General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and I am a mom going to try for first Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-27 11:26 PM

Subject: New and I am a mom going to try for first Ironman
I have decided that I want to do an Ironman.....I am planning on next years Ironman CDA since I live there. I did have some questions though about the training. For those who are moms with young kids, did you spend a lot of time away from family? What were the hours you spent away from your family?

2010-06-28 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2947354

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
Subject: RE: New and I am a mom going to try for first Ironman
How old are your kids? Do you have 100% support from your hubbie? I am lucky as I have some built in babysitters and my husband is very supportive. My kids are 5,9,11,14 & 17 years old. Still, it is really tough to be away from the kids as much as is needed to train for ironman. Here are a couple of things that I found worked for me.

1. Make at least one of my swim workouts at the pool with my kids. They play in the kiddie pool and I do laps.
2. Open water swims can be combined with picnic outings with the family.
3. Get a good trainer. I have an old Computrainer that I rode when I couldn't get out because of the kids.
4. Find a dependable teenager. Set some regular appointments with a sitter to get some workouts in.
5. Work out early and work out late when kids are sleeping.
6. Schedule some "no workout times" to spend with family. These are times that are non-negotiable. If you didn't get what you needed in earlier, you can't make it up here. This is mom/kid time.
6. Weekly planning sessions with your significant other. This is an absolute must.

The biggest thing about training with kids is that nothing goes as planned. Someone is sick. Someone has a last minute project. Someone is not sleeping like they are supposed to. The key is that you have to have a support system and lots of back up plans for how you can get done what you need to get done.
2010-06-28 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2948554

Thank you for the advice and support! I do have a supportive husband. He is going to be training too! Our girls are 2 and 8 months! You probably gonna think I am crazy now lol I am planning on getting a bike trailer and a jogging stroller so I can take them with for most workouts.
2010-06-28 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Whispering Pines, NC
Congratulations on your IM adventure!!  I have 2 kids, 8 and 11 and they are still at the age I can't leave them home alone.  I actually have the book "fly lady"..lmao...and used that to get my house completely organized.  This way the house, laundry and meals are all taken care of...that being done, I can focus the rest of my time on just my family and training.  Nothing worse than training your butt off then coming home and having to do the laundry...the family would NEVER see me.  I have to at least get up early and get my first workout in then I can have breakfast with the kids and they never even know I was gone.  I then follow the same kind of routine as mentioned above.  We're moms....we know how to juggle...Kiss  We're here for you!
Good luck,
Laurie
2010-06-29 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
From a fellow Canadian, welcome ot BT!  You have come to the right place for good advise, there are alot of very knolwedgable people on here to help you out... Good luck!!

2010-06-29 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Hi,
I have  three kids, ages 4, 2, and 10 months. I just started and am training for a few sprints, an olympic, and a half marathon this year. The advice given so far has been great.
Good luck with your training and welcome to BT!

2010-07-05 12:04 PM

User image

@ stephaniebaldwin, me and a friend just signed up for IMCdA, this will be our 1st IM.  Have you decided which training plan/program you are going with?

All, any recommendations on which program to go with: Gold, Siver or Bronze?

Thanks...
2010-07-06 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York
Hi Stephanie, I'm a mom of a homeschooled 6-year-old so I am with him pretty much all the time.

I'm doing Ironman Lake Placid in 3 weeks and have been training for the past year. About the only time I spent away from my family was some of the swim workouts, and the long runs/bike workouts on the weekend. We have a treadmill (I have asthma so often can't run outside due to pollution/weather) so many of my runs were indoors while I hung out with my son.

Great suggestions already from other folks!  Here are some more:

Run with a baby jogger while your 8-year-old bikes next to you.

Get a treadmill and run while your kids play in the house; put on a movie they like if you want them in the same room with you for supervision.

We got a trampoline and my son loved to bounce next to me while I biked on the trainer or ran on the treadmill.

Try and find a pool that has "family swim" and lanes set up at the same time. Your spouse and kids can play while you do laps.

Start your long workouts REALLY early so you're home by 10 or 11 am, most likely the family will hardly miss you and they will enjoy the time with your husband.

Most important, make sure your husband is totally supportive of your dream and is willing to put in time watching the kids or doing some household work, because when the training gets heavy, there will NOT be any vacuuming done by you and someone will need to hang with the kids while you do 7-8 hour workouts!

Have fun and welcome to Ironman. It is an amazing thing to do!

2010-07-06 10:04 AM

User image

, Arizona
Congrats and welcome! I'm curious, have you done any other triathlon distances or will this be your first?
2010-07-06 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Good luck!  My boys are 3 1/2 and 2 and I can't consider any of the longer distance tris yet.  I am doing a marathon in November and still can't figure out all my runs right now.  Both my husband and I work full time and I value all of my free time with my boys.  I would eventually like to do a HIM but I know I personally need to wait until my kids are older.  I do have a treadmill and do a decent amount of running on it.  With that said, I can only run when my 3 year old is with me.  I just can't do it with the 2 year old running around the room!  I do have a good jogger and take him on runs though. 
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and I am a mom going to try for first Ironman Rss Feed