General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nauseous during swim today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-06 11:19 AM

Subject: Nauseous during swim today
So I had a race this morning, which got pretty screwed up about 1/3 into the 600m swim. I started to feel nauseous in a big way. I started to breast stoke for a while which helped a little bit, and then went back to freestyle, but within 3 or 4 strokes, the nauseousness returned, forcing me back to the breast stroke. I traded of like that for a couple 100m. Eventually even the breast stroke wasn't helping, so I was swimming the breast stroke with my head out of the water the whole time. Needless to say, my swim was painfully slow.

I didn't feel like I was pushing it too hard, I still felt like I had plenty of energy, so it's not like the nauseousness you get when you push too hard, or too long (at least it didn't feel like it.) I have heard that this is somewhat common in cold water, but this was a rather warm neighborhood lake, probably 80-82F.

The nauseousness lasted about half way into the bike leg, which caused my bike leg to be significantly slower as well.

Any ideas what may have caused this, or what I might be able to do in the future to prevent it?

2010-06-06 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2903380

User image

Expert
South Florida
Subject: RE: Nauseous during swim today

This happens to me if I don't use earplugs, no matter the water temp or distance. I use the Speedo ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-71387-009-Rubber-Ear-Plugs/dp/B00070QEMQ

2010-06-06 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2903389

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Turnin2 - 2010-06-06 12:22 AM

This happens to me if I don't use earplugs, no matter the water temp or distance. I use the Speedo ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-71387-009-Rubber-Ear-Plugs/dp/B00070QEMQ

x2
2010-06-06 7:35 PM

User image

Ear plugs.

These are the ones I use. They work for me.
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2240.htm

You'll have to figure out what works for you. But to check this go to Wal-Mart or similar and get a pair of $.25 foam ear plugs and swim in them. Should not have those issues. If that's the case, go find some swimming ear plugs like the couple types mentioned and use 'em.
2010-06-06 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
Do try some earplugs. I always felt nauseous with out them on OWS. I use some TYR molded ones. The center tube is hollow so you can still hear.
2010-06-06 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
Another vote for earplugs... it solved my problem when swimming in cold water very nicely.  I like Doc's Proplugs because they fit in the ear without sticking out where they can get bumped.
http://www.proplugs.com/

Jason

2010-06-06 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

Were you wearing a wetsuit? If so, you probably overheated.

2010-07-19 7:52 AM

I had the same problem during a triathlon Sunday. I was about 3/4 through the swim and I began to feel nauseous. I tried resting and changing my stroke, but it became so intense that a kayaker had to tow me in. They took my timing chip and I was out. 
It took me about an hour to recover. Food and caloric beverages helped settle my stomach. The race physician followed me around, certain that I was having a heart attack, or had bonked.
I have a terrible tendency to motion sickness. I got sick years ago while trying to swim in from a snorkel trip and hit wind and waves. The more my body tossed around (like a surfboard or driftwood), the sicker I got. I almost didn't make it in.
This was only my second sprint. The first, a half-mile, in a lake, I had no nausea.
This race was 1/3 mile, in the Hudson River. I forgot my earplugs. I don't know if that contributed to the intensity of motion sickness, but I doubt it.
As strange as it seems, I know I didn't get sick for any other reason (lack of sleep, poor training, breakfast) than motion sickness.
As for ways to prevent it . . . Hmm. I'm just going to keep trying. I suspect I will not fare well in the ocean. Lakes shouldn't be a problem. I don't know about the river. I will not forget my ear plugs again. I will make sure to eat more. I will also try to find more open water to practice.
Good luck. Let me know how you feel during your next competitive swim. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nauseous during swim today Rss Feed