General Discussion Triathlon Talk » need advice on bike seat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-26 6:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
Subject: need advice on bike seat
I read lots of posts about bike seat recomendations for men but not many for women. But I bought a Specialized  Dolce Elite in November. Have over 150 miles on it on a trainer only. I have made some  adjustments  to try and make it more comfortable, but after half hour I am in pain in the crotch area. I am running the stock seat that came with it. Any suggestions about better seats that will not break the bank.

2010-02-26 6:35 PM
in reply to: #2696265

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: need advice on bike seat
cant help you on not breaking the bank, but in the long run you may save money. i bought a adamo race and hated it. changed to a fizik tri2 and hated it, i now have a cobb v-flow max and love it. finally found the right seat. but i paid 169.99 for it. they do have a 180 day return if you dont like it.
2010-02-27 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Since you bought a Dolce, I'll assume you are a female (like myself). Most women tend to have wider sit bones than men, so finding an appropriate saddle can often be difficult and time-consuming. It's basically a lot of "trial & error", until you find "the one". First thing I would recommend, is going back to your Specialized dealer and have them measure your sit bones using their BG butt-o-meter thingy. You sit on this gel-padded device and your sit bones will make indentations in the gel. They will measure those indentations and figure out the width of your sit bones...which will be very helpful in picking the right size saddle. Nice thing about Specialized saddles...is that most of them come in 3 sizes - 130mm, 143mm, and 155mm. Once you find the right size, then you need to determine if you need or want a cut-out in the saddle. Some women like a cut-out...some don't...it's a personal preference thing. Personally, I like having a cut-out. Another thing you'll need to determine is whether you need/want a soft, heavily padded saddle...or a firm, densely padded saddle. I have found that I do better with a firmer, minimally padded saddle. Shape of the saddle can also be an important factor in comfort. If the saddle doesn't slope in enough, you may get some chaffing. I prefer more of a "T-shaped" saddle to avoid any contact with the backs of my upper thighs. It's a process...but it's definitely worth the trouble if you want to be comfortable on the bike. Linda
2010-02-28 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
Good info for me to use as I seat shop. I have a direction to turn to and that is what I needed-Appreciate the posts
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » need advice on bike seat Rss Feed