General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lurking... Now Posting Motivations Day #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-19 2:50 PM

Charleston, IL
Subject: Lurking... Now Posting Motivations Day #1
Hello all,

My name is Seth, I recently turned 24 years old and have just graduated from college this past year. I have been a long time lurker on this site and used a lot of the articles for motivation in my daily life. I don't really know anyone on here so perhaps I should share some information about myself and what I intend to or plan on doing.

I've been involved with sports for as long as I can remember I was always that kid outside playing and having fun growing up, and all through my high school years I was actively involved in competitive sports and intramural sports as well. I took a year off before I went to college and in that time I became somewhat bloated, hahaha. And have since see sawed back and forth between good and evil as far as my weight is concerned. I 've never been a hard body and my motivations are not inclined to that dream. As of today, I am probably within a few pounds of the highest I have ever been, around 280. (I'm 6 foot 1, by the way).

The time has come for me to find solice in a real job and go out there and do it. I have been finding this increasingly hard especially as I do not feel comfortable in my own skin and lack the killer energy that I once had to take on the world. So in a few ways I a pretty insecure about my weight and my place in the world.

I know I need to make the change and fight the headaches and cravings that my body trick me into thinking that I need. I am fighting some addictions, some that are probably pretty typical in some of your lives (i.e. Caffeine, Snacks, Fast Foods, eating late). These addictions have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, my family never was a sit down dinner family we were always eating on the go and in ways my life has adapted to that.

I decided to post here rather then in the newbie section because, today is the official first step of a new life, of change ( I hear it takes 28 days to change a habit). I am excited about this and in ways am nervous as all git out, my family who I still stay with is not that supportive of my efforts and I hope to be part of the community here in my efforts to a new way of thinking and a new life.

My physical aspirations are to get to my target weight of 170. My spiritual goal is to grow as an individual and people helpful to others who are struggling with where I am right now.

I am new to the scene of tri but I am going to give my all and follow a set schedule both for my training and my eatting patterns.

Professionally my passion in life is golf and I aspire to ultimately make way onto mini tours across this country or a few others and eventually the PGA whether playing or caddying, I just want to be involved. My other passion is writing, and ever since I left college I have spent a lot of time working on a few different projects that right now are very important to me and maybe someday I will be able to showcase them to a greater audience.

Day 1

Today, I had the alarm clock set and all intentions were well, well things didn't start right, the alarm clock didn't go off or in my unconscious thought I awoke and turned it off. At about 9 am I headed for the gym were I started with a brief warm up on the treadmill followed by ten minutes of stretching followed by thirty minutes of arm weight training doing three sets of 10 followed by a cool down and another stretch session.
It felt good when all was done, but like I said before I am insecure about my body and that pot belly I have going right now. Everyone else looked good and a guy helped me with one of the machines and off I went. It's amazing how the mind will let you achieve or fail something before you even get started. But I went, I conquered and tomorrow will be a new journey. Tonight I plan on going for a walk with some friends and perhaps swimming a few laps in the pool.

Food:

So far today I have had two slices of fresh bread that I made a few days ago with some light butter spread, 4 long sticks of celery, 2 bottles (20oz of water) and about to head home and have a snack of bologna .

I know this is really long and please forgive me but I have to start somewhere, hahahaha. The long term goal is to 170, the short term (this week) goal is to make it through the week with an hour of cardio per day and an hour of lifting, dietary no snacks after 8pm (eastern), no fast food, no caffeine, and get a healthy doese of veggies condiment free, and not to way myself till end of the first month.

Day #1
Weight = 280
Goal = 170

2005-07-19 9:17 PM
in reply to: #202433

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Lurking... Now Posting Motivations Day #1
Good start!

Are you keeping a training log? Some of us will keep an eye on you!!
2005-07-19 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, CO
Great start, and congrats on making an extremely positive change in your life.

Motivation is plentiful around here.
2005-07-19 10:01 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Start posting this stuff in your training log (Ask if you don't know how to do that) - Everything past Day 1 could go into your daily log.  They are awesome.  You can put goals up (both short and long term), and then you have a record of how you are doing each day.  The best part is finding a couple of people who will come around and "inspire" you, give you encouraging messages, or even a kick in the pants if you need that. 

