General Discussion Race Reports! » Marathon Makeover Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Marathon Makeover Marathon and Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ridgeland, Mississippi
United States
Marathon Makeover
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 34s
Overall Rank = 116/468
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/39
Pre-race routine:

I was a little nervous about this race. Not because of the distance or any sort of time goals, but because this race was being run in honor of Richard. He had started as a volunteer with Marathon Makeover at one of their races and made such an impression on Mark and Robin that they hired him to manage volunteers at subsequent races. Of course, he was to have had a big role in this one. So, Mark and Robin decided to do something in his memory. They put his image on the race shirt with his name and dates, they called the cyclists, "Vesey's Volunteers," and Robin said some wonderful words before the start of the race. I had been crying since Friday. I wasn't sure I could manage to get through the run. There were a couple of moments, and I cried when I crossed the finish line and they hugged me. But it was wonderful, and I love them for remembering him that way.
Event warmup:

Overslept, but still managed to down some yogurt and coffee along with all my "performance enhancing drugs" (endurolytes, race caps, anti-fatigue, rhodiolia). Got to race site and just did some light jogging to get the heart rate started and blood moving.
Run
  • 2h 02m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I decided to approach this race, first, as "fun." I wasn't going for a goal time. That being said, though, I did hope I might be able to run right around 2:05. The course was flat and fast, and, although summer had decided to reappear and replace our low 80s with high 90s, mornings were still comfortable, and I didn't expect the temps to get above 70 for the 2 hours I would be running. (The marathoners on the other hand...) To try and keep pace, I focused on HR, maintaining z2-z3 for the first half to 10 miles and then pushing it the last part. I broke the race up into two 5-mile segments plus a final 5k (5, 5, 5). I kept the first 5 miles relaxed but not lazy. Cool and flat kept the heart rate just a smidge in z2. I upped the HR and the pace for the next 5 miles and clicked them off about 3.5 minutes faster than the first. (Note: bathrooom break in the first mile probably added a minute...stuped double knotted shorts.) The last 5k was supposed to be the fastest part of my race. But, oof. I was starting to feel it and the only noticeable hills came right there. Still, I was pretty excited to see the clock not yet on 2:03 (much less 2:05).
What would you do differently?:

Not double-knot my shorts so I can get in and out of the porta-john more quickly. Push just a little harder that first 5 miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Took the dog for a walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Last updated: 2010-09-07 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:34 | 13.1 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/39
Overall: 116/468
Performance: Good
Garmin had this at 13.28 and total time of 2:02:43 (I started with the gun, so about 9 seconds to the timing mat). HR averaged 156, which is just at the top of z2 for me. I probably could have pushed a bit more. Went with the 5, 5, 5 plan (5 miles, 5 miles, 5k): 1st5 miles: 48:48 Avg HR 148 2nd 5 miles: 45:11 Avg HR 157 Last 5k: 28:45 Avg HR 165
Course: Flat loop through City of Madison. (Marathoners did it twice.) Not particularly scenic, but not a half bad course, either.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-11 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: Marathon Makeover Marathon and Half Marathon

2010-10-12 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3144574

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Marathon Makeover Marathon and Half Marathon
Congrats on a great race.  What a wonderful way to honor Richard.  He clearly had a wonderful impact on many people.  You are very much still in my thoughts. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marathon Makeover Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed