Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 37s
Overall Rank = 19/70
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

up at 5:00, stretch, full breakfast, shower and head over to the pool
Event warmup:

the event has a TT swim start, so I didn't start till 8:15. warmed up the bike a little at about 6:45 before the race started. At about 15 minutes before my entry I swam ~200 yards in the other pool. Then stood around and talked with the other athletes who started before and after me.
Swim
  • 08m 56s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ranking is out of 70 men.

swam well. did not catch the former swim coach in front of me. she caught and passed the guy in front of her. I caught him on the last lap, so I just hung back in his wake - drafting and saving energy on the last 25 yards.
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps train more speed? Join Masters? - Good swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

14 of 70. Pretty good transition. I need to put my glasses on before helmet. lost maybe one second. After crossing the timing mat, I missed the clip in on the first try. Probably lost a few seconds.

glasses before helmet.
Bike
  • 41m 1s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Good race pace. Started out maybe just a little harder than I wanted, but I did hold it in close to what was right.

The new bike fit is great and I stayed in Aero most of the way, just jumping to feet to crest the little hills (practicing)

Here's what I learned: The few tenths of seconds I saved by trying to stay aero around the big turn, I probably lost rolling around in the grass and dirt beside the road. There was a rock in my path around the turn, rather than pullin the turn sharper I chose to go wide, which sent me into the gravel at the side of the road. Rear tire slipped out, hit the curb and bounced me off into the tall grass and weeds.

I was a bit disoriented and a little dizzy, two vollunteers were there instantly. Took me a couple of tries to get up and be steady. They were quite concerned. I've got just a little road rash on my sholder and a couple on my ankle, probably where it hit the curb. bike seems to be ok. This afternoon, my deltoid is fairly sore, and I've also got a bruse on my right hip.

Come out of aero for bigger/faster turns. I'm much better at manuvering the bike with hands on the handlebars.

Still I'm fairly happy with my pace. I wanted 20 mph, and managed 19.6 even with rolling around in the dirt for a while.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

The RD came over to check on me after the fall. Talked with him for a few seconds.

25th of 70 - just a little slower in T2

Not fall on bike? not drop my riding glove while riding out of T1.

Practice T2, go faster, run faster into and out of T2
Run
  • 28m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

As usual it takes me ~.3 miles to be able to run. Took a gel on the way out of t2. grabbed a drink upon entering the loop part of the course. I was able to pick it up to the tempo pace and felt pretty good about it. Because I was a bit uncertain as to whether I had done two loops or three I didn't really kick it till the last 100 yards or so.

An excellent run, although I probably could have put a little more into it.

Pay more attention to laps. Run more intervals in practice. Kick up the effort earlier.

I'm pleased with my time though. that's the best pace I've seen in a long time, and I know I can do that faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran over to the pool ~ .3 miles to get my run belt with water bottles, qick pit stop and run back to park and two more miles untill the last finisher.

Went over to the awards ceremony, took three advill from David Shaw, then had a sandwich and a couple bottles of water. After awards 48 minutes running back to pool, then over to college and a couple of loops.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crashing / poor steering. lack of speed training. lack of focus on the run.

Event comments:

Lots of folks I know, and a few Ironmen. Mike Greer, 70yo Ironman and race director from Lubbock (BSLT) came down to race and we had a chance to visit. Lot's of first timers -and that adds fun and excitement as well. A real good race. Lots of folks I knew and I get to meet a few new triathletes.

AND I got 1st in AG! My first first.

Last updated: 2010-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:56 | 500 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 19/70
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts and BT tri top
Course: down and back in each lane ducking under the lane marker after each two lengths
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:51
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:01 | 13.67 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 26/70
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back mostly cross wind, but more in the face on the return trip. Pretty sharp turn at turn-around - more than 90 degrees, and junk in the road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:38 | 03.11 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 32/70
Course: over to the park and then three loops. Water and gatoraide available on each loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-31 7:28 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Subject: Tall City Triathlon

2010-08-01 11:43 PM
in reply to: #3016038

User image

New user

Midland
Subject: RE: Tall City Triathlon
Great Race!  Sorry to hear about your crash.  It was my first Triathlon so i am still learning.  i am amazed at how fast everyone can swim, bike, and run.  Good luck at your next event.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tall City Triathlon Rss Feed