General Discussion Triathlon Talk » finding a training plan that fits - warning long and boring Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-28 8:12 AM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: finding a training plan that fits - warning long and boring
So I'm in my second year of racing triathlons and I'm struggling to find a plan that works for me. Maybe I've been doing whatever I want for way too long. I've been running, biking and swimming for years (like 10 + years for swimming, 18 for bike and run) without ever putting it all together into a triathlon. All those years of exercies were purely for fitness and stress relief. I didn't really race in any of the 3 sports and I didn't do any sports in high school or college. So now try to imagine that - YEARS of walking out the door with nothing recording your pace per mile. Just working out because it feels good until you get to the point of injury and have to quit. Never a scheduled recovery week, never thought about taking a gel or having a recovery drink.  

This spring I bought a huge book full of triathlon plans and was determined to follow a plan with the goal being to stay injury free. I searched through the book but can't really find a plan that seems to be a good fit. I'm a strong swimmer so the swims on most seem way too short or if I go to the more advanced plans the bike and run are more than I'm comfortable with. I get injured easily running (lots of foot problems) so most weeks I am only running 2 days. I like to try to run 3 days but usually it only lasts for about 3 weeks before something gets aggrevated.

I am learning a lot from the plans as far as recovery weeks (never did that before) and how to structure the workouts (speedwork, easy rides etc) but I'm still not following a day to day training plan. Is there another resource I should be looking into? I like the sport and everything but for me this is all just a hobby for fun and fitness. I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money paying a private coach or anything. I just want to have fun and not be injured all the time!

2010-07-28 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3009260

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: finding a training plan that fits - warning long and boring
Gale Bernhardt's plans are usually long on swimming and shorter on biking and running. Her book of Training Plans for MultiSport Athletes can be found at the library if you want to glance at it before purchasing.

Or you could just do something like add 10% to the swim workouts, and subtract 10% from the bikes and runs. Then gradually decrease the % you take off as the weeks go on.
2010-07-28 8:24 AM

Regular
Garner NC
Feel free to cut and paste parts of any plan that work for you. I'm a stronger biker, so in the plans that fit my running and swimming fitness the bike workouts are usually not enough. I take the bike workouts from a higher-level plan and use those with the lower-level swim and run workouts.

With as much experience as you've got with the 3 disciplines, you know what your body can take and what's too much. If you can find a plan that is 50-75% of what you need, start with it and customize the rest to suit your abilities and available training time. You could very easily replace higher-level run workouts with lower intensity ones that keep you healthy.

As far as generating a training plan is concerned, that's all a coach is going to do anyway.

Dave

2010-07-28 9:48 AM

User image

Bronze member
Thanks! Good advice. I think I was looking at it kind of all or nothing or if I don't do exactly what the plan says then I'm doing it wrong. I have really learned a lot just reading info on BT! While I'm not new to the grind of daily workouts "triathlon training" is proving to be a whole new adventure
2010-07-28 12:30 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
No plan is perfect for everyone.  IMO, if you don't modify it a little to suit your needs, then you're selling yourself short.

Think of a plan as a rough set of directions on how to get to your destination, not as turn-by-turn directions that must be followed exactly or you will get lost.
2010-07-28 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Watch the homepage over the next week for an announcement.

We're about to unveil a new feature that I believe is exactly what you're looking for.

2010-07-28 6:28 PM

User image

Bronze member
Oooo, sounds exciting! Can't wait.......
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » finding a training plan that fits - warning long and boring Rss Feed