General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-04-14 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2791269

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course : Official Thread
dharris13 - 2010-04-14 9:22 AM 2.5 weeks away!! How is training coming???

I'm as set as I'm going to be for wildflower (the double for me).  I did 1x4000m in the pool yesterday (first time I've gone that far since my bike crash aug 1 at vineman), have done a couple 100+ mile rides (including a double loop on the wildflower course), and running 16 miles for my long run (haven't fully bounced back yet from fractured vertebrae).  Should be enough to get me through next months races.

How's your training going?  Enjoy Lake San Antonio.  Say hi to Nasty Grade for me!

Linda, good luck at Boston!

2010-04-15 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2727535

Expert
haha i will say hi to nasty grade for you! Training is coming as planned for the past 3 weeks (fingers crossed it stays like this). I am buying the last few things i need/want for the race (new uniform, body glide, goggles) and a also got a new cassette.  Im going to try running a 13-29 on a standard crank. I know that might seem like overkill but i really do suck at hills. I am a little unsure if im going to spin out the 13t but i guess i will figure that out when i go down in a week.  I got a hotel in King City which will be close enough.

Anyone know about race day parking...where i can leave my car?

For those that are not making this their A race. How do you approach a HIM? i want to do my best (of course) but i will not be going in to the race on a nice taper bc im way too focused on LP to deviate from my plan too much. Next week will be my biggest volume week (16ish hours). Any thoughts on how others apprach a B race?

2010-04-15 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2792457

Expert
enginerd - 2010-04-14 5:49 PM
I did 1x4000m in the pool yesterday (first time I've gone that far since my bike crash aug 1 at vineman), !

btw congrats on the long swim!
2010-04-15 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2793993

User image

dharris13 - 2010-04-15 9:36 AM haha i will say hi to nasty grade for you! Training is coming as planned for the past 3 weeks (fingers crossed it stays like this). I am buying the last few things i need/want for the race (new uniform, body glide, goggles) and a also got a new cassette.  Im going to try running a 13-29 on a standard crank. I know that might seem like overkill but i really do suck at hills. I am a little unsure if im going to spin out the 13t but i guess i will figure that out when i go down in a week.  I got a hotel in King City which will be close enough.

For those that are not making this their A race. How do you approach a HIM? i want to do my best (of course) but i will not be going in to the race on a nice taper bc im way too focused on LP to deviate from my plan too much. Next week will be my biggest volume week (16ish hours). Any thoughts on how others apprach a B race?

Wildflower as a B race?  Have fun with that   Wildflower is a tough course to moderate your efforts.

You can prk outside the Park and ride in the race morning (which I think is crazy) or pay to get in and they'll direct you to parking
2010-04-15 1:22 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
dharris13 - 2010-04-15 9:36 AM haha i will say hi to nasty grade for you! Training is coming as planned for the past 3 weeks (fingers crossed it stays like this). I am buying the last few things i need/want for the race (new uniform, body glide, goggles) and a also got a new cassette.  Im going to try running a 13-29 on a standard crank. I know that might seem like overkill but i really do suck at hills. I am a little unsure if im going to spin out the 13t but i guess i will figure that out when i go down in a week.  I got a hotel in King City which will be close enough.

No question about it.  My all time highest bike speed is on the big descent after "Heart Rate Hill."  (And I came around the final curve at the bottom of the descent to see an ambulance picking up somebody who'd crashed at the bottom.)

Have to agree with Chris...pretty hard to race WFLC as a 'B' race.  I'm a very good runner and the run course destroyed me...I was actually unable to taper the run for WF, because LA Marathon had been moved to Memorial Day weekend and I had to get in a long run the weekend before WF as a result.  I'd say that contributed to my blowing up on the WF run.
2010-04-15 1:38 PM

User image

As for pacing, in my first race my buddy told me that if I was panting and out of breath with a high heartrate anytime prior to Nasty Grade, I was going too hard.  Ask me how that went 1 mile into the bike.......

2010-04-15 1:38 PM

User image

As for pacing, in my first race my buddy told me that if I was panting and out of breath with a high heartrate anytime prior to Nasty Grade, I was going too hard and in for a very long day.  Ask me how that went 1 mile into the bike.......

Edited by ChrisM 2010-04-15 1:39 PM
2010-04-15 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2794328

Expert
tcovert - 2010-04-15 2:22 PM

No question about it.  My all time highest bike speed is on the big descent after "Heart Rate Hill."  (And I came around the final curve at the bottom of the descent to see an ambulance picking up somebody who'd crashed at the bottom.)

