General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Aiming big Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-18 1:35 PM

Subject: Aiming big
Hi everyone.
My name's Sam, I'm from the UK and I have a big ambition to undertake an Ironman event.
I am fairly new to the sport but have always maintained reasonable fitness (nowhere near ironman standard!) I did my first sprint triathlon in 2009 and did a few more since. Was planning more in 2010 but only just recovered from knee injury. My aim is now to do an ironman in 2012. It may be ambitious, but surely 2 years is enough time to train for this? What does everyone think?
Sam

2010-08-18 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3050689

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Subject: RE: Aiming big
Hi Sam welcome to BT.  Good luck on your journey towards doing an IM.
2010-08-18 6:05 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I think two years is really realistic. At least I hope it is since I'm working toward an IM in less time. What sort of plan do you have in place? Also, are you going alone or being coached? I don't have much extra money and what I have I'd prefer to spend on better equipment so I am going without a coach.

I think doing a progressive build with some 70.3 events over two years is really realistic. I think my biggest worry is injury prevention and so a long haul of incremental progress sounds like a great idea. I think having intermediary races should keep you on task and avoid the burn out also.

Good luck - pick a race and go for it!
2010-08-19 2:23 PM

Thanks.
The words of wosdom and inspiration are much welcome!
I'm planing on going it alon,e can't afford coaching, but it's motivating myself to go out and train when I've had a hard day at work.....once I'm at teh pool or out on the bike,` I can go for miles and the motivation is good. It's getting out there in the first place.
I'm sure your plan to do IM sooner is fine, I was being cautious I think!
Right....off for a run!
2010-08-23 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Totally resonable goal. I just completed my first HIM in July, and am doing my first IM in May next year. I've done a few Oly's as well.

I'd recommend doing a HIM as soon as is reasonable...it'll give you a better idea of what an IM takes. Then consider the time (and money) investment of a full IM and make the decision. Personally, I think it'll be my first and last IM in May. Oly is about the right distance for me since I like to actually race.

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Aiming big Rss Feed