General Discussion Triathlon Talk » jorge's winter cycling program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2010-10-13 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3136491

Regular
Subject: RE: jorge's winter cycling program
This program seems to be exactly what I need over the winter. Will this program allow me to blast 400 watts and give other cylists "the look" as I leave them in the dust in my neighborhood? j/k

seriously, as a new triathlete with only one race under my belt I think this looks perfect for the winter time.

2010-10-13 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3106153

User image

NC
I've got the Kurt Kinetic Power Computer on the way.  I understand it has limitations, but for $50, I figured it might be better than nothing.  At some point, I seem to recall someone posted a spreadsheet that did something related to this computer that sounds useful.  If I'm remembering correctly, does anyone happen to recall this or have it available?  Thanks.
2010-10-13 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3149983

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Goosedog - 2010-10-13 2:21 PM I've got the Kurt Kinetic Power Computer on the way.  I understand it has limitations, but for $50, I figured it might be better than nothing.  At some point, I seem to recall someone posted a spreadsheet that did something related to this computer that sounds useful.  If I'm remembering correctly, does anyone happen to recall this or have it available?  Thanks.

Here you go.

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/documents/Power_Curves419.pdf
2010-10-13 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3150047

User image

NC
windandsurf - 2010-10-13 2:45 PM
Goosedog - 2010-10-13 2:21 PM I've got the Kurt Kinetic Power Computer on the way.  I understand it has limitations, but for $50, I figured it might be better than nothing.  At some point, I seem to recall someone posted a spreadsheet that did something related to this computer that sounds useful.  If I'm remembering correctly, does anyone happen to recall this or have it available?  Thanks.

Here you go.

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/documents/Power_Curves419.pdf

Sweet.  Thanks.
2010-10-13 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Jorge, can you answer a question about Functional Threshold (FT) as used in your power-based workouts?

A few days ago I did my first 20-min and 3-min. tests to calculate Critical Power (CP) for 60 min., per your instructions on your blog at
http://jorgepbmcoaching.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-to-calculate-your-critical-power.html

I then divided the difference between the total joules (between 20-min and 3-min), divided by the difference in time to get my Critical Power, let's call it "CP1" (because I'm too embarrassed to post the actual number :-)

Just for kicks, I also input the values into your spreadsheet at
http://www.mediafire.com/?3e6raoaffunb6bl
and got a different number (let's call it "CP2"), which is 20 watts lower than "CP1".  By the way, I got the same value for "CP2" using Golden Cheetah (if I recall correctly, it uses Dr. Skiba's formula).

Also, your spreadsheet gives a projected power for 60 min. (FTP) which is slightly higher in watts than CP2.

Which value should I use as my FT value for workouts, CP1, CP2, or FTP?

TIA,

windandsurf.
2010-10-13 3:47 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
I just finished updated the cycling plan v3.0 and I'll be creating a few "how to" screencast videos so you can follow the sessions a tad easier. I also updated some of the testing and spread sheets so make sure to look for the new "stuff" available soon!

2010-10-13 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3150145

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
windandsurf - 2010-10-13 2:18 PM Jorge, can you answer a question about Functional Threshold (FT) as used in your power-based workouts?

A few days ago I did my first 20-min and 3-min. tests to calculate Critical Power (CP) for 60 min., per your instructions on your blog at
http://jorgepbmcoaching.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-to-calculate-your-critical-power.html

I then divided the difference between the total joules (between 20-min and 3-min), divided by the difference in time to get my Critical Power, let's call it "CP1" (because I'm too embarrassed to post the actual number :-)

and got a different number (let's call it "CP2"), which is 20 watts lower than "CP1".  By the way, I got the same value for "CP2" using Golden Cheetah (if I recall correctly, it uses Dr. Skiba's formula).

Also, your spreadsheet gives a projected power for 60 min. (FTP) which is slightly higher in watts than CP2.

TIA,

windandsurf.

windandsurf - the formula on the blog is a simple way to calculate CP, the excel file uses a more robust formula which considers your weight, anaerobic work capacity, etc. if you check the R^2 it will tell you how accurate the model is (closer to 1.0 the better) hence for sure use the excel file as it will provide a better estimate for your critical power.

Now, I am guilty in creating confusion regarding the use of the terms CP and FTP. We tend to use those interchangeably when referring to the power we can generate for 60 min at a maximal effort. The reality is that FTP is the only definition for that; IOW FTP = 60 min max effort. Any time someone defines FTP of a 20 min test a 2x20 min test, etc are just estimates of FTP.

Critical Power refers to the estimate of what we could do for 60 min using Monod's critical power model. Hence CP = to the estimate obtained using 2 or more short maximal test (longer than 3 min, shorter than 30 min) and the result of that is Critical Power.

Anytime I refer to FTP on the plan I am really referring to CP and I will make an effort to communicate this clearly moving forward. So, anytime you see a session based on a percentage of Critical Power I am referring to the estimate each of us obtained using 2 tests; a 20 min and a 3 min maximal efforts.
2010-10-13 9:45 PM

Regular
Jorge,
I don't own a power meter and unfortunately it isn't in the budget this year. I do have a Fluid2 trainer though and I am wondering if I extrapolate the powerband for the trainer and convert that into mph, and subsequently the watts, would I be better off for the program or should I just use HR?

As an example, when I set up the spreadsheet with the formulas, 14mph=153.44 watts, 15mph=169.2 watts, and so on. Since a fluid2 trainer is supposed to simulate a power curve where 25mph=400 watts, I feel confident that my formula works, as I am less than 1% off in my calculations.

I am thinking the training approach for the winter would be better in watts than HR since there are so many things that can make the HR be different on any given day. Any thoughts?
2010-10-14 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3151050

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
aswimr - 2010-10-13 9:45 PM Jorge,
I don't own a power meter and unfortunately it isn't in the budget this year. I do have a Fluid2 trainer though and I am wondering if I extrapolate the powerband for the trainer and convert that into mph, and subsequently the watts, would I be better off for the program or should I just use HR?

As an example, when I set up the spreadsheet with the formulas, 14mph=153.44 watts, 15mph=169.2 watts, and so on. Since a fluid2 trainer is supposed to simulate a power curve where 25mph=400 watts, I feel confident that my formula works, as I am less than 1% off in my calculations.

I am thinking the training approach for the winter would be better in watts than HR since there are so many things that can make the HR be different on any given day. Any thoughts?

As long as you set up your trainer under the same conditions each time it might work. The absolute number is not as important as your ability to track the trend over time and use the #s to gauge intensity each session.
2010-10-14 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3150393

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
JorgeM - 2010-10-13 4:56 PM
windandsurf - 2010-10-13 2:18 PM Jorge, can you answer a question about Functional Threshold (FT) as used in your power-based workouts?

TIA,

windandsurf.

windandsurf - the formula on the blog is a simple way to calculate CP, the excel file uses a more robust formula which considers your weight, anaerobic work capacity, etc. if you check the R^2 it will tell you how accurate the model is (closer to 1.0 the better) hence for sure use the excel file as it will provide a better estimate for your critical power.

Now, I am guilty in creating confusion regarding the use of the terms CP and FTP. We tend to use those interchangeably when referring to the power we can generate for 60 min at a maximal effort. The reality is that FTP is the only definition for that; IOW FTP = 60 min max effort. Any time someone defines FTP of a 20 min test a 2x20 min test, etc are just estimates of FTP.

Critical Power refers to the estimate of what we could do for 60 min using Monod's critical power model. Hence CP = to the estimate obtained using 2 or more short maximal test (longer than 3 min, shorter than 30 min) and the result of that is Critical Power.

Anytime I refer to FTP on the plan I am really referring to CP and I will make an effort to communicate this clearly moving forward. So, anytime you see a session based on a percentage of Critical Power I am referring to the estimate each of us obtained using 2 tests; a 20 min and a 3 min maximal efforts.

Thanks so much for the clarification, Jorge.  I am thoroughly enjoying the crash course on power training.

Pardon me for the stupid question: what is "R^2"?  I didn't find it on the spreadsheet.

Thanks, windandsurf
2010-10-14 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3150393

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland

Jorge, yes you are! Smile
This new Excel sheet brought a lot of confusion, at least in my head. Especially I see now amazing numbers which I can eventually trust for outdoor training. I explain you why.
I have 336w and 288w for 5mins and 20mins tests. This brings 272w FTP and this year I raced quite well with this numbers. My training zones are reasonable indoor, meaning I don't die doing the typical training sessions indicated by you and other books.
Now, if I apply these numbers to your new sheet with 68kg body weight I get an FTP of 290w which is higher than the 20mins test (done outdoor). Moreover, if I look at CP5, I see 330w which is lower than the test I did!
I think something must be reviewed in the formula because the risk is that with the new method, most of the people training indoor will be killed by the new table. I am pretty sure about that.
For example, now I am going to do an indoor 4x6mins 95% session and if I apply the 290w FTP, my girlfriend has to call the ambulance right after...I know the feeling of 275w...especially indoor.
For outdoor I can sustain better the effort, not meaning that the FTP is much different but for sure few watts more.
Anyway, being conservative IMHO is always a protection against burnout on the run in a HIM or an IM. so I keep 272w for indoor and outdoor analysis.
Finally, my opinion is that you should be very careful on suggesting such new table here in this thread. I prefer to keep the linear interpolation (I apply an exponential regression which works better, secondary approximation Wink )

