Race Day Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 17s
Overall Rank = 4/256
Age Group = m25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Wake up (after actually getting some sleep, unlike Amica) get my breakfast down, which I changed up a bit. I subtracted my normal 2 eggs for an extra serving of oats and a GU on the suggestion of a friend. (More carbs, less protein)

Loaded up my stuff and rode my bike to the race site (it was close to the house.) Warmed up after I got Transition set up and talked to a couple of people... even did some wrenching (on somebody elses bike as neutral support wasn't there for the race)
Event warmup:

Rode the bike through some of the area, then jumped in the pool for a sprint down and back.
Swim
  • 03m 35s
  • 200 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seeded myself at the 3:20 mark... probably did it in that, if not a bit faster, then had to climb out of the pool and get to the mat though. Passed a couple of people, and had one guy in my draft the entire time slapping my feet. I turned up the heat on the last 25m and jumped out. On the radio was "I feel good" and I'm sure a couple people thought I was crazy running down the pavement singing at the top of my lungs.
What would you do differently?:

Get faster of course.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

The exit to T1 was going up a hill, so I opted to put my shoes on in transition. Even counting the run from the pool into t1 this seems like a very long transition for me. Not sure why, don't remember being all that slow.

Good lord... I guess I need to put down the novella I was reading in T1 and get to the bike.
Bike
  • 22m 58s
  • 9 miles
  • 23.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Well... I suppose moving from 50something to 1 on the bike means I had an alright day ;) I crushed quite a few dreams, even had one guy tell me "I hung my head when I heard that *whoosh whoosh whoosh* coming up beside me." Took all the corners pretty hard and fast, and hammered the course. Great day on the bike for me.

Quit being such a wuss on the bike... after my swelled ego in the tri, I was riding home and got absolutely DROPPED by a roadie on his training ride. I had to laugh at how pathetic I still am with the guys that ride hard daily.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Removing my helmet I ejected my sunglasses... which took me a second to go back and collect. Still got to toughen my feet up for running sockless, or suck it up and buy some zoots... rode in with my feet out of my shoes, went well.

Overall, not bad considering my little mishap. And bonus, for once I came out of transition without going the wrong way!
Run
  • 19m 23s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Got out on course and was feeling pretty content with the "Tri Shuffle" run. I paced off a guy that seemed to be hitting it at about my level up to the first aid station where he fell off. I got a drink of water and it seemed like things picked up for me. Passed some people, got to the second aid station and knew I was almost home free. Kept checking my watch... sadly I saw my *Hope* of a 45:xx slip away, but I was pretty happy knowing I was going to sub 50:00. Crossed with a final kick and felt good.

My run is my real weakness at the moment. This winter I plan to work on it though.

Get some more miles in my legs. Can't rush these type of things.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got some (canned - ick) water and talked with the Fam. My mom somehow missed me on the bike return/exit for the run, and had been wondering what happened to me. Talked to some of the guys that smoked me ;) got my stuff, and waited for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just good old fashioned time. In the saddle, in the water, and in my Nike's.

Event comments:

Race Day Events. GREAT Events from these guys, always. Pizza didn't do anything for me (D@mn you Gluten) but the Chik-fil-A fruit plate was excellent. Caffeine free diet coke though? Seriously? C'mon now.

Great event, and one of the biggest sprints in the area.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:35 | 200 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 58/256
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Snake Sprint. Feet first in, 25m then under the ropes and continue.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:22:58 | 09 miles | 23.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 1/256
Wind: None
Course: Actually, it's basically the course I use to train on pretty frequently... home turf advantage and all that.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:23 | 03 miles | 06m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 25/256
Course: I'm thinking the course is shorter than 3 miles... I heard people say as little as 2.6mi. Seems more likely to me, but hey, I'll live under the falsehoods that I ran some 6:xx's. Course was through the park and then around the pond. Very hilly at the beginning but then flattened out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-08 3:37 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Springbrook Sprint Triathlon

2010-08-09 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3030310

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Springbrook Sprint Triathlon
Great race! I was there supporting my wife and watching our baby so I wasn't able to race this year. I looked back at some of your other races from this year and you're definitely getting faster. Keep it up and maybe I'll actually see you out on the course sometime when I get back to racing.

Jason
2010-08-09 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Thanks! This winter I'm going to start putting some more effort into upping my run mileage (as I lose *most* of my time - compared to the other guys up in the top10 - on the run.) to see if I can't get some less skewed splits down. Classes for swim stroke development have helped too... just gotta find more hours in the week

Hope to see you racing next season!
2010-08-09 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3032206

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Nice race Chris, awesome bike and run splits.

2 questions.

Did you put the Gu in the oatmeal?

Canned water?  is that real?
2010-08-10 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3032274

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
dalessit - 2010-08-09 1:25 PM Nice race Chris, awesome bike and run splits.

2 questions.

Did you put the Gu in the oatmeal?

Canned water?  is that real?

You know, IF I had some Apple Cinnamon GU, I  might actually give that a try...

Canned water... it's almost as good as it sounds.
2010-08-10 9:31 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
sick bike and run split...

2010-08-11 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3035971

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
thank you sir, although I think my run was skewed a bit short.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Springbrook Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed