General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2010-08-19 12:13 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: Learn How to Swim Training Group
If you are starting the Learn How to Swim Training Plan, come join in this group!  This group will connect you with others starting or already training on this plan. 

Post your introduction, background, ask questions  and get motivated!

2010-08-20 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3052877

Subject: RE: Learn How to Swim Training Group

Howdy. I have completed one Sprint. Learned to swim in 2008 and my goal was to not embarrass the race folks by drowning. It was touch and go when the wave behind us caught up with the group I was with and swam right over us but I made it. This summer training was interrupted and I was just restarting when this article came out so I decided to follow the program.

Question: I hate kicking with a board and previous swim coach said to do the kicking drills on my side. Advantages/Disadvantages? Am I getting any benefit from this? Do I need to go back to that dumb board?

Edited by trakker 2010-08-20 9:22 PM
2010-08-20 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Tracker yes the side kicking is very useful as it can help you develop balance.   IMO balance is the most important thing you can have for a good swim.   One other way to help is to kick on your back with your arms out front over your head.  I hate to kick but i is helpful for balance and does help you push on a sprint when you need a little operating room. 
2010-08-21 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3056146

Thanks much. I guess I will keep on kick'n...

2010-08-22 9:55 AM

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Good morning!

Headed for the ocean today for a swim, triathlon next Sunday ...dreading it. Huge fear of open water, ocean waves. 

I am an older  beginner sprint triathlete who took her first swim lesson at the YMCA two summers ago and just can't get the hang of translating what I am learning in the pool to the ocean.  I get in the ocean and hyperventilate/panic and end up going way wide and never putting my face in the water, dog paddling the entire 500 yards.

This is a good topic for me

Pamela
SB-TriChick
2010-08-22 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3057146

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
sbtrichick - 2010-08-22 9:55 AM Good morning!

Headed for the ocean today for a swim, triathlon next Sunday ...dreading it. Huge fear of open water, ocean waves. 

I am an older  beginner sprint triathlete who took her first swim lesson at the YMCA two summers ago and just can't get the hang of translating what I am learning in the pool to the ocean.  I get in the ocean and hyperventilate/panic and end up going way wide and never putting my face in the water, dog paddling the entire 500 yards.

This is a good topic for me

Pamela
SB-TriChick

Pamela, how was your OWS today?

2010-08-22 8:54 PM

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA

"Pamela, how was your OWS today?"

Hi and...Thanks for checking in!

There were four of us, I was the weakest swimmer.

Windy, choppy and cross-currents (according to one of the guys who is an expert ocean swimmer).

Water a little cold, but I now wear a full-body wetsuit which really helps. We did a quick out and back to get warmed up and used to the choppy waves and currents. Jerrett tried to teach me how to sight a palm tree against the mountains in the background to figure out the direction of the current.  On the way back I was able to get my face in the water a bit, but not much.

Did the full course plus+ (about 600 yds) which I know for good swimmers is NOTHING, but swimming in the ocean exhausts me really fast. I swallowed some nice brine, tangled in some nice kelp, but hey...I finished. Little to NO freestyle, back-floating, side-stroke, dog-paddling.

This really frustrates me because I have been doing really well in the pool, freestyle swimming 1000- 1200 yards, breathing every 3rd stroke with no problem. 

The ocean swim is always the longest 15-20 mins of my life.  This next Sunday will be my second of three Sprint Tris this season. I was going to do four but the big waves in the Oxnard Tri practice scared me so much I simply didn't race, just cheered every one on.

Today I did the entire course and had a great bike and run.  If it wasn't for that darn ocean swim...I might be able to compete in my age group. (50-54).

Thanks again for asking/listening,

Pamela

Edited by sbtrichick 2010-08-22 8:54 PM
2010-08-23 12:09 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Pamela, you are being smart and working on your OWS skills and they WILL improve. It would be great if you could find a tri with a pool swim just to boost your confidence and let you swim to your ability.
I am glad you have a wetsuit. And some friends to train with. The more you practice, the easier it will get. You DID go the whole distance, so that is a big improvement!
You might want to consider going here and doing a search in Tri Talk on open water swimming fear or related search terms and see what other people have said about this issue in the past. I know lots of people experience this and it has been talked about in the past in Tri Talk. Here are some I found with a quick search:
Open Water Swimming
How Do You Handle Panic Attack
2010-08-23 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3057850

Wow. Windy, choppy, cross-currents and you did it! Awesome! I and many others share your frustration with the swim thing. My first open water class I practically had to be carried in, and it was a warm inland lake.

For the experts ... I have been thinking about combining a vacation with an open water swim class this winter. Thus the progression through this program. Total Immersion has one. Any thoughts on some others?

Thanks.

2010-08-23 10:46 PM
in reply to: #3059979

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
trakker - 2010-08-23 5:21 PM

....For the experts ... I have been thinking about combining a vacation with an open water swim class this winter. Thus the progression through this program. Total Immersion has one. Any thoughts on some others?

Thanks.

Trakker, I looked at some Total Immersion Clinics last summer, couldn't find one in my area. Where are they doing an open water class in Winter?  If I remember right they are pretty expensive...

I joined our local triathlon club for $75 a year and the club has held two free open water swim classes this summer by USAT coaches. Now, having said that, they held both of them while I was out of town..but maybe I will catch the next one!

Pamela
2010-08-23 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3059074

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-08-23 10:09 AM Pamela, you are being smart and working on your OWS skills and they WILL improve. It would be great if you could find a tri with a pool swim just to boost your confidence and let you swim to your ability.
I am glad you have a wetsuit. And some friends to train with. The more you practice, the easier it will get. You DID go the whole distance, so that is a big improvement!
You might want to consider going here and doing a search in Tri Talk on open water swimming fear or related search terms and see what other people have said about this issue in the past. I know lots of people experience this and it has been talked about in the past in Tri Talk. Here are some I found with a quick search:
Open Water Swimming
How Do You Handle Panic Attack

Thanks! I am going to check out the links now...swimming in the ocean again tomorrow -- with a GF who has never swam in the ocean before and is doing the Tri with me next week.

Oh yeah.  A BIG question, do you EVER get used to swimming in a crowd? I absolutely freak when someone kicks me in the head or grabs my leg ...which makes me get WAY outside the pack and take forever to finish

My husband decided one time to start running into me and trying to swim over me on purpose---it was NOT appreciated by me, especially he didn't tell me he was going to do it

Pamela

2010-08-24 6:39 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
You may never get used to swimming in a crowd, but you can still get better at it! It's ok to start at the back or to the side. And we all get hit and keep on swimming. The more you do races, the less this will bother you. Just like everything else, you adjust and it becomes less of an issue over time.
GREAT job getting out in the water again today! That's awesome!
2010-08-24 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3060247

Howdy Pamela

I also joined an OWS group with an instructor. It helped a lot although life gets in the way and I missed half of the classes. I started thinking about adapting life to training by combining a vacation spot that would entice my wife but have an opportunity to improve. Found a TI class in January, at Maho Bay, St. John, USVI. No experience with TI but there must be others.

Cheers

Steve

2010-08-24 10:23 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Hey all!

Some of you may know me from the main forum, but I will be also coming in and checking things out in here.

My name is John, and I was a 17 year competitive swimmer up to the NAIA level in college. I had college classes in coaching, teaching and assessing swim strokes, and was (And will be again) a certified USA Swimming coach.

If you have specific questions, or concerns about your stroke, feel free to ask. I don't know if this is allowed for this forum or not, but I am also happy to do critiques of swim video (above and below water shots preferably, but I can make do with anything. :p)

John
2010-08-24 11:09 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Just a bit of encouragement...

Swimming seems to be the hardest sport of all 3 and gives most people the hardest time. It's great to come here and read of people working at, knowing their fear and working toward it, and training smart. These are great.

Not to step on any toes (T.K.D.), but I have always been very comfortable in the water, both pool and open. And like TKD mentioned, if you have any questions, ask away.

Folks here are genuinely good about helping and working with you to make sure you understand the ins/outs of what's going on. So, don't let it get you down if you have problems.

Come on over...
2010-08-24 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3061061

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
LostSheep - 2010-08-24 9:09 AM
Not to step on any toes (T.K.D.), but I have always been very comfortable in the water, both pool and open. And like TKD mentioned, if you have any questions, ask away.

Folks here are genuinely good about helping and working with you to make sure you understand the ins/outs of what's going on. So, don't let it get you down if you have problems.

Come on over...

x2. And don't worry about it, there are many times that people have seen things that I have missed/misinterpreted, and vice versa. The more eyes on things the better!

John

2010-08-24 3:50 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Thanks for joining in the discussion, John! We appreciate the expertise!

2010-08-24 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3060564

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
trakker - 2010-08-24 6:08 AM

Howdy Pamela

I also joined an OWS group with an instructor. It helped a lot although life gets in the way and I missed half of the classes. I started thinking about adapting life to training by combining a vacation spot that would entice my wife but have an opportunity to improve. Found a TI class in January, at Maho Bay, St. John, USVI. No experience with TI but there must be others.

Cheers

Steve

Wow! I have been to St. John once (1990) and it's gorgeous! Have you been before? I have always wanted to go back...I am envious of your vacation, and how cool to find a TI class there

Pamela
2010-08-25 10:35 AM

User image

New user

Houston, TX
Subject: Introduction: Learn How to Swim Training Group
Hi!  I'm very new to triathlete training!  I started doing this b/c I promised myself that when I got into my latter 30s that I would do this for fitness, mobility, and overall wellness.  I'm so glad that I did!

I've been conditioning for 2 months now - not really training, but just getting my body in a place where it could exert some energy to do endurance sports.  I hired a swim coach.  I have always been a casual swimmer - paddled around a bit, but never really mastered swimming.  I've taken lessons from different people over the years, and learned enough to maneuver around the pool, but i've never been truly comfortable in deep water.

Well, after 2 months, i'm swimming roughly a quarter mile.  I have a strong front crawl, but i'm still a respiratory challenged.  I find it difficult to get enough air Cry But, the more I run, the better I become cardiovascularly @ that.  Anyhoo, i'm on this forum just for swimming support!

I hope some of you have good tips on how to become a stronger swimmer, and how I can get that egg-beater kick down, so that I can tread water comfortably.  I tread okay, but it won't last for long b/c I'm an arm treader!!

Here's hoping for a completely new lifestyle!

Sarabi
Houston, TX
2010-08-25 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3060408

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Thought I would share my blog entry from today:

Today's Mantra: the ocean is my friend, the ocean is my friend

The ocean is my friend, the ocean is my friend, the ocean is my friend.

The ocean is a cruel beast that is trying to kill me is more like it.

Oh to swim, to swim like a dolphin and play in the waves,
to not be gripped in sheer terror, hyperventilating and unable to breathe,
to not feel like my lungs only hold a teaspoon of air once I get in the water.

I watch my friends run into the ocean with a whoop and a hollar of joy,
diving into the wave like a freaking fish, popping out on the other side with a smile.

How the hell do they do that? Am I green with envy or sick-to-my-stomach with fear?

I tiptoe in, turning my body sideways, bracing myself as the waves whack me,
Slowly making my way out past the surf moving like an zombie with concrete weights attached to each ankle.

I don't swim with grace, I dog-paddle face-up, I turn onto my back, I shreik because I touched kelp (rolling my eyes at myself), I will myself through it and ask myself,

Why? Why? Why do I Tri? What internal idiocy compels me to be out here in the ocean subjecting myself to the kicks and flailing arms of 1000 other "real" swimmers?

Twice this week I have subjected myself to ocean swimming, finding other "beginner" women to swim with, who swim far better than I without trying, who actually SMILE while swimming, who, when seeing my grimace of fear, ask, "will you be okay?". Sweet Laurie who was on her VERY FIRST ocean swim last night kept swimming back to me and asking, "are you SURE you're okay?".

Why is this SO hard for me?

I have no answers.

Namaste,
Pamela
2010-08-25 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3063038

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Introduction: Learn How to Swim Training Group
Sarabi - 2010-08-25 8:35 AM
I hope some of you have good tips on how to become a stronger swimmer, and how I can get that egg-beater kick down, so that I can tread water comfortably.  I tread okay, but it won't last for long b/c I'm an arm treader!!

Ok, there are two ways to picture the egg beater kick. Can you do a breaststroke kick? If so, the egg beater kick is merely a breaststroke kick done one leg at a time. Kind of like a butterfly stroke is a freestyle stroke but done together instead of separate, the egg beater is separate breaststroke kicking. (In essence, the exact motion is slightly different, but this will be good enough to get you started.)

The other way is to picture a baby. (Work with me here...) When you tickle a baby, you ever notice how their legs kind of kick out and back in an alternate fashion? Same concept for the egg beater, and almost the exact motion needed. You can mimic that (It helps if you giggle like a baby too, but stop if you go under water :p).

Arms are still used, but more for balance than actual lift.

John

2010-08-26 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3060935

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
tkd.teacher - 2010-08-24 8:23 AM Hey all!

