General Discussion Triathlon Talk » knee pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-27 6:45 AM

User image

Regular
Marietta, GA
Subject: knee pain
Here is my quandary. I am less than 5 weeks out from my IM; training has been going fine with no major issues until late last week. During my long run last week (2h50m scheduled), I had to cut it short at 2h30m due to pain in my left knee. I do my running on 1/4 mile jogging track and I am always turning to my left.

This morning I was running on the track again and my left knee really started hurting...so I walked for a minute or two and then started running in the opposite direction so I was turning to my right. My left knee pain was reduced to a mild twinge and I finished my run.

Common sense says just run in the opposite direction for the remainder of my training, but my question to the group is, is there cause for actual concern on this knee pain or is it just an over use issue due to the peak period in my training?

I have been hitting my training goals to date with a couple of century rides and my long runs are in the 15 to 18 mile range so at this point, I am not that worried about not finishing the race, but I want to complete my peak period training to be as ready as possible, but I don't want to aggravate an injury and not be able to start/finish the race.

What to do? 

2010-07-27 6:58 AM
in reply to: #3006609

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: knee pain
"What to do" is an easy answer: go see a qualified PT (one who understands marathons and/or IM training) and get professional advice.

You've invested to much time, money, and effort to not take that step.

I'm a fan of ART style therapy; PTs using ART have fixed a number of issues I've experienced.

http://www.activerelease.com/

Next, you have to get off that track! Find some multi-use trails or neighborhood runs that are similar to the hills & flats you'll encounter during your race.

My guess is that you are developing an problem with your IT band in your left leg; this is common to oval track runners as well as runners who use highly crowned roads. Your constant left turns are causing an effective leg length difference, same as if the road was crowned.

Learn some IT band stretches, get off the track, and you'll be fine. But I still recommend a PT visit.

Edited by brucemorgan 2010-07-27 7:05 AM
2010-07-27 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Ditto on get off the track.
Also, are you approaching 300 miles on your shoes? I start getting knee pain when my shoes wear down.
2010-07-27 8:56 AM

User image

Get new shoes on your way home from your Dr's appointment. Then don't run on the track for the rest of your time. Run on the roads.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » knee pain Rss Feed