Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2013-06-19 7:41 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
Subject: RE: Newbie training for HIM in October
I'm doing my first HIM in October as well. I have some OLYs in between. My plan is to just taper a couple days before the race, have fun on race day, take a rest day, then get back at it unless the body says otherwise.

2013-06-19 9:54 AM
in reply to: l-kinney

User image

New user

Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
Originally posted by l-kinney

I have done several sprint triathlons and one Olympic,  I just finished a 1/2 marathon without injuring myself and now am looking to work towards this half iron-man thing so I thought I would try this plan.  Little bit nervous about this.  Just trying to figure out the training scheduled.  Most schedules want you to take off on Saturday but I only have the weekends for long training days.  Not too much of a problem the first month or so of training but as hours get longer, I'll have to figure something out.

Wow - my background is exactly identical to yours! I used this plan and was able to finish my first HIM (Kansas) a few weeks ago. It's a very solid plan, and I'm positive there's no harm in swapping days around to have your recovery/rest days in the middle of the week instead of on the weekend. Definitely take advantage of those rest days, though! I did yoga on a majority of them, or got in a brisk walk.

The biggest take-away for me in this plan was incorporating strides into my run. It's a very effective and helpful technique, particularly uphill when one tends to lose momentum. I learned a lot on this plan, and the weekly tips/suggestions were very helpful. My best advice: learn to incorporate nutrition on the run! That was the one thing that prevented me from doing better.

Overall, it's a great plan and I'll be jumping right back in after my sprint this weekend to prepare for another HIM (Steelhead) in August.
2013-06-19 12:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by enzaba

Hello!

Is there a half ironman distance tri plan that anyone recommends for a newbie triathlete. I completed several sprints last year and this weekend I'm doing my first Olympic. I signed up for a long course tri in August.

Thank you!

like others, i'm just using the one I found here - its an 18 week training plan...I put the date for the race, and then just back dated it to get a start date (and I did a slightly lesser version of the first month in the lead up to the start date which is this sunday). I am also supplementing with doing 2-3 days of weight training as well as the event stuff

Edited by austhokie 2013-06-19 1:00 PM
2013-06-20 10:51 AM
in reply to: Fokker416

User image

Originally posted by Fokker416

I'm doing my first HIM in October as well. I have some OLYs in between. My plan is to just taper a couple days before the race, have fun on race day, take a rest day, then get back at it unless the body says otherwise.

that's my plan as well...i'm trying to balance how much leave to take from work and all that jazz, but i'm excited...I figure the 1-2 weeks after the race will be really lite workouts - jogs, slow swims, nothing overly strenuous
2013-07-12 5:36 PM

User image

Veteran
clayton
Hi All I noticed this thread ahd 'disappeared' due to no recent posts so decided to introduce myself.

I am currently in week 5 of training for my first HIM race in October. currently loving the mix of training but its just started to build so might change my mind in a week or two :-)

Mark.
2013-07-12 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
clayton
Originally posted by austhokie

i'm doing B2B in Wilmington, North Carolina end of October for my first 1/2IM.

starting the training plan, this upcoming week (I have a sprint on Saturday).

does anyone have any advice for fitting in other races during the training plan? I want to try and get an olympic and a half-marathon in before the race in october

Hi - I too am following htis plan for B2B as my first HIM!!
regarding the additional races, I too am doing htis for experience prior to the big day, but I am treating them as 'training races' meaning I am not going all out but using certain elements as practive for the big day - mainly for ows experience. I have tried to schedule each race inline with the recovery weeks and will swap out the longer distance training session for the race.

Baically use common sence and dont jepordize the big day!

Have fun!

Mark.

2013-07-12 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
clayton
delete DP.

Edited by markhodges1973 2013-07-12 5:52 PM
2013-10-13 3:31 PM
in reply to: Tri Take Me Away

User image

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
So I've decided to do a 1/2. The Musselman July, 13 2014 in Genevea, NY. I've done the Mini there many times and love it. I'm 52, arthritic knees and stubborn. Thinking about upgrading my membership to silver and do the winter maintenance until March and switch to one of the 1/2 programs. That will give me a chance to lighten the load on the knees.
2013-10-23 2:25 PM

hi folks, first time here

ive planned to use the beginners HIM training guides for my 1st HIM in june next year (Exmoor forest in UK), ive not done a tri before so a bit nervous, mainly about the swim, ive done the other distances recently (albeit on their own).

a question about the guides - on most days there are 2 or more sports to train for, is it designed to do all of the training for the day back to back? ie from the nike straight into the swim etc. I ask because ive seen other plans that say to do, for example, the swim in the morning and a run in the afternoon, so to split the training up throughout the day.

Any feedback would be appreciated
thanks
andy
2013-10-24 5:55 PM
in reply to: andywoodstick

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Originally posted by andywoodstick hi folks, first time here ive planned to use the beginners HIM training guides for my 1st HIM in june next year (Exmoor forest in UK), ive not done a tri before so a bit nervous, mainly about the swim, ive done the other distances recently (albeit on their own). a question about the guides - on most days there are 2 or more sports to train for, is it designed to do all of the training for the day back to back? ie from the nike straight into the swim etc. I ask because ive seen other plans that say to do, for example, the swim in the morning and a run in the afternoon, so to split the training up throughout the day. Any feedback would be appreciated thanks andy

I used this plan for my first HIM last year and it worked very well for me - I followed it pretty closely, but was sometimes a little under the specified hours.  On the days with two workouts, they are not to be done back-to-back.  You will want to separate them by several hours so you are somewhat recovered and rested and able to get the most out of the second workout.

There will be "brick" workouts as you get further into the plan, which specifically call for back-to-back workouts and allow you to adjust to transitioning from one sport to the next.

Good luck.  I will be using this plan for a HIM in May and will be hanging around this thread - it will probably be quiet around here for awhile, but as people start picking up the plan over the winter, there will be more activity.

2013-11-09 6:52 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Hey guys,

My name is AJ and I've been around triathlons for a couple of years. I've done six triathlons (four sprint and two olympic) and have finally decided to make the jump into the bigger distances.

I've known about this plan for almost a year and a half now and I've finally decided to pull the trigger on a HIM. I have my eyes set on the Ironman 70.3 in New Orleans in April so I'll be starting the plan just a few weeks from now. I've done the first few weeks in the past (got started but did not really commit) so I am fairly familiar with the plan.

Anybody have any particular difficulties they faced while using this plan? If so, how did you overcome those difficulties?

Thanks and I look forward to training with this plan!

2013-12-03 10:43 PM

User image

New user

The Woodlands, Texas
Hi there! About one month ago I took the plunge and signed up for 70.3 in Galveston. I've done a handful of sprints but never do the proper training. Obviously you can't do that with a half! I'll start at the base phase in 1.5 weeks for a 16 week program. I'm super excited and scared out of my pants at the same time!
2013-12-05 11:36 AM
in reply to: adkuch

Extreme Veteran
I signed up for a HIM in Sept 2014
(PLENTY of time to prepare-- thank god!!)
daunting goal... yet a fun & exciting one.

biggest battle: ironing out race day nutrition & becoming a better cyclist
(starting an indoor computrainer program to work at the 2nd of the two issues!)
2014-02-04 9:10 PM
in reply to: nicruns

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by nicruns
I signed up for a HIM in Sept 2014
(PLENTY of time to prepare-- thank god!!)
daunting goal... yet a fun & exciting one.

biggest battle: ironing out race day nutrition & becoming a better cyclist
(starting an indoor computrainer program to work at the 2nd of the two issues!)

Same! I have been trying out some different things as far as gels, clif bloks, etc. trying to figure out what works best for me.

I just crossed the halfway point on the plan so I'm probably even a little late in the game to be figuring that out.
2014-02-16 10:18 PM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I just started round 2 of the beginner 1/2 training plan. I used it in my one and only tri back in July of '12 to cruise to a 5:36 finish. I was pretty stoked about this, but have been injured with back of the knee issues immediately after race, and battled all of '13 with what is looking more like some kind of tear in my calf.
I'm starting this plan by doing all of the swim/bike parts of the plan, but substituting the runs with stairmill/elliptical type exercise. This is a stretch for me, as I got into tri as a runner, and was beginning to look at ramping up for a 50K in '13 when I injured my calf.
I'm hoping to back at the running by May of this year, but it's all up in the air. I'm using this plan to give my workouts structure, build base for Ironman run in 2015, or 16. It all depends on when I can run again. I will probably cycle through 2x this year, and maybe actually compete in a HIM distance event in September this year, calf permitting.
2014-02-22 10:10 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Just finishing up week 19. Way more volume than I remember last time. I'm loving the 3x/week swim. I am not a swimmer, so these workouts really push me.

2014-02-23 9:03 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by kevinbe
Just finishing up week 19. Way more volume than I remember last time. I'm loving the 3x/week swim. I am not a swimmer, so these workouts really push me.

First four weeks are all base! Only up and out from there.
2014-02-24 8:04 PM

Hi folks,

Just started the Beginner HIM plan a few weeks ago. I was doing a plan that I put together after reading Friel's book, but the 10hour/week bottom end was just too much, so I switched over to this plan. My HIM is in July, so I am repeating week 20 and 19 to get synced to the race. My goal is to finish at or under 6 hours. I have only one Sprint under my belt, which I finished in 1:30 and come to this from road biking, running being my extreme weakness. So I'm very interested in seeing how other people have done with this plan. Oh, almost forgot, I'm 55 ....

2014-02-24 9:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Commerce, Georgia
you're gonna love New Orleans..flat, very few hills, zigzag Mshaped swim very nice...see you there,, this will be 2nd time there as last year was my 1st.
2014-02-25 8:43 AM
in reply to: kandk

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by kandk
you're gonna love New Orleans..flat, very few hills, zigzag Mshaped swim very nice...see you there,, this will be 2nd time there as last year was my 1st.

That's definitely one of the main reasons I picked NOLA as my first half; that and the tons of family I have there make it worth the trip. Super stoked!
2014-02-25 8:45 AM
in reply to: jwaldick

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by jwaldick
Hi folks,

Just started the Beginner HIM plan a few weeks ago. I was doing a plan that I put together after reading Friel's book, but the 10hour/week bottom end was just too much, so I switched over to this plan. My HIM is in July, so I am repeating week 20 and 19 to get synced to the race. My goal is to finish at or under 6 hours. I have only one Sprint under my belt, which I finished in 1:30 and come to this from road biking, running being my extreme weakness. So I'm very interested in seeing how other people have done with this plan. Oh, almost forgot, I'm 55 ....

I'm using this plan for my first HIM in April. There are some tough weeks in there but the recovery days/weeks are perfectly placed to allow adequate recovery. Good luck!

2014-03-20 7:35 PM

It's great to hear other have had success with this plan.
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to do practice HIM at my house. I have the facilities to do it, including the open swim....or should I go a practice run through in a shorter distance...thoughts?
2014-03-20 8:02 PM
in reply to: jwaldick

User image

Veteran
Commerce, Georgia
I do most of my training as all 3 disciplines back to back,, at distances upwards of 3/4's the 1/2IM distances...A lot of 1/2 the 1/2IM distance is a sweet spot. I then go back to 2 disciplines a day when I really hike the distances up. For an example these past 2 weeks consisted of 1-13mile run and 2-10mile runs after a 30 to 50 minute swim. The other 3 days consisted of 2-42mile rides after an upper body strength workout and 1-57mile ride.
I will take the 13 mile run up to 15 next week and lower the 2-10s to 8's and up the 57 mile ride to 70 miles and lower the 2-42s to 35's. The swims will need to get in the water soon as I do all my swim training on a Totalgym machine until closer to a Spring race (waiting for the lake temps to warm up here in central SC.

I have always designed my own training plans never following others.. comes from many marathons and making up my training as I go along.....
2015-01-28 10:56 AM
in reply to: kandk

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

There have been a lot of questions recently about the beginner half ironman plan so I thought it might be helpful to resurrect this thread for those starting into it.  Below is the first post of this thread stating it's purpose.  I have found it to be extremely helpful and a lot of fun to follow the plan along with others.

"If you are starting the Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan, come join in this group!  This group will connect you with others starting or already training on this plan. 

Post your introduction, background, ask questions  and get motivated!"

2015-02-02 11:30 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Week one went great.  The plan is a little light on running for me so I threw in a long run when I should have been resting and I skipped my long ride for a beautiful trail run.  Week two is pretty much a repeat.  So need to be sure I get the riding in.  Maybe if the weather is halfway decent I'll try to ride outside.

Edited by popsracer 2015-02-02 11:31 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150