General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Going over the handlebars was just the icing on the cake (long story) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-02 1:22 PM

User image

Subject: Going over the handlebars was just the icing on the cake (long story)
I am not sure where else to vent, but this looks like a good page since it says injuries. Last November, I got a stress fracture from running a 10k up Mt. Vesuvius. Diagnosis: 6 weeks no running. In December, I had surgery to determine whether or not I had breast cancer. Thankfully, everything came back fine. Diagnosis: No swimming, running, cycling, strength training for 4 weeks. January 7th, I was finally able to get back to exercising. I'd gained 4 lbs, and I really have to keep the weight off for my job (military). So, I get back to work, and the second day back, we have a "courtesy" weigh-in, and I was still 4 lbs. over, so I got put on a mandatory exercise program with the Navy. ARGH! I was frustrated, so I told my supervisor that my exercise and eating habits work just fine, to which he said, "obviously not." Doesn't anyone understand injury, not to mention it was that time of the month, which causes me to weigh extra??? Anyway, I started the mandatory fitness program, and it really wasn't all that bad. To my surprise, we were focusing more on developing upper body strength and core, which is like swallowing terrible medicine to me... unless I'm forced, it's very difficult for me to be consistent. So, I got my happy training mentality back thinking that I would do all the core and strength training at work and get my cardio in after work. I ran 14 miles, swam about a mile, and decided to hop on my bicycle two Sundays ago since it was a really pretty day out... I'd much rather ride outside than go to spin or train indoors. Well, I am not very confident on my bicycle. I just learned to clip in, and as I was exiting my house, my husband yells to me to go over the drain grate diagonally so I won't crash. I turned my handlebars to the right and realized I was about to crash into the wall. In my brain, I was thinking, "I need to go diagonally left instead so I don't hit the wall." Stupid me forgot that when you change directions, the wheel goes straight first before it goes left. Well, my front tire slid right into the grate. The tire popped, the chain came off, and before I could unclip both feet (just the left one came out), I toppled over the handlebars and hit my shoulder and head. My husband took me to the ER to see if anything was broken, but thankfully, not even a fracture was to be found. I was given muscle relaxers and Motrin to help me through the week and was told that as long as I felt good, I could continue to exercise. So, this past Sunday, I had a spasm of pain that was the worst pain I'd ever felt in my entire life. Worst pain EVER. I blacked out at home, and my husband rushed me to the ER yet again. As I was explaining my situation to the front desk, I started to pass out again, so they put me in a wheelchair, rushed me to the back and took more x-rays. Nada. They put an IV in me and gave me Morphine for the pain. I felt a lot better. They discharged me and they gave me some more muscle relaxers and a prescription refill on my 800 mg Motrin. Well, I started to feel dizzy and the room started to go dark, I began to sway, and sweat was pouring off my head. My husband helped me walk back to the ER, and they started freaking out because the nurse said they might have overdosed me on the morphine. So, I ended up staying in the ER for another 3 hours while they monitored my heart and gave me more fluid. I went home and was told that I can't do sit-ups or push-ups for 10 days. Then, I show up to work on Monday morning, and was told that I have another weigh in scheduled for Thursday to check my progress. Well, Sunday morning I was within a pound of being fine, and yesterday I weighed myself and had gained 8 lbs. (probably from all the fluid the IVs pumped into me). Now I am stressed out, fully medicated and groggy, can't work out because I'm in pain, and to top it all off, my toe felt a little funny today, so I looked down and discovered that it's entirely black and blue on both sides and my foot has a purple line across the bottom of all my toes. When I fell at home from passing out, I must have jammed or broken my toe. This month was supposed to be an exciting month of training on my calendar and it's looking quite bleak. Not only am I disappointed in not being able to train the right way, I'm being pressured at work to lose those couple of lbs asap "or else", and it's stressing me out. Thanks for letting me vent!

2010-02-02 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2650369

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-02-02 3:25 PM

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Going over the handlebars was just the icing on the cake (long story)
I really hope you start feeling better soon. Can you get some discharge instructions from the ER and show them at your weigh-in so they understand your situation, or will they just blow that kind of thing off? So sorry you're going through a rough patch now.
2010-02-03 4:20 PM

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Subject: RE: Going over the handlebars was just the icing on the cake (long story)
Wow

When things go wrong they really go wrong.

I am not sure of  your rank in the Navy but your chain of command is broken.  There is no way they should be treating you like this.  Get a note from your doctor detailing your medical history for the last three or fours months and your "Chief" should back down.  If not keep jumping higher until someone who understands what's going on gets involved.

Kevin
US Army Vet.
2010-02-05 10:55 AM

Well, I finally got some good news. They rescheduled the weigh-in for two weeks from now to allow me to heal up a bit. Already back to where I need to be weight wise, so two weeks from now, I should be even better. I'm still getting muscle spasms, so I think I'm going to make an appointment to see the physical therapist, and maybe they can tell me why my medication isn't doing the trick. Isn't it frustrating to want to exercise more than you can because of injury? Ahh! I hope everyone on this board that has something keeping them from participating in triathlons/exercising heals quickly!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Going over the handlebars was just the icing on the cake (long story) Rss Feed