General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-16 9:04 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: PF
OK, I think I am in the beginning stages of PF. Arches are sore when I get out of bed, for the first half a mile or so of a run, and then after I've been sitting for a while. Heels are not sore, though, and I thought that was the main indicator of PF.

I'm icing, stretching, rolling a firm ball under my arches, starting an ibuprofen regimen, sleeping in socks, getting new shoes (they have over 400 miles now), etc. I am not, however, stopping running. IMKY is August 29th. My feet are just going to have to deal with it until after the Ironman. I can deal with a little lot of pain...

Anyone trained through PF? Any advice/recommendations that may help?

2010-06-16 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2926957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: PF
I have battled PF for a while and tried the things you mentioned...they seemed to help a bit.  I had a guy at a running store mention a couple exercises that I think actually helped also.  One was to take a towel and lay it flat and with my foot on top of the towel I reach forward with my toes and then "scrunch" the towel towards my heel.  Scrunch, reach forward with toes, scrunch and repeat.  Probably a popular PF exercise (in case I am not describing it correctly).  Just builds arch strength a little.  The second exercise is to take a handful of marbles and lay on the towel or floor.  Grab a single marble with your toes and put it in a cup that you have sitting there closeby.  Repeat.

Hope it helps... =)

Brian
2010-06-17 6:03 AM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

I run through all injuries. Currently running my way out of ITBS. My understanding is that PF is an injury you can run through but use caution. Typically when I run through injuries it means dialing back speed, changing the terrain (i.e no hills) and cutting mileage.

After a run roll your arch on a frozen water bottle. Before a run roll the bottom of your foot on a golf ball. Acutally do this throughout the day.

Just to say I am not a doctor or an expert at all but this is what I would do in your situation.

Edited by NatNegativeSplit 2010-06-17 6:04 AM
2010-06-17 6:49 AM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Ronnie,

I have battled with PF on & off over the years. I do the golf ball trick at work during the day and I also had a lot of success with the Strausberg sock which you can get at Big Peach or other places. I really crank it down during the evening before bed & then just wear it lightly strapped down while I sleep. I usually wake up in the middle of the night & take it off but it really stretches the arch out or atleast doesn't allow it to contract all up during the night.

Good luck with it.

2010-06-17 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2927241

User image

Master
I'm having a flare-up of the PF right now also.  It sucks.  I'm doing all of the things you mentioned plus massaging my feet a lot.   For some reason, massaging the ankle area and the bottom of the foot seem to help - even before getting out of bed.

When I was doing physical therapy at Resurgens last year, they had me do both of the exercises Brian mentions and I think they were helpful.  I also walk around barefoot whenever possible to allow my calves to stretch normally instead of tensing up when I'm wearing heels.

I forgot to add that Doug has dialed back my running volume and I take extra care to warm up before attempting any speed on my runs.

Edited by Mrs. brown_dog_us 2010-06-17 6:58 AM
2010-06-17 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
I do a couple of additional exercises that I think also help. First I "draw" the alphabet with my foot. Then I rotate the foot in a circle back and forth with my toes pointed so that my heel is stretched. I also ran thru my flare-up last year, but I dialed back the volume, put off-the-shelf orthodics in my shoes and switched to run on soft surfaces only. Trail running is your friend, learn to love him.

Agree with bmadd about the sock device. I always woke up in the middle of the night and ripped that thing off. It's very hard to sleep in. That being said, it probably helped a little, but not as much as the strengthening exercises over time.

Edited by cindi 2010-06-17 8:10 AM

2010-06-17 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tri-dood-Send me a PM with your address. I have a Strasburg Sock that I bought new last year but have only used a couple of times. It is size Large ...for calves 16" and smaller ...mine are 17" but it fit fine. Don't worry about any cost- I'll be happy if it helps someone else-Brian
2010-06-17 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Do everything everyone says but i found what helps a lot is to have shoes/flipflops by the bed for when you get up helps with the pain. I wear crocs around all the time they make a special pf shoe try it.
I would have to say about the training is to get super strong on the bike this way the run isn't as hard. I just couldn't do it last summer the constant pain everytime I stood just made me rest them.
John.
2010-06-17 8:09 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Studies also show that physical therapy combined with typical podiatrist treatment can cut PF recovery time in half.

(I've never had, just referring to an article I read a while back...that can't find anymore to post)

2010-06-18 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia
When you get ready and have time to deal with the PF, give Dr. Hamid Sadri a call at First Choice Healthcare.  He is great and I believe that he has worked with others on their PF problems.

http://www.1stchoiceonline.com/index.php?catID=1&pageID=8740

http://thesportfactory.com/site/coaches/drsadri.shtml

Good luck.
2010-06-19 4:58 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Has anyone gotten rid of PF?

2010-06-19 6:17 AM
in reply to: #2931436

User image

Elite
SE
not I, but I am managing it somewhat by running less often, putting the voltaren gel on it, avoiding hills, not rolling or stretching it (AMA from my PT), and icing after runs. Its really hurt my speed since it struck. However, I am not completely sure its PF. It could be PF Changs or "an injury to the belly of the plantar fascia".

I really think the rolling, stretching, massaging, funky boot I bought, etc all were making it worse.
2010-06-19 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
I'm going to go find some wood to knock on.as I type this, but I have been pain-free for 6 months now. During that time I have run 2 halfs. I really think it's due to the strengthing exercises I continue to do. But I don't really think there's a cure. It could still come back I'd I'm not careful.
2010-06-20 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

I believe that I suffered from PF for the first 2 years I ran. I never took time off or did anything for it since I was a new runner and just thought it was part and parcel with running. I waited tables for the first year and then second year I wore high heels and was on feet all day at work in addition to running 30mpw so I am sure that is to blame . The bottom of my feet would be so sore in the morning that walking was very painful and I would hobble around walking on the outside of my feet. But it would go away after walking around all day and I could run at night pain free. My PF resolved--and so far hasn't come back--since my 4th year of running. I did have to take off several months in my 3rd year of running because I was pregnant so maybe the rest is what really got rid of it but it did not return when I resumed running.

2010-06-20 8:51 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Thanks for all the good info, ppl! And thanx to MultisportMinistries for the Strassburg Sock! I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I can tell a significant difference just in the past few days of icing, target specific exercises, ibuprofen, etc. I'm sure I'll be fighting this until after IMKY, though, and am prepared for it. I'm glad the run is fairly flat, as I do notice it most when I'm running on hills.

I read in several places that one of the worst things you can do is get out of bed and just ignore the pain. You should massage/warm up the feet, even for a few mins, before you step down. When you step with "cold" feet, it is the largest cause of damage to the plantar fibers.

I am also suprised at how weak my ankles are...I was doing some of the exercises (circles, alphabet, etc) and it was tough. I don't know why it surprises me so much, but I guess that even if you're a great runner (many elite marathoners suffer from PF), you can have weak muscles in your legs/hips/glutes.
2010-06-23 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
15months into my pf (both feet) adventure. My pain was so severe for the first several months I could barely get around the house, I crawled on the floor more than once. My pf not only had the burning pain in front of the heel but also the sensation of nails being driven through the heel bone, this would drop me to floor instantly, there was no 'running through' this type of pain,simply the worst pain I have ever experienced . I had 3 stress fractures in the forefoot that I didn't even care about they were nothing compared to the heel pain. Don't run through pain, you need to control this now, and keep the inflammation down, this is a slow healing injury, don't let it get severe like I did, get in the pool. Have you seen a pod or ortho?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » PF Rss Feed