General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Numb leg and foot on bike trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-20 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Subject: Numb leg and foot on bike trainer
I know there are numerous threads about this issue, but my issue is a tad different and looking for a solution.

First some background.....i started riding 3 years ago on a road bike.   I had the numb crotch issue and some slight issues with numb feet on rides.    I got a proper fit and clipless pedals but still didn't see any relief.   I finally bought Adamo saddle and almost immediately the issues were gone.   I rode that bike until this past May when i bought my first Tri bike.

When i bought my Tri bike, i again was properly fitted and moved the clipless pedals over from the roadie.   However, just recently i have noticed alot of numbess primarily in my left leg and foot.   The right leg and foot are great.   But the left leg and foot go numb shortly into the ride (maybe 15 minutes).   My crotch is a little numb, but not bad.   I have adjusted my cleats and concentrated on pushing and pulling but nothing works.

But here's the kicker, i only notice this while riding my trainer.   I've never really noticed it while riding outside....just my trainer.

So my question is, could this just be an issue on the trainer.   Anyone ever heard of such a thing?   I get out of aero regularly, but nothing works.

2010-02-20 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2683675

Veteran
Subject: RE: Numb leg and foot on bike trainer

Yes, it could be a product of your trainer. When I ride my trainer sometimes I have issues with my left hamstring. I can ride for only 25-30 minutes sometimes and have to stop and stretch it. It is tight, however on a ride outside I can ride 2 hourse easily and never stop. The only other question I might have would be if you have ever had an issue with your back. Other than that, if it is only on the trainer I wouldnt worry!

2010-02-21 3:40 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It's a byproduct of the static position you have on a trainer. Make sure you stand up for 30sec. or so every 10minutes.
2010-02-21 7:08 AM

User image

Master
You stay in the same position much more on the trainer than on the road, so it's easier to have issues like this. Hills, obstacles, traffic stops, etc. cause you to move around more in the saddle. I stand up every 10 - 15 minutes, as the previous poster suggested. It uses different muscles for a moment and allows better circulation.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Numb leg and foot on bike trainer Rss Feed