General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first olypmic...gulp Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-05 2:08 PM

Subject: My first olypmic...gulp
I took the plunge and registered for the Boulder Sunset, and this time instead of going for the sprint, I chose olympic. I am nervous about the length of the swim. I can swim a mile at open water swim, but that entails stopping for a water break every 400. 750 meters takes me about 20 minutes...will I be the last one out of the water? I imagine the race staff impatiently idling behind me in the boat waiting to collect the buoys. Please tell me I am being ridiculous....

2010-08-05 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3025692

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: My first olypmic...gulp

If you can swim a mile in open water, even with periodic breaks, you should be fine for 750 meters.  Just take it easy and pace yourself.  Also, I can almost guarantee you won't be anywhere near the last one out of the water if you swim it 20 minutes.

Just to clarify though, an olympic distance swim is 1500 meters.

2010-08-05 3:02 PM

Yes, the 1500 meters is what makes me nervous. My rather slow 750 times 2 equals...well...a LONG time in the water. I am doing pretty well at sprint tri, despite my slow pace in the water. I am in the top ten finishers in my age group for the last few races I did. I have been training like a mad woman all summer. I think I am ready. 1500 seems like such a long swim.

How does an olympic feel compared to a sprint? I imagine it would be a bit like the difference between a 10k and a half marathon.

2010-08-05 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I did my first Oly at Loveland this year, which includes a 30 mile bike to boot.  At 2:52, this was the longest endurance event I've done.  But I felt about the same tiredness at the end of this as I did in a sprint as it's relative to the effort you put out.  Swimming is by far my worst discipline and I got through it with a combination of freestyle and breast stroke.  I averaged a bit over 2:00/100 yards and was 504/715. 

Your time of 20:00 over 750 meters (820 yards) will have you in the bottom of the swim (like me!) but I doubt you'd be last.  Plus you have to consider that there will be waves and you will have slower swimmers than you that will also be starting in waves behind you (i.e., they won't catch you). 

So don't worry about it and just have a great experience.  While the Oly distance is about twice that of a sprint, it hardly requires double the training volume.  It does, however, take some effort, more thought about nutrition, and I have more respect for it than I did previously.  And don't forget, we PAY to be in these races.  These race companies do make money out of the majority of these events so don't feel bad in anyway if they have to wait around a bit to pack up buoys

And while finishing my first sprint made me a triathlete, completing my first oly made me feel like a triathlete.  You'll be fine!
2010-08-05 4:52 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
like the others have said, you will be fine with the 1500 swim.  just relax and think of the swim as a workout and not a race.  I agree with ffstock, with the waves it's highly unlikely that you will be the last one out of the water.  I seriously doubt you will be the last one from your wave.  Enjoy your first olympic and give us an update after you finish.
2010-08-05 6:02 PM
in reply to: #3025855

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

kwinkle - 2010-08-05 2:02 PM

How does an olympic feel compared to a sprint? I imagine it would be a bit like the difference between a 10k and a half marathon.

Yes, I would agree that the difference is similar to the difference between a 10k and a half marathon.  With a sprint tri you are going pretty much all out all the way.  With a olympic tri, like with a half marathon, you have to pace it well or you risk blowing up.

Don't panic too much about the swim.  I too was worried about the swim for my first oly.  I told myself to start slow, then slow down even more just to make sure I didn't get carried away with the excitement of the race and start too fast.  The swim turned out great

2010-08-05 7:05 PM

Thanks to all! I feel better already. I am really excited for it...Sept. 11th!
2010-08-05 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
I feel your fear....I'm doing my first Oly this weekend, I'm nervous both of being the last one or of not making the time cutoffs..... Good luck to you, sounds like you will be fine.
2010-08-05 9:19 PM

I wonder if the Boulder Sunset has time cutoffs? These are things I have never thought of...time cutoffs and hydration. I was planning on just using the water stations, but reading other threads it sounds like a lot of people have a Nathan bottle or belt. Is it really necessary? Not that I mind buying more cool gear...
2010-08-05 9:39 PM

User image

New user
Colorado
I'm doing my first Oly this year too - 8/29 in Chicago!  I'm anticipating my swim will be about the same as yours, 40-ish minutes.

As for hydration, I plan to have two bottles for the bike (with Heed) and a bottle or two at transition.  The rest I'll be relying on the course hand outs - I don't like the race belts with containers or the hand held thing, but that's just me.

I'm trying to keep the mindset that this is a my first time at this distance, the only person I'm racing is me, and it's an accomplishment just to finish.

Good luck!!!
2010-08-05 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
kwinkle, not sure but I think that the Boulder Sunset is put on by the same people doing the Creek Streak this weekend. That may mean that they have cut off times also. I looked at doing that one but didn't think I wanted to try the afternoon. I really should be able to make the cut offs but I'm not that fast so there is still that fear, I'm wish for under 3:30 but that may be a dream...everything will have to go pretty good to make it.

2010-08-05 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3026524

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

kwinkle - 2010-08-05 8:19 PM  I was planning on just using the water stations, but reading other threads it sounds like a lot of people have a Nathan bottle or belt. Is it really necessary? Not that I mind buying more cool gear...

Necessary?  No.

Most olys will have a couple of bottle handups on the bike course and at least one water station on the run.  You don't "need" to have anything else.  You of course can and many people do carry other stuff if they don't like what is offered on the course.  I try to use whatever is offered on the course because it is just one less thing to worry about, but you can certainly bring your own if you prefer.  The event website will generally tell you what will be available on the course.

2010-08-05 10:30 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Look at it this way...you're going to set a PR for an Olympic distance triathlon.  Congratulations! Cool
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first olypmic...gulp Rss Feed