United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 15s
Overall Rank = 4/92
Age Group = W20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am in Breckenridge after a night out with friends to celebrate an engagement. Ate half a bagel and cream cheese before loading up the car and starting the hour drive over to Leadville. I stopped off for some much needed coffee and a banana along the way. Got to the race at 6:25am for check-in.
Event warmup:

After checking in, I headed over to the Transition area and claimed a rack spot on the end near the transistion exit since there were no assigned racks. I chatted with a bunch of people and put on my compression socks for my warm-up jog. Right as I was grabbing my goggles and checking my set-up one last time, a guy came up with his nice tri bike and totally hijacked my amazing set-up by leaning his bike against the end of the rack. It wasn't a huge deal, but I felt it was a bit unfair as I showed up early to get that spot and then he shows up 15 minutes before the start and makes it just a tad more tricky to get to my stuff.
Swim
  • 08m 2s
  • 525 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in a lane with two other gals, one doing her first Tri (at 10,200 ft!!). We chatted for awhile while waiting our turn for a few minutes, then picked an order. I started out first and took it at a medium pace as I was afraid the altitude would catch up to me quickly. After 250, I picked up just a bit, and was breathing every time, but still feeling alright.
What would you do differently?:

Put in a faster swim time, even though I was only 2 seconds off my 500 entry time, I had been accounting for the extra lap and the run to transition. Had no problems passing people in my lane at all, but it would have been nice to have been seeded with some people right at my speed.
Transition 1
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Had a fast transition, still haven't master the shoes on bike start, so put shoes on in transistion and fastened them once on the bike.

Practice starting with the shoes in the pedals to start.
Bike
  • 39m 15s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.00 mile/hr
Comments:

The fact that I did a long ride with hills the day before definitely started to factor in here. I knew that with how bad my legs felt, my run would be bad no matter what I did on the bike. So I tried to go hard the entire way. The hills seemed awful (supposedly they had to do a last minute change to the course the morning of, adding hills to the course) but this could have been because of the day before rather than the actual steepness of the hills. The downhills were fun, and I definitely took the corners as fast as I felt comfortable with. The last section of the bike is an uphill straightaway to the transition and is definitely a pyschological test. The road was rough in spots, but the bad spots were marked.

Not bike hills the day before. :) Nothing else, fun course.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Got my feet out of my shoes, but got flustered by having to ride over a rough section on the turn into T2 as I had to go a few feet past the turn to get around a car going the other way. Accidently turned the pedals before getting my left foot on top of the shoe and jammed the shoe into the ground, luckily only a couple yards from the dismount line. Otherwise a good transition.

Not much, maybe loosen my yankz a bit so the shoes go on faster.
Run
  • 29m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this was a difficult course as I ran it last year on a relay team. The roads/trails are pretty even and the views offered here are spectacular (views of Elbert and Massive, two of the highest peaks in Colorado). I took it easy on the first half to save the legs as much as possible for the uphill. I had gas in the tank energy wise at a half mile out, but my legs weren't having any of it. Just pushed through it and really wished I could have sucked up more pain in my quads.

Not bike hills the day before. Again. Pushed a bit harder on the downhill to make up for the slow uphill pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank water and put on compression socks. (I love my compression socks, and they're only 10 bucks!!) Stretched out my legs a bunch and enjoyed the post race snacks, watermelon, bananas, and fig newtons. Yum!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My limiting factor: 3 hours of sleep and a super hilly long ride the day before. Learned that lesson very well. Will not do that again.

Event comments:

This is a great race in a gorgeous location. Absolutely will be back again in the future. Plenty of volunteers, a good lunch following it and some fun raffle prizes. And it's closer to where I live than all the Front Range races, always nice. (Side note, overall rankings just from women, not entire field, can't find true overall rankings in results)

Last updated: 2010-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:02 | 525 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 3/92
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: This was a pool swim. 3 swimmers per lane, dictated by entered swim time.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:15 | 12.43 miles | 19.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 5/92
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: The course was an out and back with a few turns and some good size hills to Turquoise Lake and back.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:13 | 03.11 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 8/92
Performance: Below average
Course: A big loop. Downhill first half, uphill the second. Almost entirely on dirt roads or trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-19 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Subject: Tri-it-High

2010-07-19 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2989720

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Tri-it-High
Great Job Christina, you are an absolute ROCK STAR. Dominating the competition.

Keep up the great work! I think we were team Insomniac this weekend!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-it-High Rss Feed