General Discussion Race Reports! » MotorCity Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MotorCity Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 11m 33s
Overall Rank = 5/162
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/37
Pre-race routine:

Ate a poptart with Kathleen and Kimm. Drove to race site. Sang, danced, carried on like a fool and peed in my wetsuit...while still standing on shore. Yep, that's how I roll...
Event warmup:

Rode the mile to T1 and did some dry land warm up stuff, swam for min or two.
Swim
  • 12m 27s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started at the back of the pack with Karen and Sue on purpose. Had we known everyone was going to walk so far out we would've started closer to the front. When I had an open space to get my groove on I was golden. I'm not fond of dodging folks in the water. Big ups to the girls for sticking with this water freak. :)
What would you do differently?:

Start more toward the front. Learn to love swimming...or learn to hate it less.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Suit off in the water where I guess I had a little conversation with my friend Karen...Later saw that in pictures. Guess I should learn not to socialize while I'm racing...There was a little hike to T1, everything else was golden.

Not talk to Karen until AFTER the race? Maybe? Just a thought...
Bike
  • 32m 28s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 22.97 mile/hr
Comments:

The first loop was tough, out of breath, legs feeling it. The second loop I either started to come around or I chilled...I didn't have my power tap on so I don't know what happened. If I was slower the second loop I'm totally blaming it on the geese...yeah, geese were crossing the road while we were racing. Lucky for them I had room to dodge cause I'd totally win a game of chicken with a goose. um, what?

If I had a computer and saw my pace slip I'd have pushed harder. Other than that I think I am pleased. Yeah, I'm pleased.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

So...I got a little lost coming into T2. I'm used to following people but my wave was first so that was not the case. I had to slow down considerably and ask spectators where I was supposed to go. The entrance wasn't marked so well.

Listen to the pre-race meeting or glance at one of the many course maps that were posted on every available surface. oops. Maybe not pointed out my bad ass skid mark I laid down stopping to the two kids spectating.

Focus trixie, focus...
Run
  • 23m 54s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

not so bad. I again had to ask for directions from a spectator where to go. I'm not as smart as I look...

I felt very comfortable off the bike. Surprisingly it only took 15-30 seconds to hit a nice groove. Passed my friend Trish, grabbed her ass, noticed that her zoot shoes were tightened...looked down, discovered I forgot to do that with mine. oops.

Again, good groove, didn't see anyone in front of me and noticed only 4 bikes in transition when I arrived. Passed one so I knew there were 3 others out there. In the wooded section I started to go too easy and remembered that there was another wave behind us...girls in that wave could still post faster times than me. Damn, that's not cool so I picked it up a bit. I caught glimpse of a chick, very slowly made my way to her, exchanged pleasantries and then she said there's a girl up there in green, go get her. Ok. I shall. So I did. After that there was just a half mile left. Done. Hooray.

Learn to read a race map?? Tighten shoes? Remember to never ease up, it's always me against the clock, never me against the field.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged back on the course to cheer people on and find Karen and Sue. Found em. Ran Sue in :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The 20+ hour training week?? Running 21 miles and biking an hour and a half on Friday?? Not knowing how to get comfortable in the water and not knowing the course?

This was a last min race, signed up the day before. I did as well as I could on that day, probably...:)

Event comments:

I absolutely love racing with the people I've met on BT. What a great weekend. :)

Last updated: 2010-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:27 | 547 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/37
Overall: 342/162
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Rocket Science
Course: out and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:28 | 12.43 miles | 22.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/37
Overall: 4/162
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops around the island.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:54 | 03.4 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/37
Overall: 2/162
Performance: Good
Course: some along island roads and some in single track wooded area.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-14 3:16 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
Subject: MotorCity Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2010-06-14 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2921016

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: RE: MotorCity Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Trixie, you always make me smile. Poptarts as prerace food.  I love it! 

And most of all seeing Steve's pictures on Facebook of you in the water -- YOU a little swimmer girl now :-)

Way to go girl!
2010-06-14 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Awesome race Trixie!  I love your pee stories, I don't know why.  Very respectable swim you had too, even with standing around and gabbing with Karen.  Your bike and run are phenomenal - you are definitely in a whole 'nother league!
2010-06-14 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
Damn, I made the race report!  Word!   

The grab was a great motivator!  Thanks Trixie!  Wish I could have chased you a bit more, but um, your Trixie and I'm me. 

Congrats on the nice fishy.  Don't worry, I don't think you'll have to deal with walkers in the drink at Vineman!

It was awesome to race with you dear! xo
2010-06-14 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You are SO FAST!! Fantastic race Lisa!!
2010-06-14 3:49 PM

User image

Wait a minute.... this was a tri?  with swimming and everything??   Wow!   Fast girls rock

2010-06-14 8:08 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Nicely done Trix!  Just being at the race - you motivate and encourage people.  And when you race said race, you're too much fun!

Congrats on a great race and some well deserved hardware... or the frame with fake gold.
2010-06-15 9:07 AM

User image

Regular
Owosso Michigan
Haha, I heard a couple of guys talking out in the water during my warm up about some crazy chic peeing while standing on shore... What a great conversation would have been better had I already known it was you   although I should have guessed.

When you passed me on the bike I tried to hang for about a half a lap with you.  Leg's just didn't have it yet as I was still redlined from the swim.  You rock Trixie!

Nice race!
2010-06-15 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Congrats on 1st-place in your (young) AG! 
2010-06-15 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2922424

User image

Champion
Michigan

craigweaver - 2010-06-15 10:07 AM Haha, I heard a couple of guys talking out in the water during my warm up about some crazy chic peeing while standing on shore... What a great conversation would have been better had I already known it was you   although I should have guessed.

When you passed me on the bike I tried to hang for about a half a lap with you.  Leg's just didn't have it yet as I was still redlined from the swim.  You rock Trixie!

Nice race!

That's hysterical... I was standing there peeing and I announced it, some guys looked at me funny, must've been them?? Great race for you, too, Craig!!

2010-06-16 3:12 PM

User image

Royal Oak
"and announced it"...I almost peed myself laughing at this! It would be great to get out to ilra with you all at some point. Pleas let me know when you go. Thx!

2010-06-16 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2926255

User image

Champion
Michigan

blakekenny1 - 2010-06-16 4:12 PM "and announced it"...I almost peed myself laughing at this! It would be great to get out to ilra with you all at some point. Pleas let me know when you go. Thx!

A bunch of us will be out there tomorrow, BK. Check the MI thread.  Would love to swim with you!! Just might not be in your best interest to draft off me

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MotorCity Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed