Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2013-04-04 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4678598

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
ljo5 - 2013-03-28 5:11 PM

Hello all! After researching for hours to find the best training plan for my very first HIM I believe I have finally committed! I have a rather crazy life schedule, working and going back to school, but after reviewing this beginner 1/2 plan I am confident that I can make it across the finish line, which is my only goal!

The 1/2 I am looking at is at the end of August. I have spent that last few years as a runner and within the last year or so have I found the joys of triathlons! Running is by far my strongest! My biggest fear is swimming in the lake Silly I know!

Here is hoping I can make this work and cross the finish line!

Hi all.  Haven't been posting much in here, although I started training for my second HIM a few weeks back.  Following along though. 

Your fear of swimming in the lake is not silly at all, it is a real fear for a lot of people.  Definitely try to get open water practice when you can--it helps.  There are some articles on the site re OWS as well.  Good luck!

2013-04-04 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4687434

User image

Master

raisa - 2013-04-04 6:43 PM Hi! This is my first 70.3 and first traithalon training. Ever.I'm using the half IM program, 5 weeks in and so far I love it.I have a question about the swimming training. For 1000m, if I mix it up with breast stroke am I putting myself at a serious disadvantage? I hate swimming..... Breast stroke makes it not feel so bad.

No problems with breast stroking, whatever gets you to the finish line.  That being said....are you swimming straight 1000m?  You may want to break it up into intervals of 50 or 100.  That way you are working more on freestyle (although nothing wrong with throwing in some back/breast in there as well).  The other thing about breast stroke in an open water swim is that you run the risk of kicking someone--so stay to the outside if you can.  And as an aside--I hated swimming when I started, until I got a little better at it.  If you can join a Masters swim group I highly recommend it-it has done wonders for me!

ETA: Where are you located?  I'm in BC, not far from Vancouver.

Edited by bcraht 2013-04-04 9:39 PM
2013-04-05 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
??Diagnosis: Restless Leg Syndrome

Causes: Getting stuck in work on a beautiful day?, minor injuries that heal slowly, looking at other triathletes' race pictures

Symptoms: Distracting thoughts of biking or running, sprinting/jogging to deliver unimportant memos or messages to other people's offices, reminiscing with others about long training efforts, encouraging others to sign up for triathlons so they will finally understand your “sickness”

2013-04-05 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4651509

User image

dsand97 - 2013-03-08 9:26 AM

So along the lines of the previous few posts I have a question for the more experienced distance triathletes.  My week 1 starts next week for a June 30 race.  However looking at week one a lot of the training is under what I am currently doing? 

Should I maintain what I'm doing and ramp it up once the plan distance surpasses my typical work, or should I scale back and stick to the plan?

Hey Don. I'm in the same boat so I figured I would quote you and see if we get some opinions. Personally I think I'm going to keep at my current routine until the plan catches up but focus attention to the swim since that will be the biggest challenge for me.

2013-04-05 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4688378

User image

Master
phishinphan - 2013-04-05 11:19 AM
dsand97 - 2013-03-08 9:26 AM

So along the lines of the previous few posts I have a question for the more experienced distance triathletes.  My week 1 starts next week for a June 30 race.  However looking at week one a lot of the training is under what I am currently doing? 

Should I maintain what I'm doing and ramp it up once the plan distance surpasses my typical work, or should I scale back and stick to the plan?

Hey Don. I'm in the same boat so I figured I would quote you and see if we get some opinions. Personally I think I'm going to keep at my current routine until the plan catches up but focus attention to the swim since that will be the biggest challenge for me.

I hope those more experienced than me will pipe up, but IMO, I would keep my training where it is at, and when the plan catches up, jump on.  This is assuming that you have worked your way up to where you are with some base, not bumped up your training to get to a race distance.  And yes, putting the focus on your limiter in the meantime is always a good idea!

2013-04-07 5:05 PM

quick question, this week marks the start of my 1/2 training. I plan on following the beginner half training plan....are the workouts meant to be 2 a days unless otherwise labeled as bricks?

As I was reviewing the workouts I saw some labeled as bricks...this made me wonder if this meant that others were designed to be 2 a days??

2013-04-07 10:08 PM
in reply to: #4690356

User image

Master
ljo5 - 2013-04-07 3:05 PM

quick question, this week marks the start of my 1/2 training. I plan on following the beginner half training plan....are the workouts meant to be 2 a days unless otherwise labeled as bricks?

As I was reviewing the workouts I saw some labeled as bricks...this made me wonder if this meant that others were designed to be 2 a days??

Hiya--I always tried to do a morning and a evening workout unless it specifically said brick.  That being said, if I was pressed for time, I would do them back to back.  I always tried to have at least 24 hours between hard or long workouts though.  Good luck!

2013-04-08 6:21 AM
in reply to: #4690356

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
ljo5 - 2013-04-07 6:05 PM

Pretty much what bcraht said.  It's written to be 2-a-days and not bricks.  I don't have the motivation to wake up early enough to get my 1st workout done in the morning so I end up doing it on my lunch break then end up running or biking after work (usually on the way home as to minimize time away from the family).

2013-04-10 8:49 PM

Hello!

Is there a half ironman distance tri plan that anyone recommends for a newbie triathlete. I completed several sprints last year and this weekend I'm doing my first Olympic. I signed up for a long course tri in August.

Thank you!

2013-04-12 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4695636

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
enzaba - 2013-04-10 9:49 PM

Is there a half ironman distance tri plan that anyone recommends for a newbie triathlete...

There are multiple plans on the BT website.  Some free, some not.  I used the free plan the past 2 years and have had great success.

2013-04-13 9:22 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Just starting the HIM training plan this weekend for a September 7 race - my first HIM...(21 weeks out, due to a vacation in early June where I'll be able to run but not much else). Bike & swim are my weaknesses - given opportunities for group rides and OWS and/or master swim training, I'll be exceeding the minutes for the early weeks. I'm assuming (so long it isn't out of line with my current fitness level) that it is better to take advantage of these training opportunities than to stick strictly to the plan. True?

2013-04-14 5:24 PM

Thanks for all of your help everyone! First week has been great!

Next question...dont laugh

R: 40 minutes. 10 minute warm up, then do 20 second strides* before returning to RPE 3 pace. Repeat strides every 5 minute until end of run.

What does the '20 second strides*' refer to....I could not for the life of me find the explanation...maybe I am over thinking it but just thought I would check to see...

2013-04-14 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4699838

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
ljo5 - 2013-04-14 6:24 PM

What does the '20 second strides*' refer to....I could not for the life of me find the explanation...maybe I am over thinking it but just thought I would check to see...

Here is a runners world article that describes "strides" pretty well:

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/add-strides-your-next-run

2013-04-17 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4698812

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.

enders_shadow - 2013-04-13 10:22 AM ... given opportunities for group rides and OWS and/or master swim training, I'll be exceeding the minutes for the early weeks. I'm assuming (so long it isn't out of line with my current fitness level) that it is better to take advantage of these training opportunities than to stick strictly to the plan. True?

True, indeed.  As long as you're not straining yourself too early I would take advantage of every group event you can find for multiple reasons.  First is the motivation of others if you start to get tired.  Second, other athletes are a great source of information and race tips (but be careful b/c there's always bad advice too).  Lastly, it's just more fun to have someone to share the pain with.

2013-04-19 1:35 AM

User image

Harare

Does anyone feel like the number of long slow swims in this program is a bit excessive? Swimming is definitely my weakest discipline, so I'm somewhat out of my element here. But from BT and other forums, most of the "fish" recommend doing lots of shorter, faster intervals, and only doing things like 1000m or 2000m TTs once a month or so. It seems like now that I'm in the higher volume weeks of this plan, almost every week has intervals of at least 500m, and every couple weeks there is a 1000m or higher continuous swim. Is this just to build mental confidence, or is there a justification from the fitness side? Are you guys and girls sticking to the plan as is, or doing more short intervals?

Sorry if this has been covered already, but searching this thread is a bit daunting.

Edited by Danielfberlin 2013-04-19 1:37 AM
2013-04-19 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4706644

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Danielfberlin - 2013-04-18 11:35 PM

Does anyone feel like the number of long slow swims in this program is a bit excessive? Swimming is definitely my weakest discipline, so I'm somewhat out of my element here. But from BT and other forums, most of the "fish" recommend doing lots of shorter, faster intervals, and only doing things like 1000m or 2000m TTs once a month or so. It seems like now that I'm in the higher volume weeks of this plan, almost every week has intervals of at least 500m, and every couple weeks there is a 1000m or higher continuous swim. Is this just to build mental confidence, or is there a justification from the fitness side? Are you guys and girls sticking to the plan as is, or doing more short intervals?

Sorry if this has been covered already, but searching this thread is a bit daunting.

I've deviated from the plan on some of the swimming.  I like some of the shorter sets and ladders but usually break the long continuous swims into 500 yard sets.

I think the plan does these long swims to better prepare you to finish not necessarily to do it with speed in mind.

My schedule has also forced me to swim three times a week on generally set days.  I do one speed day of 50's or 100's, one day of long sets like 4 x 500, and one day in between like sets of 200 or 300 or a ladder like (300, 200, 100) x 3.  Always the focus is on improving form and efficiency in the water.

Edited by popsracer 2013-04-19 12:01 PM

2013-04-19 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4707152

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
popsracer - 2013-04-19 12:00 PM
Danielfberlin - 2013-04-18 11:35 PM

I've deviated from the plan on some of the swimming.  I like some of the shorter sets and ladders but usually break the long continuous swims into 500 yard sets.

I think the plan does these long swims to better prepare you to finish not necessarily to do it with speed in mind.

My schedule has also forced me to swim three times a week on generally set days.  I do one speed day of 50's or 100's, one day of long sets like 4 x 500, and one day in between like sets of 200 or 300 or a ladder like (300, 200, 100) x 3.  Always the focus is on improving form and efficiency in the water.

As a beginner I needed the mental toughness of the long swim, knowing I could do it without a problem, sure did help when you start that long race.  But as Pops said if you are looking for speed your best bet is to adjust the plan for your needs. 

2013-04-19 3:13 PM
in reply to: #4707172

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
SportzVision - 2013-04-19 1:18 PM

As a beginner I needed the mental toughness of the long swim, knowing I could do it without a problem, sure did help when you start that long race.  But as Pops said if you are looking for speed your best bet is to adjust the plan for your needs. 

Agree with Pops and Sportz...  My first year I needed the long swims to prove to myself that I could do it.  The following years I have done more intervals to work on speed.

2013-04-25 10:33 AM

User image

El Paso, TX
Subject: Newbie training for HIM in October
Just wanted to say hello and thanks for all of the support that's here for us newbies! I promised myself that I would do an IM event before I turned 40, so I've signed up for HIM Austin in October. That gives me a solid six months to train. I am still pretty unsure of myself on the bike and I could definitely do with more work on endurance for my run, but overall I truly believe I can do it, especially with this much advice and encouragement. So thanks to everybody who's sharing and supporting! 
2013-05-05 9:09 PM

User image

New user

I have done several sprint triathlons and one Olympic,  I just finished a 1/2 marathon without injuring myself and now am looking to work towards this half iron-man thing so I thought I would try this plan.  Little bit nervous about this.  Just trying to figure out the training scheduled.  Most schedules want you to take off on Saturday but I only have the weekends for long training days.  Not too much of a problem the first month or so of training but as hours get longer, I'll have to figure something out.

2013-05-06 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4728441

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
l-kinney - 2013-05-05 10:09 PM

I have done several sprint triathlons and one Olympic,  I just finished a 1/2 marathon without injuring myself and now am looking to work towards this half iron-man thing so I thought I would try this plan.  Little bit nervous about this.  Just trying to figure out the training scheduled.  Most schedules want you to take off on Saturday but I only have the weekends for long training days.  Not too much of a problem the first month or so of training but as hours get longer, I'll have to figure something out.

Congratulations on your accomplishments and your new goals.  I had to juggle around my off days as well.  Last year I ended up using Fridays as my off days and would just move workouts around to accomodate my family's needs and work hours.

2013-06-06 6:54 PM
in reply to: mrfranks_84

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
I'm in. Atlantic Coast Triathlon HIM. Oct 13, Jacksonville, FL.
2013-06-11 8:19 PM
in reply to: lygaribay

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-19 7:36 AM
in reply to: Danielfberlin

Regular
Ocala, FL
Originally posted by Danielfberlin

What's everyone's opinion on splitting workouts between days. For example, this week has me doing a 30 m ride and a 30 m run on Wednesday, a 30 m run and 30 m swim Thursday, rest day Friday, etc. Due to scheduling I took a rest day on Tuesday, did only the 30 m ride Wednesday, did Thursday's workout as planned, and will make up the 30 m run on Friday and double up another workout this weekend to make up for the earlier rest day.

Am I losing any benefit by not getting the ride/run on the same day (it's not a brick workout)? Or am I fine as long as my weekly mileage/time are more or less on par with the plan?

I pretty much never do the same workouts on the same days two weeks in a row. My work schedule has me working different days each week on a three week cycle. I have a weekly planner I bought specifically for training. I write down the prescribed workouts in the notes section. I fill in my work and family obligations in the days of the week, then I fill in my workouts where they will fit well. I'm probably on the extreme end of needing to move workouts around compared to most, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. I will say that I got a lot more accomplished planning the week out ahead than when I decided what I needed to do that day, or "forced" what the plan called for.
2013-06-19 7:36 AM
in reply to: pahmiyel

Subject: RE: Newbie training for HIM in October
i'm doing B2B in Wilmington, North Carolina end of October for my first 1/2IM.

starting the training plan, this upcoming week (I have a sprint on Saturday).

does anyone have any advice for fitting in other races during the training plan? I want to try and get an olympic and a half-marathon in before the race in october
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150