General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Olympic Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-11 2:22 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Olympic Triathlon : Official Thread

OK there has to be other RBR runners who are now gearing up for the GH Tri.  I am in for the OLY.  My 2nd OLY and first GH Tri.  I am a little worried about the OWS in Lake Michigan.  Either swimming in huge waves or being forced to do a duathlon if they cancel the swim again.

Has anyone done this before?  Any words of wisdom?

2010-05-11 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2850350

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Olympic Triathlon : Official Thread
I did the Oly last year.  Yes, they had the swim.  It was  wavy, fortunately for me I live here and swim in the Lake quite often.  The bike has some rolling hills for the most part.  There is quite a climb right before you make the turn to head back.  At the last leg on Grand there are two short, but steep climbs as you head back toward the lake.  I'm always out of my saddle here.  The last hill is going back up to the Y, but at least everyone is there to cheer you on.  The run is flat and zero shade on the board walk (cement) until the end then there is one hill  getting back up to the Y. 
I will be doing the sprint this year.  I have 1/2 ironman Racine the next weekend. 

Good Luck and enjoy Grand Haven.  It's a great town if you've never been here. 
Kelly
2010-05-13 7:47 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Olympic Triathlon : Official Thread
I'll be doing the sprint tri again this year; last year was my first.  I thought it was a great event, well run, fun town, great vibe.

The start being on the beach of Lake MI with the smallish rollers we had last year really pumped me up.  I thought it was a way cooler vibe anticipating the start in a setting like that than an event like the Millenium Tri.  Not knocking the Millenium, it's just tough to compare an inland lake setting to Lake MI.

The only bad thing about it is the variable that Lake MI conditions provides.  For me, it wouldn't be as fun as a dually.  This is one of my favorite events of the year.
2010-05-13 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
Kelly
Let me know how the Racine 1/2 goes.  I am targetting that for next year.  See you on the 11th.

Rob
2010-05-14 6:25 AM

User image

Chelsea, MI
1. Leftrunner (Oly)
2. Gojogo (Sprint)
3. Paddlesurfer (Sprint)
4. HNewman (Oly)
5. Knewbike (Oly)

We'll both be there!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Olympic Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed