General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-race warm-up and racing in the rain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-12 9:23 AM

User image

Regular
Waltham
Subject: Pre-race warm-up and racing in the rain
Two-fold question in preparation for Oly tri tomorrow (last minute, I know!)
1. What do you do/recommend for a pre-race warm-up?  Last year was my first tri season, and I pretty well neglected a warm-up other than a little jogging and barely a swim.  I recognize now that this is important, but the 20' of each discipline that my training program calls for seems to be a bit excessive.  Instead, I was thinking of a 10-15' run w/ a few strides, then go back to transition area and get my wetsuit on, make sure everything is all set, and then swim for ~ 10', hopefully finishing about 10-15' before my wave starts.  Thoughts?  Should I be getting on the bike too?

2. It appears there might be some rain during the race - I've never ridden, let alone raced in the rain.  Any suggestions for being safe, but hopefully still fast during the bike?  It will be my first race on my P2 and I'm anxious to let her rip!

Thanks so much in advance for any advice! 

2010-06-12 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2917300

Subject: RE: Pre-race warm-up and racing in the rain
I would just do a short warmup swim to get used to the water. I won't worry trying about do anything on the bike. Depending on the size of the TRI or the rules, it may be difficult to even get a bike ride in before the race. The swim and the run in to T1 is enough to get ready for the bike. It is going to be a long time before you get to the run so I wouldn't bother to warm up. You will be plenty warmed up after the riding the bike. You still have to adjust to running off the bike anyway then so no amount of warmup earlier will help.

As to what to watch out for when riding in the Rain:

Braking will be longer so allow more distance
Take it a little easier when cornering, your tire will have a little less grip
Watch out for painted surfaces on the, they are very slippery when wet.
Watchout at railroad crossing, the rails will be slippery, so be careful crossing a an angle other then 90 deg.
Avoid puddles if possible, may hide a large pothole that could end your day.

Most import is to enjoy yourself inspite of the weather. Keeping a positive attidude helps

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-race warm-up and racing in the rain Rss Feed