General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Fling Triathlon/Duathlon & Kids mini-tri/du Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spring Fling Triathlon/Duathlon & Kids mini-tri/du - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elma, Washington
United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My ever growing prerace routine. My last race it was a nice jog warm up to get read but this was a nice car ride and a lot of jittery nerves. This was my first tri and I was nervous about the swim. I know I can swim in a pool but the last time I swam in a lake was 20 or more years ago.
I got up in the morning had a peanut butter and banana sandwich on some tasty bread. Hydrated myself, had my vitamins and hung out with my family before I headed out to the race.

Event warmup:

My warm up was walking around and setting up my transition spot. It was warm out and being the first day this hot in months I was getting warm just hanging out. I got my wet suite on and wet in the water for a few minutes took a few strokes and felt good with that.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 273 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Well the swim was the swim. This was my first tri and I knew I would get mauled if I was in front so I hung back and waited a second for the faster guys to get going. There is good and bad to that. The good is that I did not get kicked to much and I was not stuck in a harder pace than I could handle. The bad was I was stuck in a pace that was slower than I could handle and I was stuck behind the group trying to find my way around.
I tried all I could to get around some people and get in a groove but there was no luck. I could not get in a swim groove and could not get around the guys in front of me. They swam ok but were doing the swim float, swim float thing and I was trying to do the see if I can swim thing. Put it all together and all I did was swim with my head up and get through the swim. I was fine with that. However I forgot to start my watch so I was not sure how I was doing. At the half way point I turn onto my back and tried to start my watch but no luck I could not concentrate on that and trying to move at the same time so I said forget it and just went for the swim.

What would you do differently?:

I think next time I do a race I will just put my head down and go for it. The worst thing that can happen might be is I get kicked or run out of breath. I just know I could have done a little better but mentally I was psyched out on this one before it even started.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition went well. I got my suite off quickly and dried my feet. I got my socks on and bike shoes on and felt good. I had turned my timer on at this point and I think I was right around the 3 minute mark for my transition from out of the swim to getting on my bike. I cannot say time for sure as I was dead focused on my ride and wanting to do well.

I think sockless shoes would be a good thing for me. I am not great on my bike so the ruber abnd deal is not for me at this time, but a time saveings in no socks might be nice.
Bike
  • 39m
  • 13 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was fun. I thought it was going to be tough. I jumped on my bike and noticed that my water bottle for the bike was relaxing in my car. It was the one thing I forgot to hook up. I filled it but did not put it on the bike. I figured oh well 13 miles no problem I will get through it. I was right I got through it but a little hydration would have been nice. I felt good in the bike. My bike responded well and my gear changes were good. It is hard to judge where I am at in the race because the duathlon and the triathlon go at the same time, but it was fun to be out there with a lot of people. Learned I love to ride hard. I made up a lot of ground on other tri folks in the bike after my great swim but I knew the run was still to come. The course itself was nice. I only had to slow down one time for a tracker to cross the road and after that the turn around was a nice sight. Made the turn and motored back in. Over all the bike was nice and mostly flat. A couple small hills on the way out but not to hard to navigate. I was able to stay in the aero position the whole time and keep my legs moving.

Make sure water bottle is on bike, maybe sockless shoes and some day better gears and rims for bike. Other than that I was good and happy with my bike ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Got off bike in a good spot and ran it over to my spot. I am a person who has to stop the bike to get off but I felt good about it. I recently put Yanks on my shoes so I was able to slip out of my bike shoes and into my running shoes rather fast. I felt good about it. i had a water bottle sitting in my spot so i took a swig of water and off I went.

Not much. I felt ok with how I did in T2.
Run
  • 24m
  • 3 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

The run was not good for me. A 3 miler should not be to hard and should not take much effort. I got going on then my feet began to hurt and This was not a good thing. I kept going but by feet were in a world of hurt. The Yanks I put on were good the night before but that was when my feet were not hot and swollen. The run was going to be my relaxation time. I have done a lot of runs and knew I could make it so after my first swim race and bike race I knew I could rely on the run to relax my body. Mentally I was done. I had psyched myself out in this so bad that when the run came along my body went into relaxation and exhaustion. I knew I could keep going and I did up to the turn around. I was doing well until I got to the turn around and the water station that was there. The person who was manning the station was semi rude and tossed me for a loop. He had two cups in his had and asked if I wanted water or Gatorade. I said water and he turned to the table and said its over there if you want some. I was like what the hell man, but I was thirsty and hot so I got a cup and went on my way. By now my left foot was cramping up badly and my right foot was feeling as if it had a blister on the ball of the foot. With the events I have in the next couple weeks I decided to walk. I was mad and did not know what my deal was. Just a couple small issues with my feet and I knew I was done. The odd part was it did not change my place much. I was in a pocket with a couple other guys who passed me when I was walking but after that I was all alone for a bit. I did get back to running at around the duathlon turn around area, so I walked maybe ¼ - ½ of a mile or somewhere close to that. I get into form and mentally knew I had to continue to run. I adjusted my running foot strike and my gate to allow for my pains and I finished the race. Again I am not sure how I did in the run. I am sure my run was around 8 min miles due to walking. Cannot say I am happy with it but it is what it is this time around. Just how the ball bounced that day. From the time I was just out of the water to the time I got to the finish line I know by my watch it was 1h 10min and the time on the big clock was 1h 20min and not adjusted for the difference in start time. Look forward to next time.

Fix my Yanks or get better shoes that are sockless to go with sockless bike shoes.
Post race
Event comments:

Can not wait to do this again and take what I learned about me and my performance and turn that into a better showing. I now have a triathlon starting point and can work on things. The people who put the race on were very nice and do a good job.

Last updated: 2010-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 273 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:00 | 13 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:00 | 03 miles | 08m  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-04-19 5:54 PM

New user
Bonney Lake
Subject: Spring Fling Triathlon/Duathlon & Kids mini-tri/du
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Fling Triathlon/Duathlon & Kids mini-tri/du Rss Feed