Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » "Associating" my gear changed all my names! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-28 1:50 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: "Associating" my gear changed all my names!
I didn't realize that associating my gear (to get rid of the annoying red banner that kept asking me to) would change all the names...I had things named specific things for reasons and now I can't tell what any of my gear actually is.  Or, for example, I created a "gear" item called "Trainer 2010" so that I could use it to figure out how many of my bike miles were trainer miles at the end of the year.  Now it calls that a Computrainer...which it IS, but I'll retire it and create ANOTHER Computrainer next year...that just doesn't make sense.

Can't the associate just associate it back to you for review purposes and not change the name of your equipment?

2010-02-28 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2697665

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: "Associating" my gear changed all my names!
We are going to end that red banner redirect to the equipment tab next update. 

BUT can I ask, do you retire your same equipment (computrainer) yearly and make a new one JUST to be able to attribute trainer miles for per each year?  If that is the case, then we can see about showing yearly totals for a equipment so you don't have to retire/remake that equipment yearly.  Would that work?  This is one thing that we didn't know users were doing with the tracker.

Do you have other issues with naming your other equipment?  Does some equipment not fit the naming?  Note, multiple 'shoes' of the same will be numbered.
2010-02-28 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2697665

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

I've put off associating some of my equipment because I'd lose my unique naming for it.

Shoes are probably the most troublesome for me.  You can append a #1 and #2 on them to distinguish one from another, but I have a hard time remembering which is which in real life.

My naming method evolved to something like "Blue Kayano XV (02/2009)" so I know exactly what color they are and the month that I bought them (my pea brain does well describing like that... better than they're just the "XV" model).  

I usually have 2-4 pairs of shoes that I'm using at any given time, so the more I'm able to describe them, the better chance I have of assigning the right ones to a workout.  

Overall, I like how the equipment flows to the classifieds and to the reviews now - definitely an improvement.  Keep up the good work, guys.

2010-03-01 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2698911

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
StartingToTri - 2010-02-28 10:49 PM

I usually have 2-4 pairs of shoes that I'm using at any given time, so the more I'm able to describe them, the better chance I have of assigning the right ones to a workout. 

x2
2010-03-01 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2697937

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Ron - 2010-02-28 7:23 PMWe are going to end that red banner redirect to the equipment tab next update. 

BUT can I ask, do you retire your same equipment (computrainer) yearly and make a new one JUST to be able to attribute trainer miles for per each year?  If that is the case, then we can see about showing yearly totals for a equipment so you don't have to retire/remake that equipment yearly.  Would that work?  This is one thing that we didn't know users were doing with the tracker.

Do you have other issues with naming your other equipment?  Does some equipment not fit the naming?  Note, multiple 'shoes' of the same will be numbered.
The Computrainer is the only thing I have done that with. In reality it's a workaround for a log feature we just don't have yet. I would LOVE to see a log update so there is a check box on the bike workout if it's a trainer ride instead of an outdoor ride. Then I wouldn't have to use the equipment tracker for something that really was not its intended purpose. I really don't care how many miles my Computrainer has on it. I'd just like to know how many trainer miles I rode in a given month/year/week. I envision that under your monthly tallies you could have your overall bike mileage like you have now and then based on the check marks it would break out to two sub-categories of trainer miles vs. outdoor miles. I don't think that yearly totals for the gear log would be quite the same...mostly because I would sometimes like to see it broken out by months.As others have said I have the most issues with naming my shoes because I have SO many pairs and often multiples of the same kind. I would not mind associating the gear as long as the name I see in MY blog is whatever name I want to give it...i.e. Purple NB 1063's instead of NB 1063's. So while the naming convention of the gear is technically ACCURATE...i.e. the shoes ARE NB 1063's, that isn't enough to help me remember which shoe it is...even if you number them (because BT's number might not be the number I have for them in my head). Does that make sense? It may be as simple as adding another field that says "Show this gear in my gear list with the following name". But not being a programmer by trade I don't know how big a deal that would be.And while I'm on a roll with requests for the gear thing...I would absolutely love to see the ability to "build a bike" and change out components and have it automatically tally individual components for you.FOR EXAMPLE. I would like to have one piece of gear that is a bike. Within that bike I can tell it that I replaced the chain with a new one on 1 March so that every ride I log after that it would individually tally the mileage for that chain in addition to the overall mileage for the bike overall without me having to select that chain from the gear list every time I ride. The same could be said for tires, pedals, etc. I never remember to put tires in my gear list and surely would never remember to select them every time I rode, but if all I had to do was modify my bike ONCE saying I retired my old tires and have new ones now and have the gear tracker would do the rest...that would be SO cool. Edited to add that I had nice paragraphs in there and I have NO idea why the formatting is getting stripped...I'm not on my own computer so that could have something to do with it.

Edited by jldicarlo 2010-03-01 2:27 PM
New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » "Associating" my gear changed all my names! Rss Feed