Australia
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 3s
Overall Rank = 983/3836
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 118/318
Pre-race routine:

Had a fairly ordinary nights sleep and woke up a couple of times worried that i would sleep through my alarm. I drove to the coast at 5am and on the way ate my PowerBar about 3/4 of an hour before the race (this is the norm for a race for me, i just can't have cereal or toast). Got to the race with only about 15mins before the start so was unable to get to the loo for a "you know what" but luckily this didn't cause any problems.
Event warmup:

The warm up was a little stretching but was really nothing flash. There was heaps of people lined up for the race and i thought there was no way I would spot my buddies and then, all of a sudden, they showed up out of no-where, very cool!!
Run
  • 1h 42m 3s
  • 21 kms
  • 04m 52s  min/km
Comments:

The start was a slow walk with heaps of people jostling to get across the start line, which took at least 2mins but once across, everybody seemed to spread out and I was able to settle into a good 5min/km pace by about the first km. I felt really good after about the 3km mark so i picked up the pace a little and by the half way mark I was 2min faster then my goal time for the race ( i had a Gel at about the 9km mark and this gave me a boost of energy). I kept this pace most of the way home but the last 3kms was a killer, they seemed to go on and on.... I completed the last couple of k's by telling myself "it's only 15min of pain to go, 10mins to go, and finally 5mins to go".
What would you do differently?:

I was over the moon with my time, beating my goal by 3mins, so there is not much i would do differently. One thing maybe would be to have another Gel at about the 15km mark for the run home.
Post race
Warm down:

The warm down consisted of a small stretch, some water and a couple of bananas. I waited for my buddies, with water and fruit, and we chatted about how we all struggled the last 3kms.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My running is coming along in leaps and bounds and I'm really seeing some major improvements. The main thing that is missing from my training is sprint work so i will be trying to include it in my training from now on.

Event comments:

This was my first half marathon and it was fantastic. All the hard work i have been putting into my training has certainly paid off. The day was topped off by running with my buddies and us all celebrating our achievement together.

am thinking about the full marathon next year.....

Last updated: 2005-07-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:03 | 21 kms | 04m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 0/318
Overall: 0/3836
Performance: Good
Course: out and back course, fairly flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-04 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Gold Coast Half Marathon

2005-07-04 7:10 PM
in reply to: #190002

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Gold Coast Half Marathon
Congrats on your race, that is a really fast time you put up there.
2005-07-06 4:32 AM
in reply to: #190002

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Gold Coast Half Marathon
Paul, that time is fantastic!
Under 5 min/kms - needless to say you know how jealous and imperssed I am!
Sounds like a great day out with your buddies. How lucky you are to share the experience with them.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gold Coast Half Marathon Rss Feed