General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recurring Knee pain issue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-07 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, Maryland
Subject: Recurring Knee pain issue
Three-four months back I was having no knee issues and upped my running to 25-30/mpw. Was seeing improvement and then my right knee was getting sore after the run, never felt anything during the run. So I did the BT way and HTFU which got me sidelined for 6weeks (big mistake for me). I have started back slowly running 2-4 miles and consistently have recurring stiffness in the knees (both) since. Goes away after two days and then I run again and have the stiffness. Honestly I am 230 lbs and 50 years old, built more Linebacker style then Marathoner. The doctors has examined my knees and finds no arthiritis or any misalignment or tendon damage.
I am self-examining myself and wondering why I am even running at all. Maybe I should just give up on doing my HIM in june and let my body heal completely and start back up in a few months. I get no pain from cycling or swimming.
Would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Frustrated in Maryland

2010-05-07 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2843221

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Recurring Knee pain issue
NOTE: DON'T TAKE PEOPLES MEDICAL ADVICE ON THE INTERNET

That said, for me, I was having recurring knee pain a few months ago in my right knee. I'm normally a pretty tough guy so for me to go to the ortho says bounds as to how much it hurt (after running... not during) I expected a serious issue. After an examination, I was told to rest a week or two, swim and light bike, and see what happened. Pain did NOT subside. Some days It would not hurt at all, other days, almost inability to walk.  I went back, had an MRI, and went to get results.

Nothing... no swelling, no damage, nada. My ortho suggested I switch my NSAID from Ibuprofen to something else.

I did (can't remember the name of the one I'm taking now... there are a ton of different ones) and the pain has gone away, pain free for over a month and plenty of decent efforts on it. I take one every morning...

some people just react different to different medicines. Heck, give it a go, it's worth a shot.
2010-05-07 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2843242

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Leegoocrap - 2010-05-07 6:21 AM NOTE: DON'T TAKE PEOPLES MEDICAL ADVICE ON THE INTERNET

That said, for me, I was having recurring knee pain a few months ago in my right knee. I'm normally a pretty tough guy so for me to go to the ortho says bounds as to how much it hurt (after running... not during) I expected a serious issue. After an examination, I was told to rest a week or two, swim and light bike, and see what happened. Pain did NOT subside. Some days It would not hurt at all, other days, almost inability to walk.  I went back, had an MRI, and went to get results.

Nothing... no swelling, no damage, nada. My ortho suggested I switch my NSAID from Ibuprofen to something else.

I did (can't remember the name of the one I'm taking now... there are a ton of different ones) and the pain has gone away, pain free for over a month and plenty of decent efforts on it. I take one every morning...

some people just react different to different medicines. Heck, give it a go, it's worth a shot.

Watch those NSAIDs.  They can have an impact on your kidneys.

As far as the OP goes, here's a laundry list of things to consider:

• volume, too much too soon, too fast a buildup, quicker than your soft tissues are able to adjust to
  • keep the pace slow
  • shoes, worn out or wrong type for your needs
  • warmups/cooldowns/stretching
  • walk/run is a good option
  • aquajogging, good rehab and strengthening, good between run days
  • knee straps for runner's knee, supposedly caused by muscle imbalance (http://www.bigkneepain.com/runners_knee.html)
  • don't overstride or land with feet out in front, feet should touch under your center of gravity, and try not to bounce up and down but keep more of a level glide
  • consider changing to a forefoot strike.  There are some on this site that will disagree with this and argue passionately against it.  Research it and draw your own conclusions.  It will move much of the load onto your calves and achilles and make you susceptible to more strains and injuries there, but should relieve some impact from your knees.  It's a slow process to switch over (like 6-18 months).  I've done it and my knees are happier for it.
2010-05-07 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
I'm 51 and a lot lighter than you are (135), but I also struggle with my knees.  In my experience, the problems come from the various muscles that attach at the knee.   I am sure that I have some muscle imbalances and when I push too hard (more on the bike for me, but run/bike combo can also do it), I will end up in pain for a couple days.   Check out the videos and explanations here as they may help you sort out which muscles are your prime offenders:

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/

2010-05-07 7:23 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
How about IT band pain? I was having a tremendous amount of knee pain. I went to an orthopod, got MRI, got no satisfaction or diagnosis. Finally started searching the internet and my symptoms were exactly those described for IT band. I started dedicated stretching and strengthening exercises and have been essentially pain free since. Never really had to stop running. I don't know if orthopods are generally not in tune with this diagnosis or if it was just the one that I was seeing. When I finally saw him again, I told him about the IT band diagnosis and he said, "OH?"

2010-05-08 1:31 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
do you have flat feet (fallen arches) ?

I swear I solved my knee problems with off the shelf insoles...SuperFeet.
but can't be sure.

All I know is that my knee pain disappeared after I started using these insoles.
Unfortunately the increased running volume created some other issues, but I have no knee pain at all.

I started with the "Green" model but switched to the "Orange" and this is a better overall design for me since it has a cushion on the forefoot.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recurring Knee pain issue Rss Feed