General Discussion Race Reports! » 1st Annual Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

1st Annual Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Medford Lakes, New Jersey
United States
DQTriDu
60sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 56s
Overall Rank = 158/302
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/17
Pre-race routine:

This was my first race. I did a 5k run/walk once and I got hooked and said why don't I try doing a triathlon because its something that really interested me. I have been a swimmer for a while and I just started riding and biking 2 months ago when I decided to do this race. So this is after 2 months of training.

I picked up my packet the day before. You get a timing chip, timing chip belt, road id number for the run, and a swim cap. Swag bag had a small hand bag with dqtridu on it, a license plate with dqtridu on it that says triathlete, and a few flyers.

This was my first race so I tried to rest up the 2 days before. Slept decently the day before till 8pm. Had a nice breakfast (chicken, rice, and clif bar; yes I eat a regular meal like that usually at 2am everyday) and then drove over. Got there early around 6am. One of the first there. The place where the race is held is beautiful. The community and log cabins were very homey.
Event warmup:

Got there around 6am. The transition area was setup but there was no real direction as to what to do. You kind of just followed the crowd and everyone was moving toward the transition area. The transition area was setup one or two racks long on a long wood deck and on some grass that led the bike out. The transition spots were set up as a first come first serve basis. It was a free for all with about 5 bikes a rack. Plenty of room to lay out your stuff. There were lots of decent bikes, most of them were roadies and then a few triathlon bikes for those who were more competitive.

The security however in the transition area I didn't notice. Family and friends were just walking through the transition area to get to the beach. It was a bit cold waiting for the race to start. Most people were in jackets keeping warm as it was in the mid 60s out and overcast. The sun started to come out as 730 approached and it warmed the race area up quite nicely.
Swim
  • 07m 57s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

The lake was beautiful. There was a bit of a steam over the lake which dissipated as the sun arrived at race time. The lake was warmer than the air. Everyone kind of jumped in after getting the pre-race briefing and paddled around to get warmed up. They didn't mind everyone swimming around before the race either.

The race start was in 5 waves. The race was on a private beach. It began as a in water start. There was really no start line. Everyone in the wave kind of just moved in chest deep in water and waited for the horn. Then everyone took off for an easy out and back. 5 buoys lined the course where you swam clockwise around them keeping them on your right. There were several people with wetsuits on. Most people however didn't wear one.

I took off, I started in the middle and went straight to the last buoy and back and felt real good. Passed a few people from the previous wave kind of just floating in the middle of the water on there back. I was assuming they were just resting so I did a little bit of maneuvering. As I exited the water I ran a little bit on sand to the timing mat where I ran down the long deck to my transition spot. Since I got a spot near the bike out I did not have to worry about the sand on my feet as it came off from running on the deck. No need to wash the feet.
What would you do differently?:

I would probably work on getting faster. I felt really good in the water and had no problem with sighting. I have to work on speed as swimming is my strength.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

As I ran down the deck to my spot, I took off the goggles and swim cap. I got to my spot and I got one of those what the heck do I do now moments haha. I threw my socks, shoes, glasses, helmet on and then grabbed my bike and took off. Short run to the bike out.

I did transition quickly as it only took me 1:53. Ranked 77th.

I would try to have my shoes in my pedals so I don't have to run with those clips under my feet that make it hard to run very far.
Bike
  • 42m 32s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 18.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Ran out and got to the bike mount. Hopped on and took maybe one extra second to get going on the bike. The air was chilly after the swim. I was a bit cold for about 2 miles into the race before I felt comfortable. I never did a brick with the swim/bike except once at the gym but I changed clothes before biking on the bike. The race was contested on country roads which were very lightly trafficked. You had to keep to the right as there were a few cars here or there passing you on the road. I almost felt like a lot of people were drafting as everyone was on the right side of the road but there really wasn't anything you could do because it was a one lane road and there were cars trying to pass you.

The roads were paved roads with some patchy areas here or there where work was done on the road. The corners were a bit bumpy and you have to take your time going around them but that could just be me as I slowed down quite a bit on all the turns so I wouldn't wipe out. Did I mention watch out for the speed bump around mile 7-8.

My bike felt really good. I was riding real fast when I started. I was averaging over 19mph at the beginning I guess because of the adrenaline. I had my garmin with me and tried keeping my speed up and fast the whole time. My garmin was reading 17.8mph toward the end of the ride but the race report read 18.8mph so I am assuming the course was a bit short. My garmin was saying around 12.75 miles. I wouldn't go exactly by that though as I was kind of spaced out in the transition and bike and I hit the start button after I made the first turn. Stayed aero as much as possible. I rode real hard the whole time. I got passed by several really fast bikers and passed maybe 3 or 4 slower people.

Around mile 3-5 my lungs started to scream. I am not sure if it was the cold that shocked them or maybe I wasnt drinking enough. The back of my throat down my esophagus was a hurting. I took a few sips of water and it helped a little bit. I think I might try to take a gel next time and see if that helps a little bit.

