Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-08-12 7:40 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: Revamping the TN Forum
Hear ye, hear ye all the TN peeps...

It is time to get this forum to wake up and register a pulse.  I realized the other day that I personally have nearly 3x as many posts as this entire forum.  I think that is unacceptable.  We need to be talking.  We need to be posting about group rides.  Leading the discussion on the local races.  Pimping our favorite bike shops and tri clubs.  Meeting one another, etc. 

To that end, I want to hear from you.  What do you want from a forum?  What can we do to make this forum more helpful and interactive for you and others?

--Roll Call thread that introduces everyone
--List of key races/century
--Tri clubs
--Places to train

I have always thought the Georgia forum did a really good job chatting about rides, races, etc.  Feel free to stop by over there for additional ideas. 

2010-08-12 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3038924

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Revamping the TN Forum
ADollar79 - 2010-08-12 7:40 AM Hear ye, hear ye all the TN peeps...

It is time to get this forum to wake up and register a pulse.  I realized the other day that I personally have nearly 3x as many posts as this entire forum.  I think that is unacceptable.  We need to be talking.  We need to be posting about group rides.  Leading the discussion on the local races.  Pimping our favorite bike shops and tri clubs.  Meeting one another, etc. 

To that end, I want to hear from you.  What do you want from a forum?  What can we do to make this forum more helpful and interactive for you and others?

--Roll Call thread that introduces everyone
--List of key races/century
--Tri clubs
--Places to train

I have always thought the Georgia forum did a really good job chatting about rides, races, etc.  Feel free to stop by over there for additional ideas. 

Good call out! I know several people that are on BT.com and I know what races they do. Sometimes there are threads about local races and no one has any input. I would like to see more out of this thread also.
2010-08-12 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I'm here in the Knoxville area! I do about all of the RaceDayEvents stuff (this year I'll be missing some due to Rev3...but I digress) And train 7x a week.

As a matter of fact, if anybody in the area ever needs to hook up to a trainer when the weather turns bad, I've got two Trainers (You can't have my angry badger though...) and a set of Kreitlers (along with two big box fans) set up in my "cycling cave"

Always ready for a ride/run/swim in the area any time I can.
2010-08-13 8:23 PM

hello, Im in the hendersonville/gallatin area. I like to go to Laguardo 'beach' to do some short open water swims. If i'm not there, I like to swim in the local lap pool. My boyfriend is usually with me, swimming too. I run in the local neighborhood. ACME multisports in goodlettsville does group rides every saturday morning as long as the weather is nice. If its raining, they do spinning i side. i have yet to participate, brand new to the tri world.
2010-08-14 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3043225

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Hey there. We (ADollar79) and I live in Hendersonville, too. We should get together some time! We swim Masters at Sea Star and ride and run mostly from our neighborhood out into the country north of LHP.
As far as what I would like from the TN forum, it would be great if we worked on training more together and having organized meetings at the races we all go to so we can get to know each other.
Jessica

lillfish - 2010-08-13 8:23 PM hello, Im in the hendersonville/gallatin area. I like to go to Laguardo 'beach' to do some short open water swims. If i'm not there, I like to swim in the local lap pool. My boyfriend is usually with me, swimming too. I run in the local neighborhood. ACME multisports in goodlettsville does group rides every saturday morning as long as the weather is nice. If its raining, they do spinning i side. i have yet to participate, brand new to the tri world.
2010-08-14 5:52 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
I usually post about about upcoming Team-Magic races in the middle TN area and we generally have good feedback/participation on the forum regarding the race.

I've met a couple of BT'ers at the races and would enjoy meeting some other BT'ers.

I swim generally twice a week at the Williamson County Rec Center on Hillsboro/Mack Hatcher, usually around 6AM, and ride Percy Warner once on the bike on the weekends.  I run in my neighborhood.

I enjoy the racing aspect of triathlon and racing the guys in my AG.

2010-08-14 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
I live in Bartlett (one of the suburbs of Memphis). jford and I have raced together some and trained together some. I swim at the Bartlett Rec Center and sometimes at Garner Lake in Lakeland (the main lake in Lakeland). Run mostly from the neighborhood, sometime around Shelby Farms. Ride all over the place. I've done some group rides with RB's Cyclery shop and Bike Plus shop.

I would love to know more about the some of the good races in middle and east TN.
2010-08-19 4:02 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
I agree. More participation would be nice. I enjoyed meeting a couple of BTers this summer when we did an ows at Percy Priest.

It seems as if I pay attention to the other forums so much that I don't check out the Tennessee one enough. Of course, in the past the number of posts has been sporatic.

I think if we all try to post a little more in this forum then we would have a lot more people visiting. I would imagine there are many more Tennesseans on BT who do not visit this forum because they have not seen much activity in the past.
2010-08-25 2:45 PM

User image

chattanooga
Hello! I live in Chattanooga and the Chattanooga Triathlon Club is up and functioning this year trying to get out the word and encourage participation from the locals. Also, they are planning on getting out to races in other cities around the southeast to promote. I am looking to do some races-been off for awhile but ready to get back to trying it mostly for fun, exercise, and meeting new people.
2010-09-21 6:39 PM

User image

New user

chattanooga
Hello out there Tennesse....
my name is aaron and I live in Chattanooga!  I agree with adollar79 we need to put ourselves out there more.  This year I raced in the Rev3 series which was a TON of fun and I highly recommend it.
Events
Rev3
Tri Fall Creek Falls
Carpet Capital 10 miler
Waterfront Chattanooga
3State3Mile
Chicamauga Chase

I mostly train around marion county and downtown chattanooga....and the downtown YMCA.
2010-09-22 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty
Smyrna checking in!! i was fortunate to meet BlueRaider and a few others this summer for a few OWS in Preist lake. i pop over here if something catches my eye. i'm mostly marathon focused right now. check my log haha. i am going to get back in the pool consistently hopefully this week or next and will be trying to find a trainer for the winter garage rides.

2010-09-22 8:12 PM

Extreme Veteran
Hello there!
Spring Hill checking in.
My wife and I normally race the Team Magic events with some others thrown in (Monster, ADPI Tri, etc). I'll ride locally for shorter stuff but make it out to the Natchez trace on a weekend day to get some longer miles in when I can. Marathon training right now so limited bike/swim training but will be picking that back up again. I do most of my running locally as well
Looking to do a few more OWS after the first of the year depending on water temp, etc.. Will be training for the 1/2 IM again in Orlando. For now it's the Williamson County Rec Center in Spring Hill.
Will be doing the Music City 1/2 here in a few weeks, hit me up if you're going would love to meet up. AT most events i'll have my Endurance Tri Kit on, hard to miss...
Derek
2010-09-23 4:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I live and train in the 'boro area. I try to do 8-10 sprints a year with the odd 5 or 10 k thrown in. I do my swimming at LaVergne High school where I am a teacher and the swim coach. I should do some open water stuff but really don't except for racing(it would help if I did). I am glad that I am starting to see more and more 'boro and rutherford county names on the start list. My running is mostly various routes around my home, for my cycling I try to mix it up. Usually, weather providing I ride to work one day a week, on the weekends when not racing I will get a longer ride in with the local club.
2010-11-23 5:40 PM

User image

New user

I live in madison, Im just a beginner in Tri (47 years old) but enjoying running and biking again.
2010-11-23 9:29 PM

User image

Memphis, Tennessee
Hi, I am new to Tri too and live in Athens, TN. I want to do the May 2011 R3 in Knoxville. I swim at the YMCA in Athens, run either there or the streets, and bike around the area.
Thanks.
Phillip
2010-11-24 10:32 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Thanks for the introductions, everyone!

2010-11-24 7:35 PM

New user

Knoxville
I too am new to the triathlon scene. I'm from Knoxville, mainly training in my apartments gym (biking and running).  Looking to get a bike this month and going TriVols (The University of Tennessee's Tri club).  Being new I'm searching all over for knowledge any would be greatly appreciated.
2010-11-25 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3225597

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
lucham - 2010-11-24 7:35 PM I too am new to the triathlon scene. I'm from Knoxville, mainly training in my apartments gym (biking and running).  Looking to get a bike this month and going TriVols (The University of Tennessee's Tri club).  Being new I'm searching all over for knowledge any would be greatly appreciated.

Very cool! Welcome to BT! I recommend just spending some time reading threads in Triathlon Talk. You will learn a lot there. If you need more specific help with buying a bike or getting started with a training plan, let me or Andrew know. We are happy to help.
2010-11-26 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3225808

New user

Knoxville
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-11-25 7:24 AM
lucham - 2010-11-24 7:35 PM I too am new to the triathlon scene. I'm from Knoxville, mainly training in my apartments gym (biking and running).  Looking to get a bike this month and going TriVols (The University of Tennessee's Tri club).  Being new I'm searching all over for knowledge any would be greatly appreciated.

Very cool! Welcome to BT! I recommend just spending some time reading threads in Triathlon Talk. You will learn a lot there. If you need more specific help with buying a bike or getting started with a training plan, let me or Andrew know. We are happy to help.

Actually I did start a thread in the equipment section about getting a bike.  I know this may not be the proper location to do so but I could send you a message about my questions about a specific bike and bikes in general. Thanks
2010-11-28 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3113296

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Special K - 2010-09-23 4:43 AMI live and train in the 'boro area. I try to do 8-10 sprints a year with the odd 5 or 10 k thrown in. I do my swimming at LaVergne High school where I am a teacher and the swim coach. I should do some open water stuff but really don't except for racing(it would help if I did). I am glad that I am starting to see more and more 'boro and rutherford county names on the start list. My running is mostly various routes around my home, for my cycling I try to mix it up. Usually, weather providing I ride to work one day a week, on the weekends when not racing I will get a longer ride in with the local club.
Do you know Jeff Marlow? He teaches there also. He's a good friend of mine and I think he's going to start doing triathlons.
2010-11-30 11:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
Hi, I'm new to triathlon out of Knoxville. I haven't done much endurance training since the Marine Corps, mostly weight training. However, I do bike regularly, both mountain and road. At 41 I want to focus more on ftiness and endurance and I have always been interested in triathlons. I work nights and am training during the day. I live in Farraugt and usually run and bike out of Anchor Park. I'm struggling with shin splints (I always have) right now and working on improving my technique, getting the right shoe, and dropping weight.

I have also signed up with "Team in Training" to do the Rev3 olypmic next year and raise money for the Lukemia and Lymphoma Society so I'll be training with them. I think I am more interested in doing sprints but if it doesn't kill me I may do an Olympic now and then. Hope to get to meet some of you.

2010-12-01 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3231520

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
tenninstr - 2010-11-30 11:38 PM Hi, I'm new to triathlon out of Knoxville. I haven't done much endurance training since the Marine Corps, mostly weight training. However, I do bike regularly, both mountain and road. At 41 I want to focus more on ftiness and endurance and I have always been interested in triathlons. I work nights and am training during the day. I live in Farraugt and usually run and bike out of Anchor Park. I'm struggling with shin splints (I always have) right now and working on improving my technique, getting the right shoe, and dropping weight.

I have also signed up with "Team in Training" to do the Rev3 olypmic next year and raise money for the Lukemia and Lymphoma Society so I'll be training with them. I think I am more interested in doing sprints but if it doesn't kill me I may do an Olympic now and then. Hope to get to meet some of you.

Thanks for stopping in and saying hi! I know someone here in Nashville that is also doing the Olympic at Rev 3 with Team in Training. Hope you enjoy the journey!
2010-12-02 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
Thank you Jessica, it has been fun so far Smile
2010-12-14 11:45 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
This year I am starting my season out with some new races I have never done before. I am doing a Cross Country series here in Memphis that starts Jan 3 with a 3k race, then its a 5k, an 8k and ends with a 10k towards the end of Jan. Next i am running the Trails of Herb Parsons (7.5 miles I think) in April before focusing on Memphis in May Triathlon.

I got tired of doing the samething year after year and hoping this change up will be good for me.

I am also looking at joining the Memphis Runners Club, so if anyone is a member, I would love to hear more about it.
2010-12-20 11:51 AM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Hello everyone,
    I am currently living in Antioch and going to school in Gallatin. I have done several triathlons,sprint mostly, one Oly. Right now my concentration is school and the associated costs make triathlons out of my reach until probably the  2012 season. However, I still love to ride both my road and my mountain bikes and I have taken up trail running. Swim practice is cost prohibitive as well at this time, but that will change as well. If anyone is up for a trail run or road or mountain bike riding, I'm in. I'm big, and old and slow, but I rarely ever quit! I enjoy meeting other triathletes and the training is just as enjoyable to me as the actual events. I'm glad I chose to check out the website today. I haven't been here in ages and it's nice to see the Tennessee thread becoming active again. If anyone wants to ride or run, hit me up!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Revamping the TN Forum Rss Feed  

of 3