General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I training enough? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-15 1:27 PM

User image

Chicago
Subject: Am I training enough?

I signed up with a coached training group and have been following their schedule to the “T.”  Since training with the group I feel like the program is geared towards compLete not COMPETE.  Which is fine, but personally I’m trying to do my Oly (on August 29th) in less than 3 hours.
I talked to the coaches and they disagreed.  I feel like ‘who am I to critique considering I’m brand new to the sport,’ so I thought I would ask for a second opinion!...

Link to schedule:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsecUtryj4bcdE1yMWFaUDhpU196MVg1R0lfVGtmRHc&hl=en&authkey=CIzg940J
Or you can look at my [partial] log.  But basically the week is composed of one ‘endurance’ workout and one ‘interval’ workout per discipline.  I also add in 2-3 one hour weight lifting sessions per week.

TIA for any help!

2010-07-15 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2983284

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Am I training enough?
Are your logs accurate?  Meaning, did you just start riding in June?  If so, I think you are light on the bike for sure.

My goal for my first Oly in 3 weeks is 2:40 and I am concerned how I will do coming of the bike. 

Good luck!
2010-07-15 2:15 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
Looks like you are training 7 or so hours a week.  That is certainly sufficeint to finish an oly under 3 hrs - assuming a relatively flat course and given you strong swim.  More will obviously help you go faster.  But 7 quality hours is better 10 hours of junk. 
2010-07-15 2:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
It looks a little light to accomplish a sub 3 hr Oly for a newbie and if you are new to training for endurance sports (for whom you suggest this program is tailored towards)  you are probably better off ditching the intervals and working on frequency. Interval training for new athletes is a recipe for injury, so it depends on your bike and run fitness as to whether you should be even doing that stuff.

Edited by blairrob 2010-07-15 2:21 PM
2010-07-15 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
There's not really enough information to know if this training plan is good for you to attain your goal. What kind of background, if any, did you have in any of the sports? Age, weight, medical conditions?

If you were starting from zero base in any of the sports, doing intervals as almost half your training seems a bit questionable. The plan seems very light on volume for everything and doing only two sessions per week in each sport at the volumes indicated doesn't seem like it would build much endurance.

However, if you had a very solid base in everything prior to starting this program, it could work to sharpen your skills and possibly help with speed.

IOW, the plan could be good or bad depending on a number of factors that haven't been divulged.
2010-07-15 2:30 PM

User image

Runner

2010-07-15 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2983483

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Scout7 - 2010-07-15 12:30 PM No.

Best answer ever...  Cuz it's true.
2010-07-15 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco
2010-07-15 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
I'm interested to hear the answers too since I start a training group on Sat and am worried about the same thing.  I don't want to have a big drop in volume from what I am doing now. 

Looking at the schedule the workouts don't look bad but there are only 2-3 workouts in the 2hr range.  Seems light endurance wise for someone who is looking at a 3hr race. But then again, I'm new at this. 

I know for running getting some runs in at a slower pace that replicate the time you expect to be on your feet during the race is usually included in 1/2 and full plans.  Maybe it's just me but knowing that I have done something (b/r, s/b/r, whatever combo) for close to the duration of the event really helps my confidence even if it is at a much lower intensity. 
2010-07-15 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Pa
You are a great swimmer, so no problem there! (snuck a peak at your logs). Seems like you have some decent running talent too... One the bike, you may be great, but won't know until maybe you switch some things around... I am not a coach, so i would run this by some other people, but I would double you bike mileage. I don't even think of bike intervals until I have at least 500 or 600 miles in. Do some long, leisurely bikes (maybe one 30-40 miler a week), and you will be in good shape. My bike weeks for Olys are pretty simple: One long, one 12-14 mile ride at way faster than oly pace, and one race distance ride. Later in the season I will start throwing intervals in, but do them as part of a normal ride (like a fartlek). Now that you wasted 5 minutes reading this, I would look at more experienced guys, but I think that in 7-10 hours you can totally do good at an oly...
2010-07-15 2:41 PM

User image

Chicago

Ya, when I signed up for the program it said beginner, intermediate and advanced individuals and the programs would be tailored respectively.  Little did I know that means 40minute run; 50 minute run; 60 minute run. 

Anyways, I guess I should explain my background? 

For the year before starting this plan in June I was doing an hour on the bike once a week, swimming at least 45 minutes once a week, running at least five miles three sessions a week, and three personal training weight lifting sessions per week. 
- I was a competitive short distance swimmer for 14 years.  I’m used to 2hr 2x/day 5x/week workouts.  Haven’t done that in about six years, but still, maybe this is why I feel like I should be swimming T30s at minimum twice a week.  I typically average 1:40min/100m swimming (distance OW or pool). 
- I was a short distance runner through school (including college).  I took off running from 05-08 b/c of an ankle injury but ran my first half-Mary last September (poopy 2:10). 
- I picked up cycling in December and my rides average 17mph through 25miles (haven’t done more than this). 

My biggest concern is can I thread all three events together and not crap out… let alone finish in under 3 hours? 
A lot of these says L2 workouts, but I just kind of push it to L3...  I also do all the optional workouts. 

