YMCA
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 23m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was training for the biking part with a $100 mountain bike from Wal-Mart, this worked well, not a big investment as bikes can get expensive. The day before my triathlon I got my street bike race ready (was lighter, smoother). I test drove it and noticed that the gears slipped a little now and then, so while trying to see where the problem was while riding the bike, I drove off the sidewalk and crashed!!! I was a little angry. I scraped my ankles, knees and hips - they were bleeding. My hip actually hurt when walking up stairs - I think I bruised it. Anyways I was signed up so I had to go.

Event warmup:

I woke up very early, drank a powershake and some expresso. I was ready. My family and friends came down to the Mogadore Reservoir for the main event. Olympics were going before the Sprints. By the time I got there, got my numbers, got set-up in the transition area, it was time to go. I was running to the beach as I heard that somebody was giving directions on the race. I only got a few stretches in before I got into the water.
Swim
  • 42m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was a shot-gun launch, not in waves, I lost a few minutes by waiting for everybody to clear out so I wouldn't get swum under. The first 5-10 minutes I was a little breathless - the water was a little cold and I wasn't warmed up. I just started counting strokes like I did at the pool until I calmed down and got into a rhythm. During the swim, the sun was coming over the horizon over the lake - it was beautiful. At last I was able to touch the ground of the beach...I did it!!! I stood on the beach a few seconds to catch my breath. The swim took me 42 minutes, I was almost the last one out.

What would you do differently?:

Warm-up in the water before the race.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I wanted to get into dry clothes, so I chose the advanced towel wrap-around technique - it actually worked. My wife helped me gear-up.
Bike
  • 1h 44m
  • 25 miles
  • 14.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I had my camel-back of Gatorade, lots of power-gels (very important for energy). I was on my way sucking my first power-gel packet while biking out into the main roads which was the absolute worst part. Very big hills, I didn't stretch my legs at all...they were on fire. About 15 minutes later I was on the main road and much happier. I was soon to find out how horrible the rolling hills of Mogadore really were. Not that steep, but long. Anyways, the morning air was filled with the smells of breakfast coming from every house I passed. I was hungry! I was able to push ahead and slowly pass about 5 people. It took me 1hour, 44minutes for the 25 miles. Almost done.

Maybe get rid of this mtb?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Easy, just had my running shoes in the bikes rat-traps.
Run
  • 57m
  • 6 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

The last stage. After the long bike, it took me a while to develop my running legs - maybe even half of the 6 mile run. My legs felt very rubbery - the weirdest feeling in the world. It was starting to get hot outside but there was plenty of water offered throughout the run. On the way back, my legs came to and rallied. My stride was better and my run was stronger. On my way in, I kept getting stronger. At the finish line I felt I could run a few more miles...maybe next year...I ran long enough - 57 minutes. One cool thing about the run was that everyone going by you encouraged you to keep going...these are a great bunch of people.

Prepare for the run better, more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking around. I will do it all again just for the post-race. We packed everything up and headed out in search of breakfast. We found a Country Kitchen thanks to my wife. I had three plates of food: omelets, french toast, and sausage biscuits and gravy...I love breakfast. I was happy. We then went home, I mowed the grass (I still had energy!). Watched a few movies. I slept great that night!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Was my first tri, didn't want to get too excited and overzealous.

Event comments:

Great race...lots of people to help. Lots of drink areas AND lots of people help directing traffic at all intersections. Too bad the YMCA stopped holding this race in 2002. It was very scenic.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2003-12-23 8:33 PM
Swimming
00:42:00 | 1500 meters | 02m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Swim Trunks
Course: Out to bouy and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:44:00 | 25 miles | 14.42 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: A big box...winding hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:00 | 06 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Course: Back-rodes of Mogadore. Paved, some hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes