General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Back Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-05 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Subject: Sore Back
Yesterday I raised my bike seat about 1/2 an inch because it seemed I wasn't getting the right extenstion in my legs (yes I know you all will tell me to get my bike professionally fitted). I am wondering if that can be the cause of a sore lower back after an hour long ride. The ride went well and I felt fine but latter in the evening and then this morning it was sore. Very low down on my back.

2005-07-05 4:18 PM
in reply to: #190732

Master
portland, or
Subject: RE: Sore Back
It's certainly possible that your seat adjustment is causing your back ache. Keep in mind that when you raise your seat you also move it backwards due to the angle of the seat post. Therefore you've now increased the reach to the handle bars. You've also increased the drop from the saddle to the handle bars, further increasing the reach.

So while the new seat height might be correct, the longer reach it caused is the source of your problems. Just speculating, of course.

Keep in mind that if you move your seat forward, you also shorten the seat height as it relates to the bottom-bracket.

Now, it's possible that the new position is actually a very good position. You just need to acclimate to it. I take it you felt good while you were on the bike. If you think the position is fine, then work on hamstring flexibility. Tight hamstrings will put tension on your lower back. Also, be sure your rotating your pelvis forward. A common mistake is to bend forward at your waist with your pelvis rotated back. Again this puts added tension on your back, and with a slightly longer reach and drop could be what's the cause.

Hopefully this makes sense and gives you some places to look.

scott
2005-07-09 9:42 PM
in reply to: #190732

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Sore Back

I will difinitely have a pro move my seat and/or handlebars.    Just because I would screw myself up.

I've been told that even minor adjustmants, it can affect your body, so you should expect some changes till the body adapts to the new alignment.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Back Rss Feed