2010-10-14 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Jorge - just curious as I make plans for this program: on the outline, do the total hours per week include the optional workout(s)? 
2010-10-14 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3152167

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
jsiegs - 2010-10-14 11:49 AM Jorge - just curious as I make plans for this program: on the outline, do the total hours per week include the optional workout(s)? 

Yes it does
2010-10-14 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3152242

User image

Master
Baltimore
JorgeM - 2010-10-14 1:09 PM
jsiegs - 2010-10-14 11:49 AM Jorge - just curious as I make plans for this program: on the outline, do the total hours per week include the optional workout(s)? 

Yes it does

Thanks....and "phew"
2010-10-14 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3151944

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Plissken74 - 2010-10-14 10:45 AM
Jorge, yes you are! Smile
This new Excel sheet brought a lot of confusion, at least in my head. Especially I see now amazing numbers which I can eventually trust for outdoor training. I explain you why.
I have 336w and 288w for 5mins and 20mins tests. This brings 272w FTP and this year I raced quite well with this numbers. My training zones are reasonable indoor, meaning I don't die doing the typical training sessions indicated by you and other books.
Now, if I apply these numbers to your new sheet with 68kg body weight I get an FTP of 290w which is higher than the 20mins test (done outdoor). Moreover, if I look at CP5, I see 330w which is lower than the test I did!
I think something must be reviewed in the formula because the risk is that with the new method, most of the people training indoor will be killed by the new table. I am pretty sure about that.
For example, now I am going to do an indoor 4x6mins 95% session and if I apply the 290w FTP, my girlfriend has to call the ambulance right after...I know the feeling of 275w...especially indoor.
For outdoor I can sustain better the effort, not meaning that the FTP is much different but for sure few watts more.
Anyway, being conservative IMHO is always a protection against burnout on the run in a HIM or an IM. so I keep 272w for indoor and outdoor analysis.
Finally, my opinion is that you should be very careful on suggesting such new table here in this thread. I prefer to keep the linear interpolation (I apply an exponential regression which works better, secondary approximation Wink )

Mostly all materials plus the program will be updated and corrected for the v3.0 to make sure all is the same of what I regularly use.
2010-10-14 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3152296

Regular
jsiegs - 2010-10-14 1:20 PM
JorgeM - 2010-10-14 1:09 PM

Yes it does

Thanks....and "phew"[/QUOTE]

x2 I was having a freak out moment...

2010-10-14 9:43 PM

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
When using Garmin Edge 500 as the display unit, what data fields do you recommend?  obviously evelavation and gradient are not of much use.  speed and distance plus time are my usual setup.  I'm thinking time on top, plus %ftp and cadance will be helpful.  Looking for suggestions for training indoors for power  and a second  setup for HRM based JWCP....

Regards
2010-10-14 10:28 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
And we're off and cycling for another off season.....

After doing this program for the last 2 winters I would add that numbers are great but just pick something as your baseline measurement, work hard, then work harder and use the same measurement and set up to assess your progress.

I remember that there was a lot of attrition over the season.  It doesn't matter what measure you are using if you don't do the work you won't see improvement.  That is the real key to Jorge's program....Doing IT!

Thanks Jorge!  I'm going to be a couple weeks behind schedule due to a surgery but looking forward to following the thread and getting started late Nov.

Edited by KOM 2010-10-14 10:30 PM
2010-10-15 7:58 AM

Regular
Raleigh
Just to make sure that I'm understanding things properly.....

The next two weeks are general "build-up" weeks to prep. for getting started on "the real thing" - correct?   I will be in Europe on business next week and won't have a bike but I'm hoping that my hotels will at least have gyms with bikes.

I don't have a power meter and will be using heart rate (Garmin 310xt).  Am I right in thinking that during the first "real" week we will be doing testing in order to establish our training zones?

Sorry to be such a newb about this stuff!

Thanks.
2010-10-15 8:40 AM

User image

NH
I don't have a power meter or the extra $$ to get one.  Donation accepted if anyone here has too much, or a spare power meter.

Since I'll be on a trainer, and the wind/hills/temp/etc are no issue, isn't speed essentially the same as power if I put a cateye (or whatever) on my rear wheel?  In other words, on the trainer, 20 mph means I'm pulling <X> watts today, and 20 mph means I'm pulling the same <X> watts tomorrow and every day thereafter.

I know the actual power numbers won't be accurate, but I'm thinking I can use relative watt numbers based on speed and power programs, and then use my MPH to at least get relative power.
2010-10-15 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3153923

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
wbayek - 2010-10-15 9:40 AM I don't have a power meter or the extra $$ to get one.  Donation accepted if anyone here has too much, or a spare power meter.

Since I'll be on a trainer, and the wind/hills/temp/etc are no issue, isn't speed essentially the same as power if I put a cateye (or whatever) on my rear wheel?  In other words, on the trainer, 20 mph means I'm pulling watts today, and 20 mph means I'm pulling the same watts tomorrow and every day thereafter.

I know the actual power numbers won't be accurate, but I'm thinking I can use relative watt numbers based on speed and power programs, and then use my MPH to at least get relative power.

This is basically what I do.  I have a Kurt Kinetics fluid trainer and made a spreadsheet that uses their mph to power formula to give me the appropriate mph ranges based on the CP test results.  So for example, I know what 70-80% FTP means in MPH, etc.  So if you have a fluid trainer this could be done too, I'm more than willing to share the spreadsheet.

BTW, the power numbers measured on a KK fluid trainer using a KK computer (which uses the mph to power formula) measured within the tolerances of a Powertap power meter, so using a spreadsheet method would be just as accurate.  The formula may or may not be exact for another fluid trainer (CycleOps, etc) but it should still be valid as any error would be constant.

2010-10-15 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3153923

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
wbayek - 2010-10-15 8:40 AM I don't have a power meter or the extra $$ to get one.  Donation accepted if anyone here has too much, or a spare power meter.

Since I'll be on a trainer, and the wind/hills/temp/etc are no issue, isn't speed essentially the same as power if I put a cateye (or whatever) on my rear wheel?  In other words, on the trainer, 20 mph means I'm pulling watts today, and 20 mph means I'm pulling the same watts tomorrow and every day thereafter.

It's a good start, but 20mph in one gear is more/less power than 20mph in a different gear.
Know your gears, pay attention to speed and cadence and you will be much more accurate if you don't have a PM.
2010-10-15 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3154144

Regular
Donto - 2010-10-15 10:44 AM
wbayek - 2010-10-15 9:40 AM I don't have a power meter or the extra $$ to get one.  Donation accepted if anyone here has too much, or a spare power meter.

This is basically what I do.  I have a Kurt Kinetics fluid trainer and made a spreadsheet that uses their mph to power formula to give me the appropriate mph ranges based on the CP test results.  So for example, I know what 70-80% FTP means in MPH, etc.  So if you have a fluid trainer this could be done too, I'm more than willing to share the spreadsheet.

BTW, the power numbers measured on a KK fluid trainer using a KK computer (which uses the mph to power formula) measured within the tolerances of a Powertap power meter, so using a spreadsheet method would be just as accurate.  The formula may or may not be exact for another fluid trainer (CycleOps, etc) but it should still be valid as any error would be constant.

This is exactly what my plan will be while using a Fluid2 trainer. I found the formula on bikegeek, and then ran a spread sheet to figure the formula. I am within 1% of the stated watts at 25mph that the trainer was designed for, so I feel comfortable with my numbers.
2010-10-15 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3153820

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
JollyRoger - 2010-10-15 7:58 AM Just to make sure that I'm understanding things properly.....

The next two weeks are general "build-up" weeks to prep. for getting started on "the real thing" - correct?   I will be in Europe on business next week and won't have a bike but I'm hoping that my hotels will at least have gyms with bikes.

I don't have a power meter and will be using heart rate (Garmin 310xt).  Am I right in thinking that during the first "real" week we will be doing testing in order to establish our training zones?

Sorry to be such a newb about this stuff!

Thanks.
correct and yes!
2010-10-15 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3154144

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Donto - 2010-10-15 9:44 AM

Don was kind enough to share a spreadsheet he did using the Kurt Kinetic power curve relationship with gearing and other cool stuff like estimate power for the sessions. I'll have it as a link on my blog under the "Notes and How to Read sessions". For questions about that excel sheet feel free to ask him more details.

Please refer to your trainer brand website for more information regarding power/gearing relationship.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » jorge's winter cycling program Rss Feed  

of 8