General Discussion Race Reports! » St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. George, Utah
United States
BBSC Endurance Sports.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 37s
Overall Rank = 163/444
Age Group = 40 over C
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5. Had bowl of oatmeal, cliff bar & coffee. Got to Sand Hollow at 7 and had found good spot @ T1. My plan was to get there early to get a good spot and just relax in my car till the start. But park officals made everyone park outside the park, which is a mile away. So I had to pack my 3 bags of stuff and bike into the park (pain in the A##). Talked with some club members & friends and found a good spot to sit & wait till my wave started, which was at 9:50!!!
Event warmup:

About 40 minutes to start ate a Powerbar gel.
Swim
  • 13m 28s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a "in the water" start. I decided to stay right in the middle of the start line and in the front. Gun went off. I swim it fast at the start so I wouldn't get run over, but it never happened. I found someone to draft after a couple hundred yards, but he started slowing down after awhile, so I passed him. About half way I started passing the wave before us. The last two hundred yards I was getting tired & my googles started to fog up. Overall I finished the swim strong. I swam this course almost 5 minutes faster than a tri I did last year (different tri, but same course).
What would you do differently?:

Practice more on my navigation, the last two hundred yards I looked up way too much. More conditioning.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

I did ok on time. Had to work extra hard to get my suit off at the heels (as always). Decided to wear socks. I had them all rolled up ready to go, but I ended up rolling the first one upside down. So I had to take them off and start over. Cliped my race belt, glasses, & helmet on and off I went. I was worried that my T1 time would be slow, but in my division I had the second fastest time.

Need to work on getting suit off and socks on faster.
Bike
  • 46m 46s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I could have gone faster than what I did. I passed some and got passed alot. I have ridden this course several times and I felt confident about racing it, but racing & practice are two different things. And I went for it and killed my legs. Again I improved my time 3 minutes from last year's race.

I need to ride more. Learn to ride my bike better. More cadence than muscle on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Great T2 time. Fastest in my division. Racked the bike, bike shoes off, run shoes on, helmet off, grabed visor & watch and off I went. I put my watch & visor on and turned my race belt around after I left the transition area. Only hiccup I had was that I didn't secure my garmin on my wrist correctly and it fell off. It fell in front of me, so it didn't slow my transition time at all.

secure the garmin better.
Run
  • 34m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a good race until my least favorite event... the run. I had hoped to finish at a 10 minute mile or better, but I knew after 1/2 a mile that I had nothing left. I got to the first aid station and they had gel & water. I took 1 cup water, but no gel. The water was a so good I could have stayed there and drank all day. But I did have a race to do. So I kept jogging (more like a fast walk) and got to the turn around. I had hoped I could kick it in gear, since I knew that it was mostly downhill. It didn't kick in. I kept moving and kept getting passed. I got to the same aid station and took two more watesr and no gel. Best water in the world! I had one last hill to climb. As soon as I saw the finish line I took my visor off and made sure my tri shirt was down (I have a big belly). I was tired, mad, happy, but I still knew I had one picture to take and I wanted to look good (except I didn't smile or wave) At the end I had one guy that raced me down (so uncool) and one girl that I decided I wouldn't be like that guy and race her down.

Almost 1 minute slower than last year. I need to run more and hydrate better.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and a sport bottle with water. I had two refill and some banana and grapes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have never taken gel or nutrition during a sprint distance. But due to the warm weather and the long wait at the start, I should have taken something at the end of the bike and/or at the first run aid station. Overall I did improve my time by 7 minutes from last year.

Event comments:

The race was well organzied. Had a post lunch as well.

Last updated: 2010-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:28 | 820 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/444
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 1 loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:46 | 12.43 miles | 15.95 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: out & back. with roller and one big hill.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:49 | 03.11 miles | 11m 12s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: out & back. same course of the bike
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-17 12:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Sprint Triathlon

2010-05-17 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2862393

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Sprint Triathlon

Seven minutes over last year is a HUGE improvement - great job!  And you did REALLY well in your division - only a minute off the podium - FANTASTIC job!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed