General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post-Season, Off-Season, Pre-Season Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-01 5:25 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Post-Season, Off-Season, Pre-Season Training
Hello,

I am looking for a little help on planning my training for the next few months.  I just finished my first "season" and would like to start looking forward to next season.  This year I completed 6 races (4xSprint, 2xOlympic) in about 4 months (I live in Europe and the season is short).
Next year I would like to do at least two Olympic and a 1/2 Ironman. 
Right now, I'm not sure how much time I should take off for recovery from the season (if any), and what activity I should be doing during that "recovery" time.  I am also trying to find some good off-season training ideas, and then, when do I start looking at preparing for the next season (the first tri will probably be a Sprint in April/ May, the first Olympic and the 1/2 in July)??

Thank you.

2010-10-01 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3127442

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Post-Season, Off-Season, Pre-Season Training
First, welcome to BT Rich!

Time off is an individual thing.  I would encourage you to take a few weeks and not worry about following any kind of "plan".  It's a mental refresh more than a physical one.  So, no reason you can't keep doing some workouts.  Just keep it fun and do whatever you think will make you feel good.

Then, you can start back up with a plan.  Many options.  You can focus on a single sport for awhile, or just build a basic week (or block of weeks) that you can repeat continuously, building volume as you go.  As a Silver Member, there are some "Winter Maintenance" plans you can check out here--at least for some ideas. 

If you build some solid consistency in the "off season", you won't need to do much to get race ready.  Probably think about an HIM plan starting around March or April.  Depends what plan you are using and what kind of "base" you have when you begin that plan.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post-Season, Off-Season, Pre-Season Training Rss Feed