Of course, you need to reciprocate, by inspiring other people.

Welcome, this is a great place to be.

I'll keep an eye on you as well... look for some inspires, coming your way!

2005-07-20 8:46 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Welcome and congrats on starting down your path! If you've lurked here, you also probably know that lots of people on here use fitday.com to keep track of their nutrition and caloric intake. Keeping a food diary is one of the absolute best ways to get started on weight loss. Don't fall into the trap of taking in too few calories...use something to calculate approximately how many calories you need per day and make sure you eat enough and enough variety to support your training.

The article "Go Ahead, Do it Wrong" that was on BT awhile ago (http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=548) has some of the best advice I have ever read regarding getting started on a lifestyle change.

You're off to a great start. Keep us posted on how it goes.
2005-07-20 10:28 AM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Congratulations on your new start, Seth!  If you don't mind, I would like to offer the following advice, because I think what you are doing is just awesome, and I'd like to pass along some things that I have learned over the years:

It is very easy to feel all excited at the prospect of a new challenge like this, and dive in head first with extrememly high enthusiasm levels, only to burn out and get discouraged when you find out it can be a huge challenge. One common mistake is to make too drastic lifestyle changes right away that are simply not sustainable when perhaps they would be if you take them on more gradually.  For example, to have been a couch potato for years and years, then say you are going to start getting up at 5:00 am and go to the gym 7 days a week.  Whoa, too much!  (Not that you are doing that, I'm just giving an extreme example).  It's best to start with small, sustainable goals that you can achieve, which will boost your self confidence and make you want to build on them.  There are excellent training plans on this site, as well as hundreds of other sources of information that make it easier than trying to figure out how to do it on your own.  Ask people here for recommendations, you'll get many responses.

The other thing that requires a bit of education is nutrition.  I don't want to sound like I"m coming down on you, but two pieces of bread, some celery, some water and some bologna is not a good days eating.  I would like to recommend that you do some research on various nutrition books, ask people here which ones have been helpful to them, find one that you feel you could follow, and follow it for awhile instead of trying to do it on your own.  After you have followed a plan for a while and are comfortable with understanding what you are doing, then you can start to branch out on your own because you'll have a good base of information under you.

It is also very important to have a good support system in place, and surround yourself with people who support and encourage your goals, people who lift you up, not tear you down.  Most people find that when they try to make changes of this type, they encounter someone (or several someones) in their life who do not like the idea of this change and will try to consciously or unconsciously sabotage your efforts.  At least if you are aware of what they are doing, and understand that is about them and not about you, you can take whatever steps you are comfortable with to minimize the impact of it.

Well, that's it. I hope you find this info helpful.  I wish you the best in your endeavor, and I'll look forward to reading your logs and seeing how you progress.  The personal accountability of those logs, knowing that people are reading them can be a great motivator for some people.  It's like having a lot of virtual training partners!

Tania

2005-07-20 12:21 PM

North Carolina
First of all, I wish you the best.

Secondly, there are days when it will be a struggle to get motivated to hit the gym and eat correctly. What you do on those days matters the most, not the days you've eaten well and worked out.

Again, best wishes and I'm certain you'll make your goal!
2005-07-20 1:05 PM

Charleston, IL
I would like to thank you for all of your posts the past day and a half have been very busy for me and although I was able to take a few minutes to see some of the posts late last night I really did not have much time to respond to all of them.

I got all of my exercise in yesterday which is a goal in of itself. I love to exercise as I think most people would say the do but the actual clicking of the heels and going out to do it is my struggle. But today I succeeded. The great thrill of exercise for me is that moment when you are finished, the utopia, the high, whatever you will call it but it makes me feel better then anything in the world.

As for the later post, about food I truly understand and appreciate the comment. I am here on the East Coast now and I have grown accustom to late days and later starting times. So when I had posted what I had ate that was merely breakfast and a snack early in the morning.

