General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Buckeye Challenge or Toyota Challenge? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-15 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge or Toyota Challenge?
So I'll only have the chance to do one of these HIM races this season, and want to make a good choice. Can anyone offer their .02 for which race they'd choose and why?

Thanks.
Mike

2010-02-15 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2673611

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge or Toyota Challenge?
depends what you are looking for course wise.

Buckeye has a rolling bike course, one small hill on the run, and a much more scenic course overall.
Two loop bike, double out and back run (typical HFP long race run format).

Toyota is one of the fastest half courses in the area *IF* the weather is nice. I have never done this race with anything less than 15mph winds. It is DEAD flat save for the end of each loop on the bike, run is flat. The whole course is out in the sun and very open.

Both are fun races for their own reasons.
Buckeye is a bit harder course (nothing too much for a first time though by any means), toyota teh weather is normally what makes it harder.

You really cannot go wrong with either.
2010-02-15 1:55 PM

User image

Regular
Thanks for the input. A scenic race is worth something for me, so that's a big deal. Though the promise of flat terrain has its appeal, too. I see from the course maps that Buckeye has two laps for the bike, while Toyota has three. Since I'd prefer fewer laps, I think that's another score for Buckeye.
2010-02-15 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
I have raced at both (although I have only done the "oly" distance at buck creek). I am glad I picked Toyota for my half because I am comfortable with the course. The winds did suck but I didnt run into anything unexpected as far as the course goes. The Buck creek bike and run are very nice. The run was probably the nicest course on an HFP tri I have done except for maybe Maumee Bay. Buck creek had lakes and trees and some small hills and quite a bit of shade (which is important in August)
2010-02-16 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Buck Creek does have a nice run course. A really large part of it is on a paved trail. I had a lot of fun at Buck Creek! The course was a tad hilly, but nothing unmanageable. Most of it, you can see coming ahead of time. I only did the Mini there, and I've done the Mini and the 1/2 at Toyota. I am really comfortable on the Toyo course because there are so many races there. We are usually there twice a year, and even if I'm not racing, I'll go ride the course the day before. It's fun being one of the people who really knows the course and can squeeze everything out of it and not get taken by surprise on the hill. But the run is brutal and there is hardly any shade on the one part of it. Take a lot of sunscreen.

I've met a lot of really nice people at both.
HFP is great at both races.
2010-02-17 11:34 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks for all the helpful replies; I also enjoyed reading your race reports for the events. I'm definitely leaning towards Buckeye Challenge, but I do think I'll want to give Toyota a shot at some point, maybe 2011.

Thanks again.

2010-02-17 3:26 PM

User image

I have little to add what has already been said but Buckeye can be hot as it is usually at the end of August. Two years ago the sheriffs were not in place and the race didn't start until almost 9 AM and the run was brutal. Toyota is the end of September so the temperature should be ideal but as others have said there is wind to contend with and no shade on the run. HFP does a good job with their races, you can't go wrong.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Buckeye Challenge or Toyota Challenge? Rss Feed