Around the 5 or 6 mile mark I thought I had a flat tire because when I was riding I felt like the back of my bike was slipping out from underneath me. I wasn't sure why it was doing that. I'm not sure if maybe it was because I pumped my tires up the night before however didn't practice take them for a spin first. As I made turns I could feel the back end of the bike slide through the corner as I turn. I wasn't sure, I thought maybe it was because I braked a bit but that usually never happens when I corner. I assume its because I was probably going faster than usual through the corner, possibly too much air in the tire, braking a little, little bumpy corners, or just crappy tires that came with my bike (continental ultra race tires on alex 220). Also on a few straight aways I could feel the back slipping around and I thought I had a back flat and started to worry for a second there but luckily I did not. All in my head haha. I was close to even stopping to check but I kept trotting along and wishing it wasn't because I never changed the back tire before, just the front and it would of been a nightmare to have it happen lol.

I would work on cornering more consistently. I still feel a little wobbly around turns and I get on the horns and brake as I enter the corners. I also have to work on my speed and get faster. Only been riding for 2 months now. I have a lot of work to do to get faster and to up that speed. I also need to work on nutrition and keeping from getting tired or all worn out.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

After the ride I wobbled off the bike. Tried to go faster and should of just came to a complete stop and then hopped off slower than how I did. The shoes with the big clunker clips on the bottom aren't easy to run or settle your feet on the ground with. I had a short run to my transition spot as I was very close to bike-in so I didn't have to run far for that.

Got my bike racked, shoes ripped off, forgot to unsnap the last velcro strap on both shoes so I just yanked them off. Then I threw my shoes on and grabbed my race belt and I was off.

Transition time 1:14. Ranked 78th for T2

See if I can get the shoes off as I get to transition on the bike and then hop off more gingerly.
Run
  • 31m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I kind of just lost it. I've done many bricks before but this time I just felt terrible. I ran down the transition area to the run course and then started running. As I got to 0.25 mile I had to walk already. I was exhausted. I started to run again and then I started cramping up pretty badly on my right side. I couldn't get even a quarter mile without having to stop running. I knew I was going to have to do a run/walk sort of thing the whole time as I never ran 3 miles in practice without stopping. The most I went was 2 miles continuously and I was exhausted (that was without biking before).

The first mile was the hardest. I was cramped up and my legs would not run. I probably ran 0.1-0.2 miles and then walked 0.05 for the first mile or two. Then I got to the water station. I walked the water station, no surprise and then tried to run after the water. My stomach started to cramp up even worse after the water. I could barely make it even a few steps. I knew this was going to be a long run for me. My goal was to get under 30 min. In practice i've done 28 mins.

I think I was probably the only person on the course walking part of it. I swear I must of been so slow lol. I think I saw maybe one person walking besides me. A lot, lot, lot of people passed me on the run, but I was expecting that. A couple other runners were giving me encouraging comments like keep it going and almost there. I was thankful for those and tried to run more.

After I got to mile 2, my stride started to kick in. I made a half mile run without problem and no stopping. I walked about 0.4 miles from the end because I knew I wanted to finish strong and then ran the rest of it in.

I need to work on my run. I ran one other 5k and I did that in 35min, so this is an improvement in 2 months training. I knew this would be the hardest part but I need to work on running more. I know over the winter I plan on running 4-5 or more days a week because I dont want to be the one who walks every quarter mile like I did today. Very upset with myself on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

After the race I had a cup of water, banana, and a clif bar. Then sat around for 5 minutes and the preliminary results were posted literally a few minutes after I finished. They were fast at posting them. Time was correct but placement wasn't definitive yet.

The food layout was water/lemonade/juice, granola bars, bananas, variety of sandwiches, fruit cups.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Several things limited my ability. I would have to say the nutrition on the bike as my lungs were screaming hurt for a while on the bike. Also I completely washed out on the run and need to get better in it. Hopefully this winter I can get a lot better. I have one more race before then but luckily its a shorter run so that is good lol.

Event comments:

I really liked the race. It was a perfect first race. The setting was lovely. I never rode or went on the course but the place it was done was very nice. The race was a little unorganized with transition but other than that it was great, especially since it was the first annual triathlon. There was a lot of great competitors there that were supportive as well as the crowd. Crowd support was at the swim out/run out/finish line. On the bike course there were a few people cheering outside their houses. Everyone was really great and nice. They were all very encouraging. I would definitely recommend this race for a first timer and maybe return again next year.

Last updated: 2010-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:57 | 437 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 64/302
Performance: Good
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Straight out and back
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:32 | 13.3 miles | 18.76 mile/hr
Overall: 120/302
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was many downhills with a few rollers. The course was well marked and had people at all roads intersections to point you where to go. Just watch out for speed bump. I almost didn't know what the guy said to me as he yelled speed bump and luckily I slowed down going over it lol.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:26 | 03.1 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 241/302
Performance: Bad
Course: The course was a straight, flat, 1.55 mile run on a road and back. There was one water station at about mile 0.9 as you go out. You could probably get water on the way back as you pass it but it was mostly for those heading out on the run, not on the back in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-28 8:56 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: 1st Annual Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 1st Annual Medford Lakes Colony Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed