was surprised the buoys weren't already out in the water when I got there in the morning. It wasn't like I was super early.

2010-05-10 10:07 AM

Veteran

In spite of the swim issues, I found the event fun and will definately do other Max Perfromance events.  I think its tough in NE this time of year.  Hopefully we get some warm weather for Mooseman.

2010-05-10 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2848122

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
SunnyS - 2010-05-10 10:07 AM..

I think the news and now even triathletes miss the point that the conditions got worse during the race. Things change.
2010-05-10 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2848164

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
running4beer - 2010-05-10 10:24 AM Despite all the condition issues and debate if Tim should've called off the swim entirely, I'm glad I got in the water - that's my fav part and would have quite disappointed doing just bike-run... 

I agree. I am glad we got to swim and I think it was completely fine to start the wave under the conditions I saw while treading water. By the time I got to the buoy the chop and wind seemed to have picked up significantly.

2010-05-10 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2848291

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
FlyTheBlueSky - 2010-05-10 11:12 AM

I think the news and now even triathletes miss the point that the conditions got worse during the race. Things change.

Agreed.  I didn't start to worry about conditions until after the first wave rounded the buoys, and even then didn't expect things to get worse.  It didn't look more than a little challenging until then and def was a step up by the time the 2nd wave (my wave) got out to the turnaround.

Last year, the wind wasn't as bad and yet they still lost the big triangular buoys because they set them up so far ahead.  The time trying to recover it was difficult for racers standing around getting cold, so it made sense that they didn't set them up until closer to race time this year.  And prior to the race on Sunday, the kayakers seemed to be paddling easy.
2010-05-10 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2848291

Veteran
New York
 They absolutely changed. They worsened. I am proud of my last place finish in the triathlon, considering all the folks who did not finish. I'm excited that I got to be in the water and that I got through the swim without any assistance and my swim wasnt the slowest on the books either. Ocean swimming DEFINITELY was a benefit for yesterdays race, and being a bigger guy with a little more insulation helped too. 

I will say the race video doesnt seem to indicate the hill at the start of the bike. i think they started the video when they were already on the hill so it looks flatter than it is.

Also, other than riding back and forth across the bridges, does anyone have some good ideas for regular hill training if you live smack in the flat of the middle of Boston?
2010-05-10 11:51 AM

Veteran

Hill training on the bike or running?

If the bike, ride out from Boston on Beacon Street to BC.  The Hill starts at the reservoir and you can end it at the lights at BC (on beacon).  Ride it first to get a feel for how long it takes you at 90% exertion then start with 4 intervals using the ride down the hill to recover.  Ride back to Boston (only 3-4 miles) as your cool down. 

BTW – Beacon Street has a bike path all the way to BC, so its not bad if you don’t like traffic.

Mountain biking is a great way to build up your hill endurance too and much more fun than hill drills.

I tend to do the same for running intervals but will find a steeper hill and use 2 minute intervals.

2010-05-10 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2848444

User image

Expert
Boston
techknowgn - 2010-05-10 12:04 PM  They absolutely changed. They worsened. I am proud of my last place finish in the triathlon, considering all the folks who did not finish. I'm excited that I got to be in the water and that I got through the swim without any assistance and my swim wasnt the slowest on the books either. Ocean swimming DEFINITELY was a benefit for yesterdays race, and being a bigger guy with a little more insulation helped too. 

I will say the race video doesnt seem to indicate the hill at the start of the bike. i think they started the video when they were already on the hill so it looks flatter than it is.

Also, other than riding back and forth across the bridges, does anyone have some good ideas for regular hill training if you live smack in the flat of the middle of Boston?

The Blue hills are not far from Boston jst a little south.  There is a road to the top.  I think its about 1 mile.
2010-05-10 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Despite the weather induced setback, I really like this race and will continue to do it. It's a great way to start the season!! Max Performance does a great job!

2010-05-10 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
techknowgn - 2010-05-10 12:04 PM  They absolutely changed. They worsened. I am proud of my last place finish in the triathlon, considering all the folks who did not finish. I'm excited that I got to be in the water and that I got through the swim without any assistance and my swim wasnt the slowest on the books either. Ocean swimming DEFINITELY was a benefit for yesterdays race, and being a bigger guy with a little more insulation helped too. 

Sounds like you probably braved the swim at its worst if you were toward the end of the last wave to do the first leg.  Congrats on the finish, Ben!
2010-05-10 8:17 PM

I was in the green cap wave. It got bad at the turn buoy from what I could see out there.  I was happy just to get through it. But I was spent for the bike and run. I guess if you can get through that, it makes other triathlon swims seem easier. I'm slow anyway in the water. I almost got trampled the people who got their swim cancelled sprinting from the shore to their bikes!

I can only imagine what the scene was like from the shore. 
2010-05-11 5:57 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

Summit Avenue in Brookline - used by cyclists and runners for hill repeats all the time.
Larz Anderson Park (no cars) also used by both for hill repeats.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New England Season Opener : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9