So, I guess the answer is my concerns are valid and ramp up the training... should I maybe switch to one of the free plans on here with two endurance workouts per discipline a week since I’m weight lifting?  Interval workouts are easy enough to add in at any time for me so maybe interval in one and then endurance in another? 

Edited by SHLD2005 2010-07-15 3:00 PM

2010-07-15 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Let me say this, speed and endurance comes with time. I have been in this sport for 5 years and I get faster each year.

It is nice to have a goal as it will motivate you.

Really, if you are worried that their plan is not for you or will help you, get a coach. You can get one for $75 to $100 a month with unlimited contact. I know of a guy in Houston (virtual coaching works) I can direct you to.

2010-07-15 3:05 PM

Master
Houston, TX
The plan itself, looks very similar to the one I am on right now.  I'm training for an Olympic distance in September.   Your training times look like you'll be right at the 3 hr mark (over with your transitions), but since you'll be racing I 'd say you're likely to beat your training times.  As long as you don't burn your matches too fast.

the only thing that I would be concerned about is that your training distances aren't passing your race distances yet.  not a problem if you were just looking to finish but sub 3 hr, eh, may be a problem area when putting them all back to back.  I'm just getting to where I'm training more distance than my race and mine is in September.  I did a 1000m/18mi/5mi last month in 2:15.  That translates to a 2:55 Olympic at the same pace.  Just for some perspective.  I don't follow my plan to a T though either.

Edited by jgaither 2010-07-15 3:18 PM
2010-07-15 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Stephanie,

Last year was my first at this sport and I'm a random trainer, don't follow a plan etc.  But in my last two tri's last season I was FOP, sprint distance.  I made sure my workout distances were more than race distances.  I like swimming so I routinely would swim 3,500 yds average per workout.  That's definitely not needed for a sprint distance but that's what I did anyhow.

When on the bike I ride 20 miles or more even though sprint distances on the bike average about 12 miles.  I usually run 6-7 miles, and occasionally I'll run 3 miles.  What helps to run faster is to do intervals so I'll do intervals (quarter and half mile sets adding up to 4-5 miles with some slower active recovery in there.

As someone mentioned it before in this thread you need to do distances far above race distance, especially on the bike.

Additionally it comes down to quality of workout.

I would drop the weight training all together from now until race day.  If you want to go sub 3, swim, bike and run.

In essence the race is 2.5 to 3.0 hours or cardio.  So how long of a cardio workout is your body currently capable of?

I'm not a coach, just a guy that picked up this bug and ran with it (or should I say Swam, Bikes and Ran with it...).  I have heard some say, train like you race, so do you feel like that when you're training?

Honestly I think some adrenaline will kick in on race day you'll hit your mark but I think your distances should go up a notch or two.
2010-07-15 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
If you feel you could do more I would add a little to the endurance part of all three. You would not risk injury and just be more fit. 
2010-07-15 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2983512

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
SHLD2005 - 2010-07-15 1:41 PM

Ya, when I signed up for the program it said beginner, intermediate and advanced individuals and the programs would be tailored respectively.  Little did I know that means 40minute run; 50 minute run; 60 minute run. 

Anyways, I guess I should explain my background? 

For the year before starting this plan in June I was doing an hour on the bike once a week, swimming at least 45 minutes once a week, running at least five miles three sessions a week, and three personal training weight lifting sessions per week. 
- I was a competitive short distance swimmer for 14 years.  I’m used to 2hr 2x/day 5x/week workouts.  Haven’t done that in about six years, but still, maybe this is why I feel like I should be swimming T30s at minimum twice a week.  I typically average 1:40min/100m swimming (distance OW or pool). 
- I was a short distance runner through school (including college).  I took off running from 05-08 b/c of an ankle injury but ran my first half-Mary last September (poopy 2:10). 
- I picked up cycling in December and my rides average 17mph through 25miles (haven’t done more than this). 

My biggest concern is can I thread all three events together and not crap out… let alone finish in under 3 hours? 
A lot of these says L2 workouts, but I just kind of push it to L3...  I also do all the optional workouts. 

So, I guess the answer is my concerns are valid and ramp up the training... should I maybe switch to one of the free plans on here with two endurance workouts per discipline a week since I’m weight lifting?  Interval workouts are easy enough to add in at any time for me so maybe interval in one and then endurance in another? 

OK, based on that it seems like the swim should go well.

To break 3 hours you need
Swim - 30:00 - 2:00/100 meters
T1 - 2:30
Bike - 1:25:00 - 17.5 mph
T2 - 2:25
Run - 60:00 - 9:39 per mile

More than likely you will swim faster than that, so that will give you more time in the other areas.

A big concern is they only have you doing one ride longer than what you need in the race, and no workouts totaling the time you may be out there for the bike and run. If I were you I would stick with the program, but add a couple runs in the 3-5 mile range at an easy pace every week, plus a couple rides of 15-30 miles each week done at a mostly easy pace with a few harder efforts during the rides. The goal of these additional workouts would be to help build endurance.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I training enough? Rss Feed