Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Glencoe Club
Total Time = 57m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

baby was up during the night, teething I think. So, slept in a bit. Got up 7:20, had a banana a couple cups of tea to get things moving. Pizza and a big salad last night for dinner. In laws came at about 7:50 to take care of the baby. Got in the car around 8:15 and at "the club" by about 8:30 so good time on that.
Event warmup:

Hung around waiting for the start. 600 people, so a fairly big race for my standards. It is at this private club. Swanky place. Found my buddy Rob and Maria and Tasnim, hung out. Took a final potty break. Got to the start about 30 seconds before the shot gun start. No chip time.
Run
  • 57m 52s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 47s  min/km
Comments:

Started at the end. I was pacing Marjorie so took it easy. Hadn't been feeling well since Thursday, well actually just Thursday but have been recovering since then. Kind of a crappy training week, didn't get in my long run so was feeling blue about that. Had wanted to "race" this one, thought I had a 50 minute in me, pretty sure I do, I mean I have done it training, but, decided to make it more of a fun run to get Marjorie involved, glad I did, because still feeling a little crumby and was in no mood for a gut busting run.

So started slow, at the back, we weren't sure how fast Marjorie could go. She has run maybe 10 times in the past year, although going to Karate quite a bit, but all of our "training runs" have been with me pushing a stroller after a hard week of training with frequent walk breaks. I was hoping to hit a 6:10-6:20 pace. Anyway, started making our way through the traffic, going pretty constant actually. Hit the first mile at about 10 minutes so good good. Average pace kept dropping then leveled out at about 5:47 at 5 k. Passed a bunch of people before 5 k, just cruising along. I felt great, no stiffness or pain or effort really in the legs. Not breathing hard. Felt really good. Marjorie was doing well, seemed loose, kept at that 5:47 until about a mile left when we thought we would speed up a bit. Dropped the pace to 5:20 and started motoring along. Ahhhhh, started a bit too soon, Marjorie was labouring a bit, so we slowed her back down a bit, cruised to within 100 meters of the finish then finished off.

Time is garmin time. Crossed the finish line at about 58:05 race time then to the time keepers so probably closer to 59 min by the time that is all done.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really fun.
Post race
Warm down:

Rob was at the finish, I was like, "thought you were going to get us a table" (at the buffet breakfast) he was like, "let's go", so we went. No line up when we got there, which was cool. Only allowed once through the line but it was a good spread, eggs, ham, hashbrowns, fruit salad, danishes, muffins, good stuff. I packed the plate high and heavy. Got us a table and chowed down.

Hung around for the awards and draws.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could say deciding to pace Marjorie, but I really don't think I had a bunch more effort in me. I mean I felt real fresh at the end but there was no way I had a 50 min in me and even a 55 would likely have been a stretch given the past few days. Or maybe I could have had a 50 min, I don't know. Doesn't matter, wasn't the point.

Only my 2nd 10k race, my first was almost 3 years ago. Did that in 1:03 or so. So I suppose a PB here. Kinda funny, I remember that race 3 years ago, my first race ever. Got home, passed out from being in so much pain and so tired.

Event comments:

Awesome race. 50 bucks. Great scenic course with hardly any traffic and off the roads for the most part. AWESOME post race meal and TONS of draw prizes. Something like 55 draw prizes including 2 sweet bikes. Really good time.

Last updated: 2010-02-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:52 | 10 kms | 05m 47s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Really nice, mostly on roads and paved trails. A couple mild hills and rollers, through the rich neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-04-11 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: Glencoe Ice Breaker

2010-04-11 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2783549

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: Glencoe Ice Breaker
didnt see you there....Paced with your wife I assume? Nice hubby!!! I left mine back in the pack.
and yes, those girls were young. brunch made it worth it. See you on pathways.
2010-04-12 10:54 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
great job...sounds like you had fun out there!
2010-04-12 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Good race!

Just about this:

Crossed the finish line at about 58:05 race time then to the time keepers so probably closer to 59 min by the time that is all done.

There's a timekeeper at the line that clicks right as you pass so the time they put on the results is exact, even if it seems like you wait in line to give up your tag on your race number. So you can usually trust their numbers as much as a chip.
2010-04-12 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2785399

User image

Champion
Calgary
Khyron - 2010-04-12 10:38 AM

Good race!

Just about this:

Crossed the finish line at about 58:05 race time then to the time keepers so probably closer to 59 min by the time that is all done.

There's a timekeeper at the line that clicks right as you pass so the time they put on the results is exact, even if it seems like you wait in line to give up your tag on your race number. So you can usually trust their numbers as much as a chip.

Ah, and you are right. Just checked the results and they had it at 58:05.
2010-04-12 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Well done.

Sounds like a really fun event.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Glencoe Ice Breaker Rss Feed