Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Advice on how to quit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-13 9:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, CO
Subject: Advice on how to quit?
No, not quit tri. I have a part time job to supplement my income (still in poor college student mode), and it's REALLY cutting into my training time. I would be okay with just cutting down hours.....

What's the best way to approach my boss about this? I know that cutting back hours basically won't work for the company. So should I just tell him that if we can't cut out one shift, I'm giving my two weeks notice? I suck at letting people down.....

But darnit, I want more training time, and 55 hour work weeks are not okay!

2005-07-13 10:22 PM
in reply to: #197694

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Advice on how to quit?
Do you have the part time job for the benefit of you or your boss? Let your boss know your situation, that you'd like to stay on at one shift a week, but more than that is too much. If they can't do that, then you give two weeks notice and move on.
2005-07-14 10:46 AM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

You definitely want to reshift your attitude towards work or you'll have a long hard work life ahead of you. You are in the position of power here. You are young, single, no kids (I got that impression, sorry if I misread. But that wouldn't change the bottom line, it just might take a little more effort on your part to make it happen).  Working is voluntary, it is not indentured servitude. While you still have the chance, change your priorities from work, to life. Don't get caught up in the rat race, your attachment to accumulating more and more and better STUFF and purposly shackle yourself to work and spend the rest of your life feeling "stuck".  Life is comprised of the choices we make. You have time to make choices that will put you in a position to be happy!  If you want to cut back your hours, just tell them that's what you want or you are leaving. It really is as simple as that.  I don't mean to do it in a threatening or rude way, I mean, just say, this is what I need, if they say no you say "well, I'm sorry about that because I like working here, but if we can't agree to this compromise, then this is my official two week notice". See, simple. You need to have the strength of your convictions on this one, and you're much more likely to get what you want if they know you are serious. If you are all nervous and apologizing and waffling, as if you think you're doing something wrong (which you are NOT) - they will see that and capitilize on it and the next thing you know, you've made the choice for nothing to change.  

Repeat after me.....life first, work second.  You can do this. Best of luck to you!

2005-07-14 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, CO
Life first, work second. Life first, work second. And you got it right, I'm young, single, no kids. Time to get out there and enjoy life, rather than working straight through it.

Think I got it..... Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!
2005-07-14 12:04 PM
in reply to: #198136

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
YOU GO, GIRL!!!
2005-07-14 6:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
55 hr work weeks???????????? IMO, that's FULL time... if you're working that much, you should be getting full time benefits... not getting screwed by "part time" status....

2005-07-14 7:56 PM

User image

Kitchener, Ontario
I always remember advice mys sister gave me whenever I need a "personal" day off from work and feel guilty about it:

I work to live NOT live to work.

Good Luck.
2005-07-17 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
My husband just went theru this. He left the military a year ago and took a position in the production field, which if anyone knows this field it's long hard hours. He was working 110+ hours a week with his travel time included - these hours after they moved him to a plant 2 hours away and put him on night shift plus the plant worked 13 days straight... Well, I couldn't do the time and neither could our children, so I laid the law down after 3 weeks and told him he had to find another job period end fo discussion. After 3 weeks of looking and interviewing he found another job - we took a bit of a pay deduction but I now for the first time in our marriage have a husband who works normal hours - 8-5 and no weekends. He hated to give notice - dreaded it, felt like he was betraying them or something - because this was after all his first "civialian" job - but with my encouragement he did it and he is soooo happy he did. He says now he loves his job and he used to think he would dread waking each day and going to his old job. he now has time for working out - something he totally neglected for a year and is in the process of getting back in shape and feels good about the change.

You don't owe you company anything, and if they want you to stick around they'll work with you. This being your first job out of college you may feel loyalty to the company but I once read somewhere that this generation will change jobs 5-7+ times before they find a company that they will retire with... a huge change from previous generations when the first job they got was their last. Look at it as practice for future moving up the ladder to a better and more rewarding positon.

Happy training.

Cathleen

Edited by houston-tri-mamma 2005-07-17 8:40 AM
2005-07-17 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
I work as a machine shop supervisor. I want the poeple whho work for me to be straight forward and honest. I have a guy who has graduated with his masters and it looking for a new job. All I ask of him is to keep me informed.

Secondly. 55 hours a week is not part time. It is way over full time. I work 50 a week - no weekends. I could run the shop on Saturday but I have told the management that I feel we need the weekend to recoup after the hard week. We are one of the most productive shops the company has. If you are not getting benefits you are being ripped off. It sounds like it is time to move on period. just my opinion.
2005-07-17 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
I can understand feeling like you're letting the company down or being disloyal by renegotiating your schedule or quitting, but think of it this way: if you weren't working out for them, do you really think they'd think twice about changing your schedule or firing you outright? It's nothing personal, just business.

Mike
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Advice on how to quit? Rss Feed