I am glad to be here and I can relate with the highs of beginning a program and I think the keys to my success like you said are getting out there and doing my routine when I feel not normal and feel dull. I also agree with having a solid core of people around me, a support team and I would love to give support to others on here as well, through posting and chatting. I need it, because of the company that I stay with here who aren't as supportive. In the beginning we all feel like this is a struggle between man's body and man's mind and he can only do it by himself but I will say this you all will be very important part of my success and hoepfully I can be to yours as well..

I do have a few questions?

I would like to keep a blogger log should I just post on here or somewhere else? I feel that writing helps me stay on task and others can feel what I am going through at the same time.

Traning Logs, does that cost money? I have ne ver used it before but was reading some stuff. Would love to keep one along with a eating log.

And......

Is it wrong that I don't like the words "Work, Diet, or Job" I guess this is all a bit off topic but those words really aren't used in my vocab to much, they seem very negative to me and I try avoiding them at all costs especially some one says "Hey hows ur diet going?" I know they mean well but I don't want this to be a diet, it may be, but that word makes me cringe, hahahaah. I prefer hows the alteration to your life going hahaha.

Anyways I should probably get going, I am going to try to post some more with others and maybe make some friends on here. THanks again for all your comments and support.

Seth
2005-07-20 2:28 PM
in reply to: #203187

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
LP7SLIP - 2005-07-20 1:05 PM
Traning Logs, does that cost money? I have ne ver used it before but was reading some stuff. Would love to keep one along with a eating log.

The BT training logs are free and designed for the things triathletes (and budding triathletes) do most. They have nifty extended features that you can pay for.

Is it wrong that I don't like the words "Work, Diet, or Job"

"Diet" to me implies a short-term thing (and is way too often associated in my head with the word "Fad"). I always correct my mom when she says "how's your diet going" or "you need to tell me about your diet, I really need to lose some wieght". I know she means well and I am of course pleased that she notices, but diet it ain't. Lifestyle change is more like. I think "diet" lets people think that there's some easy, magic pill they can take or a gimmick they can do, and it's just not true.

"Work" and "Job" I like. Without "Work" and "Job" I'd have no money to buy tri toys.
2005-08-01 4:18 PM

Veteran
LasVegas
Great Job decided to make a change at such a young age. I waited a little longer. Now get after it.
2005-08-14 7:07 AM
in reply to: #203187

User image

Master
La Crosse
LP7SLIP - 2005-07-20 2:05 PM

Is it wrong that I don't like the words "Work, Diet, or Job" I guess this is all a bit off topic but those words really aren't used in my vocab to much, they seem very negative to me and I try avoiding them at all costs especially some one says "Hey hows ur diet going?"

Well, the good thing now is that once you are a triathlete in training, people will start to ask you, "hey, how's the training going?" or "When's your next race?" or "How'd your race go?" or "how long is a half-marathon?" or stuff like that. Much more positive terms . . .

2005-08-22 5:40 PM
in reply to: #224787

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA

Seth,

Great Post and Congrats on the Start.  The hardest part is the first step.

Here are some things that helped me along the way:

• Have a long term goal, but also smaller more short term attainable goals.
  • Just know that you will have weeks that will be bad, you will gain weight or eat poorly, but just set out to start every week new.
  • At the start I threw out all the bad food in my house (and yes it was costly) and replaced it with alot of healthier choices that were easy to eat.  When I was hungry I would grab the first thing in sight, and usually it was the worst thing for me.
  • I set out to not eat anything 3 hours prior to my planned sleep time.
  • I forced myself to eat breakfast, I hardly ever ate breakfast before.
  • I forced myself to eat 1 fruit a day, now, I eat alot of fruit.

I would suggest weighing yourself everyday and keep a log.  That will also keep you on track and help motivate through postive and negative means.

Good Luck

2005-08-23 10:11 PM
in reply to: #231221

User image

Master
La Crosse

Unh, I don't think LP7SLIP is here anymore, H13. At least, he hasn't logged on since the first of the month. I don't think he stuck to his very-ambitious plan. Prove me wrong, LP7SLIP! Log in and tell us about your month!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lurking... Now Posting Motivations Day #1 Rss Feed