Have to agree with Chris...pretty hard to race WFLC as a 'B' race.  I'm a very good runner and the run course destroyed me...I was actually unable to taper the run for WF, because LA Marathon had been moved to Memorial Day weekend and I had to get in a long run the weekend before WF as a result.  I'd say that contributed to my blowing up on the WF run.

By "B race" i mean i will not be doing a 2 week taper for the race and i will be working the day before the race. I clearly want to do well in the race. I understand from what people say how difficult this course is...and NO 70.3 is anything small. All i am saying is that it is not my major goal for the year.
2010-04-15 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2794302

Expert
ChrisM - 2010-04-15 2:14 PM

You can prk outside the Park and ride in the race morning (which I think is crazy) or pay to get in and they'll direct you to parking

Thanks. I will just go in and park. Any recomendation on what time to get there to avoid the huge rush of people?

Anyone leaving their bike overnight in T1?
2010-04-15 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2794374

User image

dharris13 - 2010-04-15 11:42 AM

Thanks. I will just go in and park. Any recomendation on what time to get there to avoid the huge rush of people?

I've only been driving out Sunday morning when the Oly people are arriving.  No idea, but give yourself enough time to get in, get parked, and walk about 1/2 hour down the hill to transition

There is no overnight bike parking in T1
2010-04-15 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2794377

Expert
ChrisM - 2010-04-15 2:43 PM

There is no overnight bike parking in T1

On page 11 of the guide it says:

BIKE CHECK OPTIONAL
Friday: Open at NOON
Saturday: Open at 6:00am
Sunday: Open at 6:30am

am i not understanding this correctly??

2010-04-15 2:13 PM

User image

that's a mechanical bike check, I believe, which is why it's listed as optional.  not a check in
2010-04-15 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2794457

Expert
ChrisM - 2010-04-15 3:13 PM that's a mechanical bike check, I believe, which is why it's listed as optional.  not a check in

Yep figured that was prob my error. thanks
2010-04-15 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2794374

User image

Modesto, California
dharris13 - 2010-04-15 11:42 AM

Try to time it so that you can get there when transition opens, most people will be camping and friends and family drive in later, so the major traffic rush shows up later. I got lost my first year following someone who I thought knew where they were going, know how to get there in the dark or allow time for that too.
The transition area is overwhelming so it helps getting there early to get your t-1 & t-2 bearings, also you can warm up for the swim straight out from the transition entrance, they wont let you in to warm up by the swim start, they do allow you to go in five minutes before your wave start, be warned people don't go in to warm up.
2010-04-16 11:26 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco

I didn't even know there was a 13-29 unless it's a mountain bike cassette.  I have a 12-27 with a standard up front that I typically use.

I don't have much info for you about parking since I always camp. 

I'm not really using Wildflower as an A race either and will likely just do a < 1 week taper.  It's all in a way training for IM LP for me too.  Just think of it as a big training day and you're not likely to set a PR at Wildflower unless this is your first half.
2010-04-16 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2796421

Expert
enginerd - 2010-04-16 12:26 PM

I didn't even know there was a 13-29 unless it's a mountain bike cassette.  I have a 12-27 with a standard up front that I typically use.

I don't have much info for you about parking since I always camp. 

I'm not really using Wildflower as an A race either and will likely just do a < 1 week taper.  It's all in a way training for IM LP for me too.  Just think of it as a big training day and you're not likely to set a PR at Wildflower unless this is your first half.

Thank you for the advice! This will be my 3rd. I wanted a 12-27 but could not find any with Campy set-up for a reasonable price.

2010-04-22 12:12 PM

Expert
Well the weather in the 10 day forecast looks good for Saturday! Hope it stays that way!!
2010-04-26 4:37 PM

Expert
Well not much action on this thread. I was at the race location on Saturday. I got on the bike at around 8:15. It was 48 degrees and foggy. It was pretty cold for the first 45 min. By the end the fog cleared and it was really nice out. Nasty grade is nasty...but doable so try not to be too intimadated by it (i know i was). There is a lot of climbing on the bike course...and it def will not be a PR bike split!
Anyway, feel fre to PM me if you have any specific questoions about the race site and i can try and help
2010-05-03 8:45 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
everybody have fun out there this weekend?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2