Some of you may know me from the main forum, but I will be also coming in and checking things out in here.

My name is John, and I was a 17 year competitive swimmer up to the NAIA level in college. I had college classes in coaching, teaching and assessing swim strokes, and was (And will be again) a certified USA Swimming coach.

If you have specific questions, or concerns about your stroke, feel free to ask. I don't know if this is allowed for this forum or not, but I am also happy to do critiques of swim video (above and below water shots preferably, but I can make do with anything. :p)

John

Hi John (and anyone else listening ,

What brought me to this forum/group was the swim program on the home page:

Learning How to Swim - Month 1
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on breathing. Before you can swim fast, you must learn how to control your breathing so that easy swimming does not leave you gasping after one lap

I have an triathlon on Sunday (Santa Barbara Sprint), and another on September 26 (Carpinteria, CA Sprint). I thought I would try this BT Swim Series four week plan between now and then.

But after reviewing it and looking at my strengths/weaknesses, I realize I have become pretty comfortable in the pool. I can swim 1000 yds non-stop now, breathing every 3rd stroke, and remain pretty calm and relaxed. I work better with a plan. In the pool I enjoy drills and racing against the clock (albeit slow racing . I made a little whiteboard on an easel I put at the end of the lane with my workout and I get to work. 

It is translating those skills into the ocean, and getting over my fear of open water.  Which I think means, (gulp), more time in the ocean? What kind of training plan would you put in place for the next four weeks to work on that? The fear of swimming in a crowd and the fear of open water? What would a four week OCEAN swim plan look like?

Thanks!

Pamela Cool
2010-08-26 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3065183

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
sbtrichick - 2010-08-26 8:48 AM

It is translating those skills into the ocean, and getting over my fear of open water.  Which I think means, (gulp), more time in the ocean? What kind of training plan would you put in place for the next four weeks to work on that? The fear of swimming in a crowd and the fear of open water? What would a four week OCEAN swim plan look like?

Thanks!

Pamela Cool

How many times a week do you swim now?

The main thing is just going to be getting into the ocean and swimming. Preferably with a buddy, especially if you have OW fears. If not, stay close to shore and swim parallel to the shore rather than out and back. Get used to low visibility, grungy footing, the occasional kelp/algae clump, waves, etc.

About the only way is to go do it, but don't completely abandon the pool, since during your acclimation time in the ocean, you probably won't be getting quality workouts in.

And, for some of the time, do the same thing that I tell my pool newbies. Get in the deep end, and just do goofy stuff. Dive, see if you can pick stuff up off the bottom, do somersaults, pretend you're a dolphin, whatever. Just get used to the environment. DEFINITELY in OW do the goofy stuff with a partner watching. ;-) Just make sure they don't have a camera.

John
2010-08-30 10:40 AM

This might sound bad, but I'm so glad there are other beginner triathletes that fear OWS as much as me!

Well, to be fair, I think I fear it more. I live in Southern Ontario so all my swims are in lakes. The waves don't bother me, I've been swimming all my life (was even a beach lifeguard in my teens) and somehow I have this cripling fear of the stuff in the water under me that I can't see!

I'm find swimming in the nice blue oceans when I go on vacation (Mexico and the like) and can see the little fishies (as long as they don't come near me) but sticking my face into a dark lake and seeing nothing but black (and the occasional hint of seaweed, that I'm convinced is a monster fish never seen by man before that is coming to eat me) is too much for me to handle.

I start breathing irregularly, to the point where even breast stroke is a struggle. I'm trying to get over my fear through visualization and all that jazz, but I won't know if it's working until my first try-a-tri in two weeks!

Wish me luck!
2010-08-30 11:42 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Hey folks! I would like to join this group for a little swim support.  I finished my season yesterday and  really want to improve my swim over the off season.  I mostly breaststroke and want to improve my endurance with front crawl.  I find that my arms just ache and I am out of breath too quickly with crawl. I can at least bilateral breath now. I think I get lazy and just do the easy thing.  Time to change that!

I am generally not afraid of the water and grew up loving to body surf and boogie board.  Pamela maybe you could try bringing a boogie board to the beach and just playing a bit in the waves. Not too deep, just maybe waist to chest height.  I also think it is much easier to OWS in a pond or lake. The lack of surf and salt makes for 2 less things to handle as you acclimate.  It might make the change to ocean swimming a little easier.  Sounds like you are mentally very strong to keep getting back in there- always good for a triathlete.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  

of 16